Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

rear whinning noise? had it serviced still noise?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2005, 06:18 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rear whinning noise? had it serviced still noise?

had a pinion seal leak...no noise from rear...took it into GM/Chevy service shop.....had it serviced/replaced pinion seal...they took off cover n checked for gear/diff damage...no damage reported....2 days later a whinning noise is coming from the rear when over 45mph...what the f#$*? taking it back in to service shop...... but anybody have any advice or opinions?
Old 12-18-2005, 06:27 PM
11 Second Club

mine does the same thing. i was told that its tight, nothing to worry about
Old 12-18-2005, 10:19 PM
Teching In

I'm in the same boat as you, I'm 99% sure that my problem is that the pinion nut was put back on way too tight. You may want to see if they can put the correct torque on it, but you may also need the crush sleeve replaced.

Abe
Old 12-18-2005, 10:57 PM
On The Tree

Yup, Sounds Like Its Tight, But I Like It Tight.....anything To Keep My M6 Rear End Ring And Pinion Alive As Long As Possible WHEN IM REALLY STEPPING ON IT
Old 12-21-2005, 10:21 PM
On The Tree

GM shop manager told me it might just be a pinion bearing, but id figure if its that, then thats metal to metal....and with full oil? riiiiight lol, and ive been drivin it for a week...over 150miles so far, and noise hasnt gotten louder, and still only occurs only over 45mph, id figure....metal to metal or any internal damage....only hear it over 45mph? after 150+ miles it should get worse or sumthing lol, i dont kno im gonna juss drive it, and if it breaks or locks up or sumthin....swap in a mosar 12bolt lol....

let me kno what u think
Old 12-21-2005, 10:38 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 98TADRIVER
mine does the same thing. i was told that its tight, nothing to worry about
That's the thing, a pinion nut isn't like any other nut or bolt you use on the car, it must be tightened to a very specific amount.

I assume most of you guys know what a crush sleeve is. It is on the pinion shaft, between the bearings. When you tighten the pinion nut, you are 'crushing' the crush sleeve. The sleeve is a little ring that bulges out around the middle. If you compare a used one to a new one, you'll see the new one is much taller. The 'crushing' of the sleeve is what allows you to set preload.

Whenever you are tightening a pinion nut, you are changing the depth at which it interacts with the ring gear. The tighter it is, the more contact it puts on the heel of the ring gear. The looser, the more contact it puts on the toe of the ring gear. Ideally it will fall in the middle. You can illustrate this adjustment by painting the ring gear with some bright paint, and rotating the gears, allowing them to mesh.

To replace the pinion seal, the driveshaft comes out, then the pinion nut, then the yoke, then the seal. Thus, your pinion depth is being changed. When they put the nut back on it must be tightened to spec, which is going to be different for a used crush sleeve than a new one.

If they did a pinion seal and you are now getting a whine, TAKE IT BACK, the pinion depth is incorrect. Demand that they fix it correctly, because you had no noise when you brought it in. As long as you are on stock gears, they should make NO noise whatsoever.
Old 12-21-2005, 10:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TransAmAbe
I'm in the same boat as you, I'm 99% sure that my problem is that the pinion nut was put back on way too tight. Abe
Ding ding ding. Winner. But.....

Originally Posted by TransAmAbe
You may want to see if they can put the correct torque on it, but you may also need the crush sleeve replaced.
........Thats not the case. They are going to have to (at a minimum) install new pinion bearings, a crush sleeve and pin seal. The noise will not go away without doing just that. Not to mention, there is meatla particles floating around in your fluid...... no matter how many times they say they will/can/have flushed it.

I see this all the time........ and from dealership mostly. Only due to the fact that dont want to eat a problem that they just made worse, but that already had pre-existing problem. Its hard to justify on their end and hopefully your service manager will step up to the plate and just take care of you the way he should.
Old 12-21-2005, 10:40 PM
TECH Addict

p.s. don't you dare let them tell you that the pinion bearing may be bad (unless this shebang is covered under warranty). If you had no noise when you brought it in, it's their problem now!!
Old 12-22-2005, 12:20 PM
On The Tree

well thanks guys for letting me kno whats up, but unfortunately the gm service shop i took it to is run by dumbass rednecks who think theyre always right, i bitched out the service advisor and mechanic for telling me i need a complete rebuild for $1400 when i new i didnt, then went to the manager and he told me its the pinion bearing but he needs to take out the carrier and iinspect everything then let me kno exactly whats wrong and what i need, not to mention he claims he has had many f-bodys w/ 10-bolt's and says this happens all the time, blah blah 10-bolts always break, blah blah they cant handle abuse, my car is bone stock lol...and...@ 40k miles....bull-F@#$ING-**** lol, ...they already claim they did nothing wrong, that my rear was abused and worn, and **** just happens, and any additional service or work done ill be charged for it.........and im not taking it back there after all that bullshit.....

sooooo.....what do u guys think? 1. take it sumwhere else and get it rebuilt with a $100 rebuild/master kit with new 4.10 gears or 3.73's?....2. or juss keep driving it the way it is...and when if it goes up and brakes, just drop a mosar 12-bolt in? lol

also too....do u think i can drive it the way it is? will the noise eventually go away? if not will it stay the same or will it eventually get louder and worse?

thanks again
Old 12-22-2005, 03:01 PM
TECH Addict

I'd go for option #3, which would be to kick their ***. That's bullshit, they screwed it up and now are going to pin it on you. Know any good lawyers?

