Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

under axle idea?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2005, 01:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default under axle idea?

I was wondering if anyone has gone under the axle with TSP true duals with 45 degree bends right under the axle and out the back. My brother had some pipe from his truck, and it looks like it would clear, just wondering if anyone has done this before i order piping?
Old 12-22-2005, 08:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's been done, maybe not with a TSP, but with custom setups.
Old 12-23-2005, 01:33 AM
Launching!

Why not go over the axle? Going over the axle with both pipes will give you MUCH better ground clearance.

Last edited by JEB Garner; 12-23-2005 at 01:40 AM.
Old 12-23-2005, 04:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JEB Garner
Why not go over the axle? Going over the axle with both pipes will give you MUCH better ground clearance.

Funny how I have had mine going under the axle for over two years now and I have never had a single clearance problem with them. And my car is daily driven. And going over the axle is more expensive and more involved.

As WILWAXU said, I have done it with my true duals, while they are not TSP's, it works just fine :

Old 12-23-2005, 05:52 AM
TECH Addict

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Z-286speed
I was wondering if anyone has gone under the axle with TSP true duals with 45 degree bends right under the axle and out the back. My brother had some pipe from his truck, and it looks like it would clear, just wondering if anyone has done this before i order piping?
There's no reason why you can't go under, but clearance IS or at least CAN be an issue. It depends on what size tyres you are running and whether the car is lowered or not. And also what you use the car for.

Make sure you leave enough space under the axel to allow the axel to droop or drop down, this will be needed if you do a lot of fast road driving (twisties) or drive on unenven bumpy roads at speed.

DVST8OR - looks good
Old 12-23-2005, 11:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

pics from my buddy's car.

the thread it came from.
http://www.ls2.com/forums/showthread...hreadid=318020
Old 12-23-2005, 08:47 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 78 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by jaypee1217
pics from my buddy's car.

the thread it came from.
http://www.ls2.com/forums/showthread...hreadid=318020
Thanks Jaypee....
H ere are a few more.... Iwill totally disagree with the "clearance" issue... In fact, it is not an issue @ all!!! I have the LGM Hypercoils & my car has never scraped since i have had this done..
jaypee will testify that the sound of the car " with my cam" is unmatched...
He and i attended a local Dyno day last weekend and everyone commented on the sound/look of my set up..
I am running Lanes True Duals & i ran them out the back myself..
there is one downside.... I lost about 10hp ( on the dyno) running them out the back... Went from 388 to 377... However, the **** pit of my car is much quieter,,,
Don't believe everything you here... "over the axle is better", "You will have clearance issues"... Not True @ all..... Jaypee... thanks for the nice comments brother...
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG] [IMG][/IMG] [IMG][/IMG]
Old 12-23-2005, 09:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

been thinking about that dyno day. i dont think you actually lost that much HP. THe last time you dynoed was during the summer, Hot 95+ degree day right? For a hot day, the computer would have corrected the #'s more for SAE. The most recent dyno day it was very cool, low 60's. So the computer wasn't correcting the SAE as much. I think I remember seeing someone's actual #'s were higher then the SAE #'s.

does all that makes sense?
Old 12-23-2005, 09:21 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 78 Likes on 64 Posts

Yeah... Makes me feel better too...

In your opinion... do you see me making 4oo with these heads?
400 on a bolt/on cammed A4 would be awesome..
I'll tell you the ones i ordered... But i'll PM you....
See you around Bro... BTW, installed that guage yesterday... Works Perfect!! :thumbsup:
Old 12-23-2005, 10:40 PM
11 Second Club

Another under the axle here. Clearance is not an issue at all. I am lowered 1/2" with the Bilstein suspension. Looks sweet from the back....I am always getting comments about the custom system. Sound is much better inside the car and still loud as hell outside. Actually changed the sound of the car from when it was dumped. Needless to say, I have a very unique sound....unlike any LS1 I have ever heard. I would say it sounds similar to Hooker, but not quite. And much louder. But anyway, great option, and if I need to lift the car, I can unbolt the flanges and drop the pipes down. Takes two minutes and you're off. I recommend this to anyone wanting to quiet down the interior noise. And you can't beat having tips again. I did miss them. I'll get some pics up soon.
Old 12-23-2005, 10:48 PM
11 Second Club

Here are some pics, I'll try to get some better ones from the back.

Old 12-23-2005, 10:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

99hawk, what did it cost you to get those flanges welded up and those pipes bent up going out the back? That's a real clean setup.
Old 12-24-2005, 05:22 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Only seen it with Lanes so far....
Old 12-24-2005, 03:25 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by taintedmeat
99hawk, what did it cost you to get those flanges welded up and those pipes bent up going out the back? That's a real clean setup.

It cost me $350 to have the whole exhaust bent up. I already had the mufflers and the H-pipe. I had mandrel bent up to the mufflers, then crush bent after that. I can unbolt the tips and run dumped with mandrel bends only. Very good money for what I got, and the clearance is better than a stock F-body. I used to rub on small speed bumps before I had this redone. Now, I can't get it to rub if I tried. And the sound is still amazing......just not near as loud inside the car. My original duals were crush-bent and dumped and they hung way down. The mufflers were only about two inches off the ground. I'll get some better pics from the back as soon as I get a chance. It will be after I get back from Oklahoma next week.
Old 12-24-2005, 03:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 99Hawk262
It cost me $350 to have the whole exhaust bent up. I already had the mufflers and the H-pipe. I had mandrel bent up to the mufflers, then crush bent after that. I can unbolt the tips and run dumped with mandrel bends only. Very good money for what I got, and the clearance is better than a stock F-body. I used to rub on small speed bumps before I had this redone. Now, I can't get it to rub if I tried. And the sound is still amazing......just not near as loud inside the car. My original duals were crush-bent and dumped and they hung way down. The mufflers were only about two inches off the ground. I'll get some better pics from the back as soon as I get a chance. It will be after I get back from Oklahoma next week.
I'd like to make a copy of your setup using the TSP dual setup up to the axle. Only problem is I also need cats for emissions visual here, so I'd have to find some pretty small cats to get in there before the mufflers.
Old 12-25-2005, 01:13 AM
Launching!

DVST8OR and you others: If I ran exhaust pipes that low here where I live, they would drag the ground every time that I entered or exited a driveway and at some cross streets intersections. With my dual system, the pipes can not be seen from the side of the car because both pipes are set up in the body cavity in the same place that the original single pipe ran. I personally don't care for the dumps because I like it quiet inside the car. I really don't care for the roar nor the smell of exhaust gases that accompany dumps and going under the axle and out the back is not practial in a lot of areas for a number of reasons. With my dual exhaust system, inside my car, with the windows up, it is as quiet as it was with SLP's loudmouth with that stupid "Y" pipe system. I actually have more ground clearance with my dual system than I had with that silly "Y" pipe system. I can't imagine anyone not wanting a true dual exhaust system where the pipes are hidden and going over the axle and exiting out the rear in the stock location.

Last edited by JEB Garner; 12-25-2005 at 01:32 AM.
Old 12-25-2005, 08:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for all the comments, I have done all the exhaust work myself, and plan on running it the back under the axle. The way i see it, it should not be lower than the mufflers, so i am not worried about it. Just need to figure out the spot so it does not hit the axle.
Old 12-26-2005, 01:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

I friend of mine has it done, looks sweet!!