Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Next Mod: Big or Basic?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2005, 05:42 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Next Mod: Big or Basic?

Should I keep doing performance mods such as LCA's, clutch, nitrous, or throttle body or should I go back to basics and do plugs, wires, all new fluids, etc.?
Old 12-18-2005, 07:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

do the TB then do basic mods with left over cash. thats just my opinion though.......
Old 12-18-2005, 07:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

If you've never changed all the basic maintenance things since you got the car or they haven't been done in a long time then I would do all of that, then the other mods.
Old 12-18-2005, 09:42 PM
TECH Regular

I just hit 24K and I havent done anything besides oil changes since it came from the factory. If I do all the little things, what oils (transmission, differential, etc.) should I use and what are good spark plugs to use? Also, is there a point in changing the spark plug wires?
Old 12-18-2005, 09:45 PM
12 Second Club

I would do SFCs, LCAs, and clutch, that is back to the basics for me!
Old 12-18-2005, 10:26 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You probally dont need the basics, but you'll probally notice a difference in performance and the car will always thank you for maintaining her. Just my two cents.
Old 12-18-2005, 11:01 PM
That's what she said...

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HowellSoccer88
I just hit 24K and I havent done anything besides oil changes since it came from the factory. If I do all the little things, what oils (transmission, differential, etc.) should I use and what are good spark plugs to use? Also, is there a point in changing the spark plug wires?
The "basic mods" you listed, i would list under maintainance, not "mods". I use GM syncromesh in my tranny and love it. I use NGK sparkplugs and love them (ngk tr55's @ .050" if you dont have spray). I have a set of MSD wires i picked up from thunder which i also love (snap on very well and stay put).

As for differential, do a search. There was a posi-unit change over during the production run, and some require different fluids. Some require GM limited slip additive and some dont. Some can accept synthetic fluid and some cant.

Running the k&n part number 2006 oil filter is also a good idea. It's a longer version of the one for f-bodies and flows better and offers a little more oil pressure, plus they filter great and have a 1" nut on the bottom for easily removal

With your low miles, the car is just getting broken in though! Plus/wires are probably fine for now.

BTW - Do you have the factory shifter? Is it the hurst? If its stock, get a new one (pro 5.0 here and i love it), if its the hurst, get a short stick for it and you will like it more. The factory STICK is usually what causes crappy shifting. Its got a big rubber isolator connecting the stick to the shifter and has too much slack. As one of my friends said...

"put the pro 5.0 in, and it went from UPS truck to F1"
Old 12-19-2005, 01:22 AM
TECH Regular

Thanks for the input...I have the Hurst so you think I should look at getting a short stick? Something like Lou's?
Old 12-19-2005, 09:00 AM
12 Second Club

That is just a personal preference thing. I had the Pro 5.0 in my car when it was still an M6, and loved it.