Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Brain fart

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2005, 09:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brain fart

When I worked with Lane on doing his LS1 swap into his Coupe, we used some 351 MAC Lt's and cut the flanges off and swapped them to an LS1 flange. Same port spacing etc. with that said!

How come no ones has used the 351 shorties for a coupe and cut the flanges off and turned the header around to use for an ls1 turbo setup???? The mustang guys have been doing this on their DIY kits for a long time now and they are holding up well!

Do they even make a shorty for a 351W in a coupe? Here's the answer to that question:

http://www.macperformance.com/store/...ategory_ID=354

Yes im aware the AC has to be removed and the alternator relocated. Big deal. Yes i have some truck manifolds already. But for those that want cheap tubular turbo headers heres your new idea.
Old 12-19-2005, 12:55 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1,736 Likes on 1,297 Posts

when i was searching for shorties i came across those as well.But decided why use them when there are perfectly good LSX shorties that work or truck manifolds that work.
Old 12-19-2005, 12:58 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

mustang shorties that may crack and extra work needed, maybe $150?

truck shorties that have proven their worth and reliability, maybe $50. i think it's just cause for what they are and how easily attainable, they just work.

not to say your idea isn't good.
Old 12-19-2005, 02:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Slow Z28
mustang shorties that may crack and extra work needed, maybe $150?

truck shorties that have proven their worth and reliability, maybe $50. i think it's just cause for what they are and how easily attainable, they just work.

not to say your idea isn't good.
Ive never seen a mustang shorty crack....plus you get the ease of ball and socket joints....I have buddies that have built their systems off of those things and not once have they cracked...I can get a set for about $100 bucks....Plus access will be just as good, just wondered why no one else was using them. I want a good spool time too...Nothing is wrong with truck manifolds, accept that they look hideaous.
Old 12-19-2005, 02:13 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1,736 Likes on 1,297 Posts

Thats why there are shorties for Fbodys...get em coated and call it a day.
Old 12-19-2005, 02:59 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by V6 Bird
Ive never seen a mustang shorty crack....plus you get the ease of ball and socket joints....I have buddies that have built their systems off of those things and not once have they cracked...I can get a set for about $100 bucks....Plus access will be just as good, just wondered why no one else was using them. I want a good spool time too...Nothing is wrong with truck manifolds, accept that they look hideaous.
yeah i honestly don't know. just one of those "rumor" things you hear happen. honestly, it's probably because of the slight hassle of rewelding flanges on compared to the simplicity of just using the truck manifolds. guess you would get to try it out first
Old 12-19-2005, 03:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by ddnspider
Thats why there are shorties for Fbodys...get em coated and call it a day.
My point is...

If im going to modify them, I might as well modify them in a manner that I can have the headers looking like a boat setup and I can hang my turbo down low...have the exhaust merge together on top of the turbo instead of coming in from the bottom. That way Im free and clear to have the down pipe go right where the AC used to be....Im brainstorming so any and all feedback is appreciated, good or bad. Im just looking at tubular Vs Manifolds...Some tubular headers are rediculous but for the money I think i can take some Mustang shorties and modify them to fit my application for ~200 original purchase included.
Old 12-20-2005, 04:06 PM
TECH Addict

spark plug changes don't look too friendly mike but who cares bout that
Old 12-20-2005, 04:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

You should try it and see how it fits and see if there's anything that you can make fit more efficiently...Don't let people hold you back...You may be on to something here...There's really only one way to find out...I've already got a setup but it would be cool to post your findings up for everyone as far as what you had to do to get them to fit, what brand of headers you went with, all of the stuff that you ran into during the build...
Old 12-20-2005, 08:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by red90cobra
spark plug changes don't look too friendly mike but who cares bout that
Im looking at the unequal lenght...not the equal lenght ones Srun
Old 12-20-2005, 10:31 PM
TECH Addict

try them out and let us know. how big of a turbo are you running? if you want to keep it on the dl it's cool. when do you think it'll be finished?
Old 12-21-2005, 07:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

try them out and let us know. how big of a turbo are you running? if you want to keep it on the dl it's cool. when do you think it'll be finished?
I know what I want to run...But i havent bought one yet...Im also looking at the F1R setup...A friend sent the rules off to Job Jr and the first thing he asked, "Why hasnt anyone built an F1R car to compete in that class? It would clean up!"
Old 12-21-2005, 11:42 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by V6 Bird
I know what I want to run...But i havent bought one yet...Im also looking at the F1R setup...A friend sent the rules off to Job Jr and the first thing he asked, "Why hasnt anyone built an F1R car to compete in that class? It would clean up!"
what series are you talking bout texastrueten5 truestreet class??
Old 12-21-2005, 01:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

what series are you talking bout texastrueten5 truestreet class??
possibly...i really dont care much for the rules in the LS1tech series stuff...

Quick Reply: Brain fart