Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

What oil for TrueTrac?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2005, 11:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What oil for TrueTrac?

I've been hearing conflicting information rather I should use synthetic or not. I'm having a difficult time getting through to Eaton Automotive (truetrac manufacturer)

I ran 500 miles easy driving with mineral based and just refilled with synthetic yesterday. Anyone?
Old 12-19-2005, 02:05 PM
On The Tree

From what I have been told, and the papers that came with may 12 bolt and True track said, nothing but 90 weight gear oil. No synthedics.
Old 12-19-2005, 02:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks. I just got off the phone with Eaton and they recommend petroleum base. Looks like I will be under the car again tonight.
Old 12-19-2005, 06:18 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by SSpeedracer
I've been hearing conflicting information rather I should use synthetic or not. I'm having a difficult time getting through to Eaton Automotive (truetrac manufacturer)

I ran 500 miles easy driving with mineral based and just refilled with synthetic yesterday. Anyone?
I thought Detroit made the True trac?? (Did Eaton buy out Detroit Locker??) Being a worm gear/Torsen type diff, you should be able to run synthetics in it, but some still say to use petroleum fluids only (for whatever reason).
Old 12-20-2005, 01:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

If you dig into the website or phone message system it is now Eaton automotive. I dont know the details.
I did not recieve a solid answer from anyone. Viscosity is viscosity right? As long as each lubricant meets the same standard it shouldnt make a difference... but I had two sources say dont use synthetic because it is too "light." One source straight from tracktech/eaton. Yet when I asked if 140 petroleum was OK there was a little hesitation. Seems like maybe its word of mouth and not scientific.

The only comment I recieved from my tranny guy was to heat cycle with petroleum base during break in as the synthetic would disipate too much heat.
Old 12-23-2005, 10:18 AM
12 Second Club

nobady has a deff answer on this, but when breaking almost any mech part dino products do better, I have a trutrac in my car also, and after two rear oil changes I put royal purpal back in and have noticed it working better than regular oil.I have about 50,000 miles on mine and half of that was with dino lube.