Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is the install of a FAST LSX manifold & TB hard?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2005, 06:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Is the install of a FAST LSX manifold & TB hard?

The search button has not worked for like 3 days for me, so I want to start off by saying that.

I have a 99 (LS1 manifold) and am going to install the FAST LSX manifold and TB (both 78mm... it will be fine for my current application the 90mm would have been too big, so I don't to hear that either...please don't hijack this thread by telling me I should have got the FAST 90 manifold and NW TB). Who has done this installation and what should I look out for?

I already bought a new manifold gasket, TB gasket, front coolant line (air bleeder pipe), rear plugs and gaskets for them as well and I think I should be good to go. But, is there anything else I should know? There is a write-up on www.ls1howto.com and FAST sent installation instructions as well. Will that be enough? I have never changed a manifold on a fuel infected car before. Done it on older cars quite a few times and I know how to turn a wrench, but I just want a heads up on anything that might "show up" during the installation. Thanks.
Old 12-24-2005, 06:38 PM
TECH Resident

Received 37 Likes on 20 Posts

just be careful when tightening the bolts (mainly the TB to the intake bolts. its very easy to crack the flange if over tightened. (most never mate flush, theres usually a small gap)
Old 12-24-2005, 06:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Also, I plan on keeping the EGR, so I will still pass smog.
Old 12-24-2005, 08:56 PM
TECH Junkie

I had to make a hold down bracket and glue the MAP sensor to the manifold. Also stock gaskets may not seal up real good, Comp cams sells a thicker set.

You will need a torque wrench that reads in inch lbs. (30 and 50).

Last edited by DaleMX; 12-25-2005 at 02:09 PM.
Old 12-25-2005, 12:24 AM
TECH Regular

yes, don't tighten the bolts on the tb to tight. egr is useless, i am sure you have a free flowing exhaust which already eliminates what the egr system does. so don't waste the time on cutting the intake man, its not worth it!!!
Old 12-25-2005, 04:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

ttt...
Old 12-25-2005, 06:50 PM
TECH Addict

i just done the fast combo and it isn't bad.just take your time and don't get frustrated.
Old 12-25-2005, 06:52 PM
TECH Addict

oh yeah,if you got a fast tb watch out for it sticking !
Old 12-25-2005, 06:56 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Man, you really should have gotten the FAST 90/NW TB combo

Kidding man...kidding.

If you have never pulled your intake manifold before, be prepared for some scraped knuckles. I'd highly recommend gear wrenches. If you want to disconnect the fuel line, get the plastic fuel line disconnect tool from your local auto parts store. I'd recommend disconnecting the line, as it takes only a few seconds with the proper tool. It'll give you more freedom to work.

Take your time, have plenty of alcohol handy (both to throw on your hands and to consume mass quantities of), and don't do it when it is freezing nuts cold outside.
Old 12-25-2005, 07:17 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Make sure that you replace the valley cover bolts with the supplied ones...it will **** you off if you don't and have a vac leak.

<------------------- this guy did that.

"What the hell do these 10 bolts go to? Oh well, I guess they are extras?"
Old 12-25-2005, 07:21 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Originally Posted by orangeapeel
Make sure that you replace the valley cover bolts with the supplied ones...it will **** you off if you don't and have a vac leak.

<------------------- this guy did that.

"What the hell do these 10 bolts go to? Oh well, I guess they are extras?"
Orrrrrrrrr the select few that cracked their lower intake when they tried to tighten it down without replacing them...

Definitely something to pay attention to...may want to lay off the alcohol until you are ready to fire it up
Old 12-25-2005, 07:26 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
may want to lay off the alcohol until you are ready to fire it up
Ditto that. I didnt get it all the way down, so I lucked out on the crack/vac issues. Just read the directions and leave the last 4 bolts in the holes when you go to put it on.
Old 12-25-2005, 07:57 PM
10 Second Club

Good info
Old 12-26-2005, 08:39 AM
Teching In

Just a couple other things, also first if you have big arms and hands like me you may want to lift up the weatherstriping and clips from the center of the cowl. also tools you need are 6mm allen socket to fit torque wrench for intake and valley bolts 8 and 10mm deep and shallow sockets and blue medium strength locktite, be careful when removing intake not to break oil sending unit. I actually removed brake booster vacuum line at booster and fed it through the rear when removing old intake, this is where extra hands are helpful. If removing tps and iac you will need a torx driver or socket!
Old 12-26-2005, 03:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The rest of my gaskets come in tomorrow, so I will be initiating the install at approximately 11am. You have all given great tips, is there anything else? I don't want to be out a car because I had to run to the auto parts store or order something that I didn't have. Thank you to everyone for your valuable input, I LOVE THIS BOARD.
Old 12-26-2005, 04:30 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

If you haven't done the coolant bypass mod, now might be a good time to consider it...otherwise, you might need some coolant/distilled water to top off what little coolant you will lose doing this. There really shouldn't be much else to it...just don't get pissed and overtighten something. Nothing but aluminum and plastic up there...
Old 12-26-2005, 06:48 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
If you haven't done the coolant bypass mod, now might be a good time to consider it...otherwise, you might need some coolant/distilled water to top off what little coolant you will lose doing this. There really shouldn't be much else to it...just don't get pissed and overtighten something. Nothing but aluminum and plastic up there...

I dont mean to rob the thread or hi jack it but.... Let me tell you that your car looks amazing. I have an 02 SS with CME and I plan of getting those rims!
Old 12-26-2005, 09:10 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Thanks man...rotors are up next. Got some nice Eradispeeds begging to be installed
Old 12-27-2005, 10:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

We are going to go ahead and tackle the install, we will keep you posted.
Old 12-27-2005, 11:07 AM
On The Tree

In the middle of it right now, you need to do something with the coolant air vent line at the top(4 connections to the heads). The parts for the Z06 work, or you can just fix the ones you have, ie cut and weld...