PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Professional Tune ?

Old 12-18-2005, 04:28 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Professional Tune ?

Read this file from someones 02 TA with a Profess. dyno tune.

The engine is an NA Ls1 with cam only and the following bolt ons
Hooker LT's/ duals
228/234 .555/.575 @ 112
descreen maf
3600 converter
air lid
tr55
taylor wires

Share your thoughts on the tune.

VE Table

VE table 3D

cranking VE

High Oct table

High Oct 3D

PE table

PE table 2D

Old 12-18-2005, 05:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would have though your VE would have been a little higher at the top end with that cam. Im running in the 90's with stock cam.

Also that block of 30 degrees in the spark table looks weird, generally it should be a smooth map you can see the rest is nice and smooth.

Also it looks like you might be pretty rich in PE as well, though really you need to read proper AFR's as if the VE is out and depending on if you are running Block Learn (ltft) etc it will read differently from the PE readings.

What are your dyno numbers?

IMHO Id expect a smoother Spark table and some bigger numbers in the VE. Plus leaner PE numbers, maybe max of 12.5:1 at peak torque.

Almost looks as though someone just threw in a chunk of timing and left it at that. Whats the background?
Old 12-18-2005, 05:41 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ringram
I would have though your VE would have been a little higher at the top end with that cam. Im running in the 90's with stock cam.

Also that block of 30 degrees in the spark table looks weird, generally it should be a smooth map you can see the rest is nice and smooth.

Also it looks like you might be pretty rich in PE as well, though really you need to read proper AFR's as if the VE is out and depending on if you are running Block Learn (ltft) etc it will read differently from the PE readings.

What are your dyno numbers?

IMHO Id expect a smoother Spark table and some bigger numbers in the VE. Plus leaner PE numbers, maybe max of 12.5:1 at peak torque.

Almost looks as though someone just threw in a chunk of timing and left it at that. Whats the background?
I have still yet to see any dyno tuner's touch the ve other then maybe some idle stuff...this one obviously touched it but in a very general fashion. As far as spark table goes thats probably what cells hes hitting at wot so just through in a block of #'s. As far as PE goes, again its not going to match what his actual is unless the ve & maf have been tuned so those #'s are a mute point.
Old 12-18-2005, 06:47 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd bet the driveability on that car sucks! No way a VE table should look like that! Spark is messed up too. PE should be set at 12.8 to 13.0 and left alone. Never ceases to amaze me what so-called professional tuners put out.

People getting their cars tuned should make sure that they are getting a complete tune - sad thing is, most of the customers that we get in with jacked up tunes have no recourse with the prior shop becuase the place gave them exactly what they said they would - a "dyno tune". A real tune is not done on a dyno - at least not the majority of it! I spend between 2 and 8 hours on each car I tune before it ever sees a dyno! Then the dyno takes 4 to 6 pulls (1 hour tops) to tweak what I couldn't get on the street cause I didn't wanna do 120 mph in 4th gear.

My advice would be to discuss what the tuner is going to do to your car and make sure you are getting a complete top to bottom tune with a wideband, or go someplace else that will do it right!
Old 12-18-2005, 07:13 PM
10 Second Club

This isn't my car so I don't have much info.

I was able to read the pcm so we could check out the Professional tuning. The info that I do have is it dyno'ed 382 rwhp and 422 rwtq. Which I'm assuming was most likely through locked converter.

Just wanted to see what other thought about the tuning from the shots posted and would it been worth the money.
Old 12-18-2005, 07:39 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

eh depends how you look at it...on the dyno it may have made peak hp with those 30* of timing...also even with the pe setup the way it was maybe his reading WAS 13.0:1 all the way across...you cant really tell what it wouldve done unless YOU were the one datalogging really. Pros have their own way of tuning & from one to the next it changes.
Old 12-18-2005, 08:03 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by foff667
eh depends how you look at it...on the dyno it may have made peak hp with those 30* of timing...also even with the pe setup the way it was maybe his reading WAS 13.0:1 all the way across...you cant really tell what it wouldve done unless YOU were the one datalogging really. Pros have their own way of tuning & from one to the next it changes.
That is true about the PE - but it really should be the target multiplier (1.12 to 1.14) and then the VE and MAF tables should be tuned properly to get you there. A lot of people take the quick and dirty route on the dyno and slap some fuel in the PE. The timing should be smooth even if 30 was the good number - the idle area timing should be smooth too. And the VE has to be causing poor drivability with that brick wall!
Old 12-18-2005, 08:27 PM
10 Second Club

Lol!!!!!! I'm looking at almost the exact same bin file from a different car here on my laptop. If I had to guess it is the same tuner from NC. The drivability sucks!

DO NOT GO TO THIS TUNER. PM me if you want to know who. Don't waste your time.
Old 12-18-2005, 09:54 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

well with only a few tuners in NC im gonna go out on a limb and say cam
Old 12-18-2005, 11:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BLK02WS6
And the VE has to be causing poor drivability with that brick wall!
That's what I'm seeing too. WOW!
Old 12-18-2005, 11:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Whose car is this anyway?
Old 12-19-2005, 07:25 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by itchygomey98
Whose car is this anyway?
i can tell you whos car its NOT..... but he has a almost identical bin.... LOL.
Old 12-19-2005, 08:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Whats the dyno curves look like?
Its not unheard of for other tables to be used to tune rather than the core ones. I know some tuners "hide" there work in modifier tables and afterall it wasnt so long ago that messing with the IFR was considered good practice.
I like my tunes to be logical and have the "correct" tables adjusted. Its just good practice, common sense and easy to troubleshoot.
However if there are drivability issues and the curves look like Al Pacino's face, then its time to change tuner.
Old 12-19-2005, 08:41 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by ringram
Whats the dyno curves look like?
Its not unheard of for other tables to be used to tune rather than the core ones. I know some tuners "hide" there work in modifier tables and afterall it wasnt so long ago that messing with the IFR was considered good practice.
I like my tunes to be logical and have the "correct" tables adjusted. Its just good practice, common sense and easy to troubleshoot.
However if there are drivability issues and the curves look like Al Pacino's face, then its time to change tuner.
Old 12-19-2005, 10:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

check this one out..

Everyone has their on way of doing things.. After all there are no books on how to do it but damn this is

**person shall remain nameless.. Not getting into that crap so don't even PM me about it.

Old 12-19-2005, 10:40 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

tunercats hurts my eyes lol
Old 12-19-2005, 12:34 PM
10 Second Club

Never drove the car and don't know about drivability. This car had unfortunate incident R.I.P. No dyno graphs to show. Other with similiar tune may have there's.
Old 12-19-2005, 12:39 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow. Effects-based tuning at its finest. I think my Mom's Yorkie walking across my laptop keyboard could produce something that looked better
Old 12-20-2005, 05:55 PM
10 Second Club

These are the rest of the engine tables that were tuned. Really like the new compare feature in HP tuners.

Old 06-06-2006, 02:50 PM
10 Second Club

One of my friends went there and was not very happy with his numbers. From what I heard this is something similar that happened to him. His car only made 385 with Heads (11:1 comp. ratio), 222/224 cam unsure of lift but it is on a 114 lsa, LT's, and lid. I would go to RPM. Seems like there have been a lot of issues with cam lately.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Professional Tune ?