Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Changing color of Trans Am gauges

Old 12-23-2005, 08:59 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changing color of Trans Am gauges

OK, I am looking to get a set of white faced gauges for my Trans. I am pretty sure I read that all the overlays will still be red due to a tint or film on the back of them. I am in the process of switching all the lights to blue in the car now, and would like the gauges to match. If anybody could giv eme any information or point me in the right direction I would really appreciate it.
Thanks,
Brad
Old 12-23-2005, 09:10 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try here
http://www.evlls1.com/ls1.html
Old 12-23-2005, 09:36 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Nope....my overlays completely cover the factory red and it lights up blue. I didn't understand how the overlays worked till I got them. Its cool how it works...theirs a wire comming off the overlays that connects to the **** that controls the color...the **** is powered by a 12v wire in the headlight switch and grounded. The overlays back side looks like a circuit board...but all flexable.

I did all my red interior lights over to blue. The headlight switch and the hvac has to be done by using the camaro overlays. Those all have 12,000mcd blue LED's and they light perfectly.

*edit*....my camera sucks, but the gauges are actually an awesome deep blue. I didn't get my gauges here but mine are the 2nd picture I cut out the overlays so it was only the tach, speedo, and the 4 other gauges with needles. I know it says 97-00 camaro, but it will fit the TA with 1 simple mod....u'll see when your trying to put the clear cover back on. I taped the overlay in place as it donesn't stay still. The ONLY thing wrong with the gauges is that between 98 + I believe...is that the highbeam light and SERVICE VEHICLE light were switched. I can live with it though. I just can't tell if my highbeams are on!
Attached Thumbnails Changing color of Trans Am gauges-00_00010_1.jpg  

Last edited by HotWhipT/A; 12-23-2005 at 09:54 PM.
Old 12-24-2005, 10:12 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys. Im doing the same thing now with changing all the interior lights to blue. So far I did the map lights, 16 LED's in each, and I have 44 in the rear dome light. Needless to say its very bright, and I love the way it looks.

Also what about buying one made for the Trans and removing the red film off the back. My buddy said something about doing it to teh gauges in car and they look pretty good.
Old 12-25-2005, 10:39 PM
TECH Addict

Just find some glow gauges you like that light blue made for your year model car. Wether its for camaro's or TA's.....it should work perfectly.
Old 12-25-2005, 10:45 PM
TECH Addict

Oh....The red film isn't so much of a film. Its more of a dye that is impregenated into the plastic. I tried to get it out many different ways, but no matter what you do....it focks it up. I learned this from my HVAC overlay. The cluster might be different, although I doubt it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Changing color of Trans Am gauges