Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

STS issue! Please help!

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2005, 03:17 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default STS issue! Please help!

Ok, my newest issue is at 8-9lbs of boost at the track I am what seems to be blowing the filler cap from the neck on one side which is where the oil return goes and spraying oil in large amounts all over my engine bay . I had the same issue last week and thought it was coming from the return going in the cap so I used epoxy to seal it. I drove all week getting in boost at 5lbs with no issues until I went to the track tonight. I cranked up the boost and coated my engine so bad oil was pooled up on my intake . Is anyone else having this issue? Would tapping the valve cover or oil pan fix this or am I getting way to much crank case pressure? The dip stick hasnt budged from its locked position.
Old 12-24-2005, 04:57 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You could indeed tap into the valve cover, but the best solution since you have to do something different is to return the oil to the pan. I am willing to bet that it is not due to crankcase pressure, unless the dipstick is harder to pop up than where the oil is coming out of. Bob
Old 12-24-2005, 10:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Best do a compression test on all your cylinders.. We just had a truck with an STS put a hole in 2 cylinders when his water/meth ran out at 9 psi.. His return line blew out of the filler neck and stripped it soo bad, there was no fixing it with any amount of epoxy. We have to tap into the oil pan now..
Old 12-24-2005, 11:51 AM
9 Second Club

Anyone else thinking blow by?
Old 12-24-2005, 11:56 AM
12 Second Club

blow by was my first thought..aren't a lot of guys running a breather filter instead of the cap now?
Old 12-24-2005, 12:23 PM
TECH Addict

if your using the STS pcv system dont.

run a checkvalve and a catch can with a vent and your problem will go away.

assuming you don't have engine problems causing tons of blowby.

do a search on pcv systems and follow the recomendations.

Last edited by Blackbird; 12-24-2005 at 02:20 PM.
Old 12-24-2005, 01:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I had the same problem, only happened at the track too. I think it was the STS provided pcv system too. BUt before I could look into it some more, I just pulled the motor out. I'm going to run the oil return into the valve cover now. Point is, you're not the only one to run into this problem.
Old 12-24-2005, 11:32 PM
On The Tree

I was planning on tapping the pan or cover. Anyone have pics of where they tapped? Ive been looking into a different PCV system but havent found any good threads on how to do it yet. I sure hope its not blow by. That would take alot to blow the filler cap off wouldnt it? I will check my compression in the next couple of days for sure. Thanks for all the input and im glad im not the only one that has had this issue. I was starting to think Ive been cursed with this kit.
Old 12-25-2005, 01:32 AM
Banned

Understand what is happening here. I do alot of STS cars and they all do the same at anything higher than stock PSI levels. I make puke tanks for most cars that want to make power and I find after that I never have a problem.

If the dipstick dont shoot out, then you have crankcase pressure under control too. What is happening is the oil return for the turbo is coming in so fast, that its adding to the pressure of the valve cover. So either tap the pan and return there, or tap the other valve cover and vent that one too. Works good.

Rick
Old 12-25-2005, 04:39 PM
FormerVendor

Another option would be to run a good quality ball bearing turbocharger with the kit. Modern Garrett BB turbos have close to a 1.5mm restrictor into the oil feed for the turbo, so the return is minimal. Dumping oil into the rocker cover is way out there though!
Old 12-26-2005, 12:18 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Rick@Synergy
Understand what is happening here. I do alot of STS cars and they all do the same at anything higher than stock PSI levels. I make puke tanks for most cars that want to make power and I find after that I never have a problem.

If the dipstick dont shoot out, then you have crankcase pressure under control too. What is happening is the oil return for the turbo is coming in so fast, that its adding to the pressure of the valve cover. So either tap the pan and return there, or tap the other valve cover and vent that one too. Works good.

Rick
Thats what I was thinking. I sure hope thats all it is. I am going to try to tap it in the next couple days. Where are you guys tapping the pan at? Any pics?
As for the turbo Im running a GT67 currently. What are you suggesting I switch to?? Thanks for all the feedback
Old 12-26-2005, 01:36 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Lrry93
Thats what I was thinking. I sure hope thats all it is. I am going to try to tap it in the next couple days. Where are you guys tapping the pan at? Any pics?
As for the turbo Im running a GT67 currently. What are you suggesting I switch to?? Thanks for all the feedback

If you tap the pan, tap towards the front, you will only create swirl problems if you shoot the oil next to the pick up area.

Rick
Old 12-26-2005, 06:26 AM
FormerVendor

Surely STS have a properly engineered solution for oil return? Its not very hard to do right, and very costly to do wrong.
Old 12-26-2005, 02:01 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Street Tuna
Surely STS have a properly engineered solution for oil return? Its not very hard to do right, and very costly to do wrong.
Sure they do. Remember that the STS kit was built with the budget builder in mind. Some of us have prooved that you can get great numbers from one, but we are also realistic in what it is that we have. When you get into high pressure high hp application, you tend to get away from most of the stock STS parts and build to what your goals are.

In the end with the high hp STS apps, generaly the only things that remain "True" STS is the oil return (Most are tappint it to the oil pan) and the concept of the rear mount itself.

My goals are to make consistant 10 sec runs on stock block, with STS being 80% as purchased. Once I have done that... I am going to go forged (havent decided on 347, 370, 408) and much larger turbo. I am hoping that STS will be intrested in what it takes, I will document my build, and they then may potentialy offer a higher HP package for forged applications.
Old 12-27-2005, 12:28 AM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a super simple dirt cheap (free) solution that you can try.

2 zip ties fixed my issues.

Thread one around the base, then loop the 2nd one through the one on the base and up around the fitting in the oil cap. It won't pop up anymore.

If your dipstick pops up though break out the compression checker.
Old 12-27-2005, 08:13 PM
Restricted User

Rick @ Synergy....Would it beneficial to tap the pan, approx. .5" above and 3" forward of the low oil level sensor? This should put the returning oil below the Windage tray, yet above the pans interior baffle, which would allow the oil to merge into the pan without swirling issues at the pickup. Just not sure on the "optimal" location, should have checked when I had my pan off *banging head*.
Old 09-04-2006, 11:08 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

So it sounds as if you tap the oil pan for the return line it cures this oil belching problem correct?
Old 09-04-2006, 11:17 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Lrry93
Ok, my newest issue is at 8-9lbs of boost at the track I am what seems to be blowing the filler cap from the neck on one side which is where the oil return goes and spraying oil in large amounts all over my engine bay . I had the same issue last week and thought it was coming from the return going in the cap so I used epoxy to seal it. I drove all week getting in boost at 5lbs with no issues until I went to the track tonight. I cranked up the boost and coated my engine so bad oil was pooled up on my intake . Is anyone else having this issue? Would tapping the valve cover or oil pan fix this or am I getting way to much crank case pressure? The dip stick hasnt budged from its locked position.
I had the same problem… Go into the valve cover.
Old 09-05-2006, 12:15 AM
9 Second Club

Holy old thread batman!