Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Anyone using an AAM cover?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2005, 01:46 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Anyone using an AAM cover?

I just got back from the junkyard to look at a '97 SS. I ended up helping the owner out with a few things so I picked up this AAM cover off the SS for free. (the car looks like a train hit it so I couldn't find much else...except for the six speed which I still might get, for $1700 complete).
This cover is just a thick aluminum cover. I did a google search to find that SLP now sells these for $99.
Anyone use one of these? Guess I'll put it on because I have it. It's not the type with the preload bolts though.
Here is a pic of one.
Old 12-21-2005, 08:02 AM
Banned

Someone emailed me about this and I accidentally deleted it. If you're the person I'm going to keep it.
Old 12-21-2005, 09:12 AM
Sweet Cheeks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It does nothing for strength as the TA girdle does. It's more for looks and cooling I believe.

It you got it for free, at least it looks nice.

Get a TA later.
Old 12-21-2005, 09:53 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Dear John
It does nothing for strength as the TA girdle does. It's more for looks and cooling I believe.

It you got it for free, at least it looks nice.

Get a TA later.
Thats what I'm thinking. With the loudmouth exhaust you can see the diff cover from behind the car. So it's really just for looks.
Actually the car it came off of was hit so hard the right axle tube was broken off, the cover wasn't touched. I don't know what that has to do with anything.
It was free, can't go wrong.
Old 12-22-2005, 08:32 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jxaxsxoxn
It was free, can't go wrong.
You could go wrong! I think that cover diverts fluid into the axle tubes for cooling and it may require a slight modification to the housing so fluid can flow back to the center section. You should contact SLP for details.

Last edited by Gary Z; 12-22-2005 at 08:42 PM.
Old 12-22-2005, 09:28 PM
Banned

Yes I found that somehow. The instructions that has cutout templates, i printed them out, you put the template up to where the side bearings go and grind a small channel into the case, this allows oil to drain back.
Kind of sucks to have to pull the diff to modify the housing to put a cover on just for looks.
I doubt I need a cooler rear, maybe it'll be enough to keep the oil thick and leak less out of the pinion seal.