Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Switching Throttle Bodies

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2005, 07:39 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Switching Throttle Bodies

I have a 99 pontiac trans am. I bought the bbk 80mm throttlebody for my car and installed it. My friend has a 00 Z28. I am selling him my throttle body because i thought it would fit. But for some reason when i put his stock one on my car the throttle cable isnt long enough to allow the blad to close. It stays pretty open like about 1/5 of the way. we didnt try to put the 80 on his because of time and darkness. could someone tell me if i am wrong in thinking the 99 and 00 throttle bodies shoud be interchangeable. any help is appreciated.
Old 12-23-2005, 08:17 PM
12 Second Club

there were different sized throttle cams for different years that i guess could cause the line to be either too short or have slack depending on which year you have and are switching to. i think it may be that the 98-99 TBs have smaller cams that open the blade faster, which would kind of make sense because the cam on the 00 TB may be too big for the line to reach all the way without pulling it open some. i'm not sure though.

but isnt the throttle cable adjustable??? i figure with as many TBs going around that all is needed is a small adjustment to the reach of the throttle cable.
Old 12-23-2005, 08:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by flewbyurgt
I have a 99 pontiac trans am. I bought the bbk 80mm throttlebody for my car and installed it. My friend has a 00 Z28. I am selling him my throttle body because i thought it would fit. But for some reason when i put his stock one on my car the throttle cable isnt long enough to allow the blad to close. It stays pretty open like about 1/5 of the way. we didnt try to put the 80 on his because of time and darkness. could someone tell me if i am wrong in thinking the 99 and 00 throttle bodies shoud be interchangeable. any help is appreciated.
They should be interchangeable. You probably just have to adjust your throttle cable. It's all to do with the inline adjustment clip(s) halfway between the the throttle cable reel housing (R/H front by the battery). Take a stab or 2 at adjusting it AND USE SOME COMMON SENSE. One cable is from the pedal. One is to the TB. Pretty sure the 3rd is for cruise. As far as I recall, there's nothing in Helm about adjusting the throttle cable.

Note on mine (see pic) it's circled back under the STB (shock tower brace) close to the fuel just inches from the fuel rail. Loosen the clip, adjust the cable, reattach clip. DO NOT DROP THE CLIP! Good luck.
Attached Thumbnails Switching Throttle Bodies-underhood-12-23-05.jpg  
Old 12-23-2005, 09:59 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

98-99s have a smaller cam as stated above, just swapped the cams on the TBs and you should be good to go.
Old 12-24-2005, 05:26 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had to do the same thing going from a 99 to an 01. real PITA when you put it on and realize that it is at half throttle when you let the blade go after attaching it.
Old 12-25-2005, 04:54 PM
Teching In

do any of yall know where i could find out how to adjust the throttle cable. im pretty sure its really simple but i have no idea.
Old 12-25-2005, 08:16 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Not sure how to adjust it/or if you even can.
Old 12-25-2005, 09:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by flewbyurgt
do any of yall know where i could find out how to adjust the throttle cable. im pretty sure its really simple but i have no idea.
Just like I post above. This time I enhanced the cable reel box (circled), numbered the lines, and circled the approx location of the throttle cable clip:

"They should be interchangeable. You probably just have to adjust your throttle cable. It's all to do with the inline adjustment clip(s) halfway between the the throttle cable reel housing (R/H front by the battery). Take a stab or 2 at adjusting it AND USE SOME COMMON SENSE. One cable is from the pedal. One is to the TB. Pretty sure the 3rd is for cruise. As far as I recall, there's nothing in Helm about adjusting the throttle cable.

Note on mine (see pic) it's circled back under the STB (shock tower brace) close to the cowl just inches from the fuel rail. Loosen the clip, adjust the cable, reattach clip. DO NOT DROP THE CLIP! Good luck."

Working backwards from the TB, you can find the clip Reeeeeeaal easy. Unclip it, pull on cable (you'll figure how it works real quick), adjust and re-clip. You will want to be ABSOLUTELY sure when yer done that the TB blade opens completely at full throttle (using the gas pedal), and that it closes completely and doesn't leave a high-rev situation. Remember that part about common sense...
Attached Thumbnails Switching Throttle Bodies-underhood-12-25-05.jpg  
Old 12-25-2005, 09:40 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Doesnt the throttle vary between 98-99 and 00-02?
Old 12-25-2005, 09:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by orangeapeel
Doesnt the throttle vary between 98-99 and 00-02?
Yes, it does. But I sure can't see why that can't be overcome w/ adjusting the TB cable. After all, I have a '98 and my FAST TB ain't exactly like stock...
Old 12-26-2005, 03:00 PM
Teching In

ite...thanks for the info. i found my stock TB so im good lol. but we will try adjusting my friends as soon as we can get it back in the garage