Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS6/LS1 owners noticing more than normal oil consumption? I can help!

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2005, 03:19 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LS6/LS1 owners noticing more than normal oil consumption? I can help!

I tried to do a search but for some reason all that came up was a page that said "page cannot be found" So I will post again for people who may have missed this.

I was reading through the service bulletins, and found one for too much oil consumption on the LS6 engines.

When this concern has been brought up, dealerships were told to replace rings and engine valley cover.

Here is the service bulletin info:

Higher Than Expected Oil Consumption (Replace Rings and Engine Valley Cover) #01-06-01-023A - (Jun 19, 2002)

Higher Than Expected Oil Consumption (Replace Rings and Engine Valley Cover)
1999-2001 Chevrolet Camaro

1999-2002 Chevrolet Corvette

1999-2001 Pontiac Firebird

with 5.7L Engine (VINs G, S -- RPOs LS1, LS6)

This bulletin is being revised to add model years for the Corvette, information on the LS6 engine and parts information. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 01-06-01-023 (Section 6 - Engine).

Condition
Some owners may comment on higher than expected oil consumption. When checked, the oil consumption could be in the range of 400-600 miles per quart (700-1000 km/L).

On the LS6 engine only, the technician may find oil behind the engine throttle plate and in the intake manifold.

Cause
The cause for this condition may be an interaction between the piston rings and the cylinder bore in vehicles that are operated at higher RPMs -- typically manual transmission vehicles driven in a manner where the engine is frequently or consistently operating at greater than 3200 RPM.

On the LS6 engine only, the engine has a unique aluminum valley cover that has composite oil separating baffles and PCV plumbing incorporated. In some cases, the PCV baffle may not be properly sealed to the valley cover, causing oil to enter the PCV system.

Correction
On the LS6 engine only, replace the engine valley cover if oil is found behind the throttle body or in the intake manifold before replacing the piston ring. Refer to Engine Valley Cover Replacement in the Engine Mechanical - 5.7L subsection of the Corvette Service Manual.

A new set of piston rings is currently available through GMSPO. The new rings are part of a complete piston ring kit. Install only the number 2 compression ring and the oil expander ring from the piston ring kit. All other rings in the piston ring kit should be discarded. The original number 1 compression ring and the oil ring rails should be re-used in their original positions on the piston. All pistons should be used in the same cylinder bore.

Important
Do not dress or hone the cylinder bore. Nothing should be done to change the bore finish for this condition. Changing the bore finish may aggravate the condition.

Refer to the Unit Repair Manual for appropriate ring removal and replacement procedure.

The number 1 compression ring and the upper and lower oil expander rails are re-used because they are already broken in for the bore that they are in. The new number 2 compression ring is made with a very sharp edge that will break in quickly.

Changing only the piston rings noted, with no change in driving style, should change oil consumption to an acceptable level. Changes in driving style that reduce the amount of time spent at higher RPMs will also positively affect oil consumption.

In addition to the standard size piston ring kit listed below, a 0.25 mm oversized piston ring kit is available. The oversized piston ring kit should only be used in those rare instances where the cylinder bore size has been machined larger to accommodate the 0.25 mm oversized piston rings.

Part #12568002
Description: Valley Cover
Qty:1

Part #88984247
Desc:Ring Kit, Piston
Qty:8

Parts are currently available from GMSPO.

Warranty Information
For vehicles repaired under warranty, use:

J0250
Manifold or Gasket Intake - Replace Manifold

J1307
Piston, Rod and/or Rings -- Replace, Both Banks
Old 12-21-2005, 03:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

Is there any way someone can make this a sticky?? It'll probably just get swallowed up after a few days.
Old 12-21-2005, 03:44 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

PCV systems on LS1's are known for eating engine oil. Some people install a "catch can" and more than half of their "missing" oil turns up there.
Old 12-21-2005, 03:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had this work done to my 2001 C5 under warranty... oil use went to nothing and my exhaust tips stay cleaner longer...

Old 12-21-2005, 04:01 PM
TECH Resident

now it says on the ls6 to fix this does it also apply to the ls1 as far as the dealer is concerned
Old 12-21-2005, 04:11 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hmmmmmmm...I just did the LS6 valley cover, and am still running my catch can. I'll have to see how much is in there at this point...I have a feeling my rings are still letting some through, but my oil consumption is not excessive compared to the type of driving I do, so it'll be addressed when (not if) I get a new engine.
Old 12-21-2005, 04:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

I go low every 1-2K miles, usually use two quarts between changes. Anything about the LQ4 engines. Mine has always had this problem and the dealer just kept blowing me off.

Bullshit, high RPMS. I can count the number of times my truck has seen above 3200. Muine was black behind theTB and black inside the valve covers too.
Old 12-24-2005, 10:40 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by BLASTER
I go low every 1-2K miles, usually use two quarts between changes. Anything about the LQ4 engines. Mine has always had this problem and the dealer just kept blowing me off.

Bullshit, high RPMS. I can count the number of times my truck has seen above 3200. Muine was black behind theTB and black inside the valve covers too.
I'm NOT trying to be an ***, but unless your truck has an LS1/LS6, I am doubting your problem has a whole lot of relevance to this bulletin. Its for LS1/LS6 ONLY if you didnt catch that.

Sure there may be a problem w/ LQ4/LQ9 consuming oil, but there isnt a bulletin that I noticed as of now.

I would hope you would check your oil more than every 3,000 miles! I would be afraid to be red lining any engine 2 quarts low! Yes there are 6 qts in them, that doesnt mean its safe to run them 2 qts low!
Old 12-25-2005, 09:38 PM
On The Tree

my car goes through 1 1/2 quarts every 3,000 miles. i use mobil 1 synthetic 5w 30 oil. my car has just under 16,000 miles. it is a 6 speed ,should i be concerned about this much oil consumption?
Old 12-25-2005, 10:24 PM
TECH Resident

No that i think could be deemed as acceptible. Sure there will be people posting that their cars use NO oil, but the truth is.. These cars do use a little oil. Depending on how you drive will dictate more or less oil loss.. No 2 people drive the same, so its hard to say what amount should be lost at 3k for all cars. I wouldnt worry about it!
Old 12-25-2005, 11:08 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Honestly, I think a lot of these cars could use a nice re-ring. Hell...I'd be happy if I could just stop pulling oil through my PCV. I've got one more thing I can try before I just hook the damn thing up to my shop vac.

Quick Reply: LS6/LS1 owners noticing more than normal oil consumption? I can help!