Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil in in my 6.0L's TB, Intake and Heads

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2005, 11:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Oil in in my 6.0L's TB, Intake and Heads

From the day I bought the truck I have always had an oil consumption problem. I have an LQ4 with IRON heads, 60K on the truck, & it is 6 years old.

Getting ready to install the Radix.....

On Friday, went for inspection and passed without a problem

On Saturday, did some prep work.
I sampled the oil like I normally do when I am ready for a change, ran some top cleaner (AMSOIL POWER FOAM) with the truck running , took it for a ride to blow out all the stuff, added AMSOIL ENGINE CLEANER, ran it on fast idle for 20 minutes, then drained and changed the oil. Everything seemed fine.

Figure, that should make everything clean as a whistle.

TUESDAY (today), I pulled the intake and all the ports in the cylinder head were black and wet with oil. Also, the back of the TB, the PCV valve and the EGR connector are all stained black.

1st question:
Should I attempt to clean the INSIDE of intake ports with a rag and maybe brake cleaner. Was going to take off the rockers to ensure all hte valve close before I attempt this. If so, what should I clean it with? Something like Top cleaner?

2nd question:
How can I prevent this? I have a catch can filtering the L/H side but it is always clean - not a drop. So I don't think it's that side so I suspect my problem is with the EGR and the PCV valve.

I don't want run the EGR if it is pulling oil from the exhaust. Any problems if I disconnet it and make a block off plate for my exhaust manifold? I am not worried about the codes.

As for the PCV, can I move my catch can in the middle of that run from the L/H side and the blower manifold? I don't want this oil **** going into the blower.

I'll try to get the pics up. I think I will check plugs and maybe do a comp test too while im in here.

edit- pics added

Pretty cruddy TB

black ports

Actually saw a puddle of oil in the track near the valve stem

damn, this is rusty

So rusty that tape wouldn't stick on the heads and i had to cover each individual port

Thanks

Last edited by BLASTER; 12-21-2005 at 12:38 AM.
Old 12-21-2005, 12:16 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As far as the EGR there wont be any problems if you just get plates for it, the culprit is most likely your PCV valve/system for the oil, there are cheap conversions and expensive ones, you just have to see what you want. Also i know with any kind of top deck cleaner that you suck up through a vaccum line is best to leave it overnight to break up all the build up then start it in the morning and let it smoke like a train until its normal again. You shouldnt have to wipe down the intake etc. unless its REALLY bad, and Sea Foam and/or Engine Cleaner hasn't worked but if you do make sure it is free of any lint etc. before you put it back on (im sure you know that but theres those people that think an airfilter is for looks) That should at least get you started, good luck.
Old 12-21-2005, 12:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 98NBM_TransAm
As far as the EGR there wont be any problems if you just get plates for it, the culprit is most likely your PCV valve/system for the oil, there are cheap conversions and expensive ones, you just have to see what you want. Also i know with any kind of top deck cleaner that you suck up through a vaccum line is best to leave it overnight to break up all the build up then start it in the morning and let it smoke like a train until its normal again. You shouldnt have to wipe down the intake etc. unless its REALLY bad, and Sea Foam and/or Engine Cleaner hasn't worked but if you do make sure it is free of any lint etc. before you put it back on (im sure you know that but theres those people that think an airfilter is for looks) That should at least get you started, good luck.
it's pretty bad....im posting pics now. i plan to use a lint free cloth

ya mean i can't just leave the paper towles in there and let the engine blow them out

on a more serious note, i actually already had bits and pieces of leaves fall in when i pulled the intake; had to stick the vaccuum crevesce tool down there. hopefully i got everything.
Old 12-21-2005, 01:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Will be interesting to see what it dyno's after you install the Radix.
Old 12-21-2005, 01:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would like to know the cause of this as well. I seafoamed my car and I think it is starting to burn oil.
Old 12-21-2005, 02:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 777
I would like to know the cause of this as well. I seafoamed my car and I think it is starting to burn oil.

My truck has always burned oil. gonna run out now and et some cleaner. just cracked my EGR bolt off in the exhaust manifold which is always good
figure it's a good time to take a break. makes me want to pull the trigger and go for a set of SW headers and a set of 6.0 heads.

Anyone know where I can get a good low compression pair for cheap?

Only thing that worries me is what i find in the engine. Wonder if the rings are sealing properly. Guess I'll have to wait to do te comp test till I can start it and warm it up.

EGR and PCV valve don't look too cruddy so what else could it be thats blowing the **** into the intake? EVAP? What is that anyway?
Old 12-21-2005, 02:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 99 2500
Will be interesting to see what it dyno's after you install the Radix.
well the average is 120 - 140HP at the rears. My baseline was pretty pitaful for a 6.0L. We hit the speed limiter in 3rd, so we dynoed in 2nd. TQ was flat but then fell off a cliff at 3500-4K, so it never even got high in the HP. Damn, my car has more low end @ 2K then the truck. I have the files but my other laptop is down at hte moment with hte data. The A/F was l14:1 so it was very lean. I am hoping with the oil and the Magnason tune I get a little more and recover hte lost HP that should have been presnt at baseline.
Old 12-21-2005, 02:31 PM
TECH Resident

Default Oil Problem?

Hey, Try Putting A New Pcv Valve In It. My Freinds Silverado Had The Same Thing Happen To It, But It Was Because The Local Oil Change Place Put The Wrong Pcv Valve In It. Ture Story. He Put A New Correct Part # One In It, And No More Problem. Good Luck
Old 12-21-2005, 03:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Bigrob339
Hey, Try Putting A New Pcv Valve In It. My Freinds Silverado Had The Same Thing Happen To It, But It Was Because The Local Oil Change Place Put The Wrong Pcv Valve In It. Ture Story. He Put A New Correct Part # One In It, And No More Problem. Good Luck
Did that last Sept. gonna get a new one.
Old 12-21-2005, 03:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just got a new one. I will install it today. I need to do a leakdown as well. Not enough time though.