Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 in a 64 Impala SS

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2005, 11:17 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LS1 in a 64 Impala SS

I'm hooked on this website for it's good info and have to admit that I'm making the switch from the old iron to the LS1 platform so I've been reading alot of stuff in here.
Here's my latest project;
I've settled on an LS1 for my 64 Impala with a 4L60E. Iv'e been gathering information and have found the S&P site and plan to use their engine mount plates and headers for the install. I've also seen their LS1 install into a 60 Biscayne but the S&P accesory drive system is used. Due to $$$ I can't swing that one.

I'm having trouble finding out what, if any stock accessory mounting arrangement will work in this application. I've heard that the Vortex front accessory drives will bolt to an LS1 but haven't found any websites with that info.

I'm sure this is the first of many questions but I need some help finding the right people to chat with and any literature that may be available for this install.

Thanks.
Old 12-22-2005, 12:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome 64SS. I am going to use the stock vette alternator/power steering bracket that moves the alternator high on the drivers side and may work for you. I am not running air but there are others that will join in and give you some options on a high passenger side bracket for a/c. If you don't run air, I can get you the part off of my idler pulley for the pass-side. If you have an F-body motor, you will need to change the crank pulley to the vette version (used about $35). The vette accessory belt runs closer to the motor so all pulleys and accessories need to line up vette style.

I have a picture of the alt/ps bracket on a motor but it is too large to post. If you give me a email address, I will send the pic.

Good luck. Steve
Old 12-22-2005, 12:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default pic

Here's a picture of someone's Grand Sport motor with the vette bracket. Be prepared to drool.
Attached Thumbnails LS1 in a 64 Impala SS-gs-motor2.jpg  
Old 12-24-2005, 04:21 PM
BW
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

speed inc did a swap into 61 impala.

http://www.ls1speed.com/conversions.cfm

Quick Reply: LS1 in a 64 Impala SS