Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

exhaust leak???

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2005, 09:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default exhaust leak???

What are the common symtoms of an exhaust leak? I ticking sound comming from where my headers connect to my exhaust. If not a leak, what could this be? Thanks!!

Justin
Old 12-21-2005, 09:42 PM
SSU's Drunk Typing Whore

Just feel around with your hand you should feel the leak.
Old 12-22-2005, 12:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

oh ok. do you know what this ticking could be?
Old 12-22-2005, 12:31 AM
SSU's Drunk Typing Whore

Could be anything I guess. I have always had a ticking sound from around there myself. So I am not sure if its normal...
Old 12-22-2005, 02:45 AM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

EGR vavle. when the gaskets on that go bad or somewhere on the right side of the engine the EGR will start ticking. my guess is youll get a code saying EGR circut low.
Old 12-22-2005, 10:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

well the ticking isnt comming from the engine bay neccessarily. i almost cant hear it when im standing in front of my car looking into the engine. but when i am sitting in the car with the windows down or outside the car, and especially under the car, i can hear it comming directly from where my collectors meet the exhaust.
Old 12-22-2005, 10:39 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by nokeman
well the ticking isnt comming from the engine bay neccessarily. i almost cant hear it when im standing in front of my car looking into the engine. but when i am sitting in the car with the windows down or outside the car, and especially under the car, i can hear it comming directly from where my collectors meet the exhaust.
I am haveing the same problem ..... Ive checked for leaks ,and retighten all bolts.Only leak i have is a small one at the Y/I pipe.(no biggE)... The tick on pass.side went a way after i found 1 spark plug little lose.But no luck on the driver side...I can only hear it when iam under the car or at the drive thou with the sound bounce N off the wall,,,,ITS DRIVEN ME NUTS.....
Old 12-22-2005, 11:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bitchncamaro
I am haveing the same problem ..... Ive checked for leaks ,and retighten all bolts.Only leak i have is a small one at the Y/I pipe.(no biggE)... The tick on pass.side went a way after i found 1 spark plug little lose.But no luck on the driver side...I can only hear it when iam under the car or at the drive thou with the sound bounce N off the wall,,,,ITS DRIVEN ME NUTS.....

I have the same exact problem. I still haven't had any luck figuring it out.
Old 12-22-2005, 11:40 AM
12 Second Club

youll hear it all over the car. i drove a 98 yesterday with the EGR problem and the guy told me it was an exhaust leak and the SES lights was on. i put the scanner on and it showed up EGR circut low. so its the EGR vavle going bad. i could hear this under the hood, under the car, behind the car, in the car with the windows up, crusing down the road at 70 mph. so i would check into it if i were you. it would be cheaper.....or never mind since you have an 01. but bitchincamaro i would check into this. nokeman sounds like you got a header gasket blown out or maby a rocker loose.
Old 12-22-2005, 03:33 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by bww3588
youll hear it all over the car. i drove a 98 yesterday with the EGR problem and the guy told me it was an exhaust leak and the SES lights was on. i put the scanner on and it showed up EGR circut low. so its the EGR vavle going bad. i could hear this under the hood, under the car, behind the car, in the car with the windows up, crusing down the road at 70 mph. so i would check into it if i were you. it would be cheaper.....or never mind since you have an 01. but bitchincamaro i would check into this. nokeman sounds like you got a header gasket blown out or maby a rocker loose.
Ill look in to it , no ses but ill autotap it see if i can see whats up.... but under the hood no tick,,, comes and goes
Old 12-22-2005, 09:49 PM
12 Second Club

sounds good. good luck
Old 12-22-2005, 09:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

is it expensive to fix a header gasket or a loose rocker? i hope its nothing as major as a loose rocker. i did just change my spark plugs so could it be that one is loose?