Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Doing cam swap need suggestions for parts

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2005, 11:47 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Doing cam swap need suggestions for parts

So heres the deal, doing a cam swap in my 98 camaro. the whole shabang cam, lifters, pushrods, springs, timing chain, oil pump, underdrive pulley.

Now the cam i plan on going with is pretty darn big cant release specs, bt can say that it is aggressive, and revs low enough to where im not spinning far over 7200 if that.

I was hoping to go w/ as big of a budget as possible, and find good quality parts taht will last some time, problem is im unsure of compatability of some things.

For a cam we'll jsut say the t-rex i suppose might be overkill but we'll say i'm using that cam. What lifters would you recommend a performance upgrade over OE lifters lsay comp heavy duty or pro magnum, or do oi go w/ comp "r" lifters? Needs to be durable no need to outlast the car or anything, just want a good quality lifter to get as much as possible out of the cam, while saving some cash.

Timing chain. Do i go w/ just a chain upgrade like the JWIS or do i go w/ a Rollmaster Double roller. I was looking more into the rollmaster personally but which to go w/ Heat treated or non heat treated? how easy to install- i assume it has the holes to line up the cam sprocket and crank sprocket to TDC. Also w/ the double roller i see it needs spacing for the oil pump, which is understandable, so which pump should i go w/ for effectiveness and quality. I want good but nothing out fo the ordinary expensive. like SLP I see the GM ported Ls6 but dont see it cheaper anywhere is it worth the ported one?.

Now i see the ASP pulller does not work w/ the rollmaster double roller? Why is this what pulley shjould i run MARCH? PAP (whho is that) and SLP are both recommended by speed inc but WHY will i need a new timing cover.what requjires different fitment

thanks again fellas and sorry for the length
Old 12-24-2005, 05:26 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The ASP does work with the double Rollmaster. They machined a step on the boss to create the needed clearance on the newer pulleys. The ASP pulley bucks up against the sprocket the drives the oil pump and cam chain. The 3mm clearance is needed because the pump is shimmed forward by that amount. ASP pulley, double Rollmaster, Comp Rs and Comp Pro Mag rockers. That'll work.
Old 12-25-2005, 01:36 AM
12 Second Club

ok i;'ve decided on the timing chain i believe now, who wants to help w/ lifters and pushrods, who to go with and also what pulley to use?
Old 12-26-2005, 08:33 AM
12 Second Club

what you guys think Comp "R" Roller hydraulic lifters or OE replacement/performance style lifters? w/ a T-Rex?

Will the lifters affect P-V Clearance by any chance w/ the OE poushrod length?
Old 12-26-2005, 03:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I wouldnt go with the comp-R lifters after reading too many cases of the roller axle working its way out. Id go with either comp OE replacements, or the cheap melling lifters. I personally went with the melling lifters. Keep in mind that in order to change your lifters, youve gotta pull the heads.
Old 12-26-2005, 08:38 PM
yak
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Oh no, another IL kid building a slow car.... I would say go with the OE repacement type. Who's doing your install, doing it yourself? I'll have to head out your way after you put that sucker in to really see if it is fast.
Old 12-28-2005, 08:51 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by yak
Oh no, another IL kid building a slow car.... I would say go with the OE repacement type. Who's doing your install, doing it yourself? I'll have to head out your way after you put that sucker in to really see if it is fast.
Yes I am doing it myself. I'm asking for suggestions, done this several times. Wouldnt go out and start saying an "IL kid" building a "slow car" though.
Old 12-28-2005, 08:54 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by GuitsBoy
I wouldnt go with the comp-R lifters after reading too many cases of the roller axle working its way out. Id go with either comp OE replacements, or the cheap melling lifters. I personally went with the melling lifters. Keep in mind that in order to change your lifters, youve gotta pull the heads.

Thanks heads are already pulled wanted to check the valves make sure they werent wearing down and they were seating properly
Old 12-28-2005, 03:36 PM
TECH Regular

I used an ls2 timing chain, thunderracing hardened pushrods, and an asp pulley