If I were you I would just buy new pinion bearings, crush sleeve, pinion nut, some fluid, and have that stuff installed. Your carrier/axle bearings should be fine.
Old 12-22-2005, 10:01 PM
Banned

i got FKd the same way at Key Pontiac in Beth pa last june...SAME STORY.....after i argued with them and got no where i took it to a rear shop.They took it apart and found the dealer mechanic somehow got the shims in the wrong places putting the ring&pinion lash @ 0...this wore out the R&P cost me 900 fking dollars plus the 500 dollars key charged me...GM DEALERS EAT COCCK...DON"T WASTE YER TIME and MONEY.Find a good NONDEALER shop and stick with them....yer bunghole and wallet will thank you.
Old 12-22-2005, 10:05 PM
Banned

by the way my rear was silent before those ****** at KEY Pontiac in Bethlehem PA worked on it.

REMEMBER.

GM dealers will ALWAYS FK yer car up....STAY AWAY FROM THESE LOUSY ******!
Old 12-22-2005, 11:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

$1400.......

Geeze. I should up my price. I do them all day long for less than half of that with better parts than what the dealship would use.

And that would be a Strange 12....... not a Moser. You'll get the same thing from Moser in, quite possibly the same amount of time.

And..... no. The noise and/or the problem wont go away. It will only get worse and cost you more when it finally decides it really wants to fail.

Id just opt for a bearing overhaul only. That should only cost about $350.
Old 12-22-2005, 11:50 PM
Teching In

I Agree, It Will Only Get Worse, Unless You Need An Excuse To Replace It, Fix It.

I Do Want To Say That Not All Dealers Are Incompitant. Some Use Pinion Depth Gauges Sent As Special Tools To The Dealers And Some Think That They Are Too Smart For Their Own Good. You Should Try To Find A Compitant Gm Store As Well As A Pro Shop To Do Specific Mods You Can't Or Don't Want To Perform. The Gm Store May Save Your A$$ Some Day When You Are Close To Warranty, And Or Broke Something While Still Under It.
Old 12-23-2005, 12:04 PM
Banned

another fine example of GM dealerships is OUTTEN Chey in ALlentown PA.....after they found the ENTIRE fuel system was ruined from bad fuel eatting all the metal parts they replacerd EVERYTHING fuel rail,pump ***,injectors etc EXCEPT the badly rusted fuel lines.I even asked them to check it carefully because after seeing the other parts were rusted so badly it was hard to believe the fuel lines were not.They claimed they were fine..BULL PUCKY....after driviung it a short distance the new fuel injectors thst they charged me 1200 dollars for started to jam up from rust that was coming from>.......you guessed it THE FUEL LINES.

STAY AWAY FROM DEALERS!!!!!
Old 12-23-2005, 04:08 PM
On The Tree

im a file a service document with GM and call them and let them know the situation, and then take it in and let the service manager take it apart and look at it, he said if he finds damage that was caused by them of course itll be fixed with no charge, but either way if he tells me theres damage and its not their fault, im goin to file a complaint with GM customer service and have them look into it, cuz im not payin a fuking penny for anything, and im not taking it sumwhere else and have to pay....

thanksagain
Old 12-23-2005, 04:14 PM
Banned

honestly you are just gonna get run around...i've been down this path before 3 times with gm dealers and gm...
Old 12-23-2005, 07:34 PM
11 Second Club

Thats a normal story after a pinion seal replacement in a month or so all your bearings will be pitted. The howling only gets louder. The real question is who trains these people?
Old 12-28-2005, 11:22 PM
On The Tree

juss got my car back from the dealer, they were alot nicer after GM called them up documenting everything, the service manager took the rear apart and there was no damage....no pinion bearing damage, no damage at all, juss normal wear on the ring gear he said which is causing the whine noise, also noticed wear on the spider gears. he checked the specs on the pinion depth and all that other specs on the pinion/ring meshing, and said it all checked out ok. said noise is only from ring gear and should last for a while on daily driving, but will wear faster and eventually brake a gear tooth if i abuse it or race it.....honestly i dont give a *** anymore lol, i didnt pay anything...im gonna drive it till it brakes then throw a 9" in there and forget about it for good, thanks tho