Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

coated qtp's or uncoated qtp's

Old 12-20-2005, 02:38 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coating headers to reduce effective diameter

I feel like I'm borderline between going with 1 3/4's and 1 7/8 in QTP LT's. My engine displaces 402 cubic inches with some awesome heads. From what I've found it is best to only go with larger primaries if you've got a bigger displacement engine than what I've got, maybe someone with a 427 or something. My goal is to build up my engine to produce lots of low and mid range torque. I was considering going with the larger QTP primaries and then having them coated by Jet Hot with two coats inside and out. I'd get the benefits of the added insulation with a small diameter reduction to boost torque. Do you think the coatings would reduce the effective diameter enough so that I don't lose too much low end grunt? What do you think of this?

Last edited by squealingtires; 12-20-2005 at 03:24 PM.
Old 12-20-2005, 02:48 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i think the coating on QTPs is unecesary.. QTPs wont rust...and they are made of a high grade stainless steel..as far as the size for a 402 the general rule of thumb says once you go up in displacement you can benefit from going bigger on the headers. but it also depends on what type of components your 402 will have...(size of cam and so on).

Search this Thread