Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Moisture in clear corners

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2005, 01:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Moisture in clear corners

I recently put on clear cornres and halos, and am having a problem with both fogging up. On the clears its always on the side where the daytime running light isnt on, and the halos on the side where the brights are. I have sealed the halo's and made sure the rubber vents are open.

I'm wondering what I can do to get rid of this, my car hasn't seen a drop of water, just really cold temperatures and really warm bulbs I'm assuming.
Old 12-19-2005, 02:37 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

When I had my clear corners, they had moisture in both of them. I took them off and sealed them with silicone. They were fine for awhile. They started having moisture in them again. I took them off and lets just say that my stock corners are back on. The moisture damaged my corners and they have been trashed. I do not know if I will be getting them again.
Old 12-19-2005, 06:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Do you have ebay corners. I had the same problem with those the same week I got them. I got some new ones from RKSport. The quality is the same as OE corners and presto no more moistuer.
Old 12-19-2005, 01:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i bought some on ebay and put a **** load of silicone and nuthin yet. also i have the vents closed on them so nuthin gets in or out.
Old 12-19-2005, 01:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

I had the same problem with 2 sets of clears. I first bought mine from procarparts.com and they leaked and left like a yellow residue at the bottom of the light which looked like crap, then i bought the second pair off ebay and i sealed them before putting them on, and the same thing happened... So I just decided to get rid of them and black out the stock corners, and I havent had a problem with leakin since..
Old 12-19-2005, 01:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

My right side corner light got all that moisture in it so I took the light out. Got my moms hair dryer and put it down the whole where the lights go in and it dried it out.
Old 12-19-2005, 02:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Its just moisture on the inside of the lens, its not puddling in the bottom or anything. And when I went out and looked at it this morning, moisture all gone.

Any ideas? (Btw, I havent washed the car and it hasnt seen any water, its just condensation. They are quality similar to that of OEM)
Old 12-20-2005, 10:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

anybody?
Old 12-21-2005, 03:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

It is normal to get some condensation in a lamp. The GM spec is that it has to clear in ambient temperature in a couple hours. As long as you don't see standing water, you should be OK.

A note on sealing lamps completely too - DON'T DO IT. Those vents are there for a reason. If you seal a lamp completely, you are in for trouble. The problem is, that when a lamp heats up from use, it builds up pressure due to expanding hot air. If the lamp is sealed, the pressure will find a way out (probably through the wire harness). The problem comes in when the lamp cools down. As it cools, the pressure goes negative, and it starts trying to suck in air. If it cools when it is wet, it will suck in some moisture too. Once you get moisture in a sealed lamp, it is all over, because it can't get back out.

-Geoff
Old 12-22-2005, 04:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

After washing my car today, no water was inside of the corners, so I think I'll be okay. I'm just going to have to get used to them fogging up in cold weather.

Quick Reply: Moisture in clear corners