Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ford Parts Catalog Lists UD Pulley as increased Engine Temp

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2005, 12:58 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ford Parts Catalog Lists UD Pulley as increased Engine Temp

I came across something interesting the other night. In a Ford Performance Sales Catalog - direct from the Ford as far as I could tell. They were selling 25% under drive pulleys with an asterisk by the item. When I looked at what the asterisk indicated it was something along the lines of- "will increase engine operating temperature" and something like, make proper adjustments or problems may result.

I thought this was interesting because the Ford performance parts division them selves come out and warn that engine temps will be higher. Cooling was the reason I took it off in the first place, but I was beginning to think I was being over-concerned, until I read this.

I just thought it was interesting that a big car manufacturer came out and warned about this specific debatable issue. I think I'll be leaving my ASP UD pulley off because of cooling concerns.

-Lane
Old 12-23-2005, 12:01 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You'll be fine. I drove all through summer and in heavy traffic with my UD pulley. They just put that warning on there in the remote case something does happen.
Old 12-23-2005, 12:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's because is a F*rd. You will be fine with an ASP pulley, no complaints at all when I had mine!
Old 12-23-2005, 12:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't compare apples to oranges
Ford underdrive pulley setups use a different water pump pulley that slows down the water pump.
Old 12-23-2005, 03:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by WILWAXU
Don't compare apples to oranges
Ford underdrive pulley setups use a different water pump pulley that slows down the water pump.

So the UD pulley will still slow down the waterpump, just not as much as the ford set ups, because they come with an additional pulley to slow down the water pump as well?

Thanks,
Lane
Old 12-23-2005, 05:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lrk322
So the UD pulley will still slow down the waterpump, just not as much as the ford set ups, because they come with an additional pulley to slow down the water pump as well?

Thanks,
Lane
Basically.
Old 12-23-2005, 06:34 PM
Teching In

I've had pulleys on 4 ford vehicles and one chevy and never with any problems whatsoever.
Old 12-24-2005, 02:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

alright cool.thanks for al your help guys! I'll be putting my pulley back on as soon as I get a chance.