Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

How to deal with oil coming out of driverside breather filter

Old 12-25-2005, 08:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to deal with oil coming out of driverside breather filter

I am trying to tighten a few things up before i leave for japan and the PCV system is one of them. I have 1 breather running on my passenger side VC for the oil fill. I used to have a k+n filter on the driver's side but it would shoot oil out and smoke pretty bad. Was that normal? I also get smoke out of the passenger side breather. I have an issue that came up with my oil dipstick that will get taken care of when i get off of leave (i am getting a lokar flexible dipstick) I don't want any smoke obviously and i get much less when i just plugged up the hole. Here's a little more about my setup:

Brand new 398 forged iron block
LS6 valley cover
breather on passenger side VC
all PCV ports blocked off (on VCs, LS6 valley cover, and LS6 intake)
twin turbos

I guess i just don't understand what makes a good PCV setup. Do i absolutely need vacuum in the crank? I've read about pulling vacuum with a mechanical pump, electronic pump, and hooking it straight into the air filter inlet.

If i put a check valve and a catch can between the LS6 valley cover and my intake how does that really help unless i am in vacuum? Don't these issues come about when under boost? Does the crankcase build up that much pressure in vacuum that it needs to be vented?

So here's a rundown of the questions i want answered:

How do i stop the driver side vc from leaking oil at the breather?

Is it beneficial to install the PCV setup? (LS6 valley cover to check valve to catch can to intake)

What difference does it make during WOT to have the PCV setup hooked up? What about the blocked off VC breather for the driver's side?

What do the breathers do? Let the pressure out? Let air in?

Sorry for the dumb questions but i can't decide on which route to take unless i understand what each one does and not just because so and so ran that setup and x amount of rwhp.

Greg
Old 12-25-2005, 09:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

for one, having vacume in the crank helps the rings seal better. so with that the breathers are letting out air pressure, but if you run a vacume comming from your crank case, (ether your intake, a valve cover, or a custom spot) place an inline catch can, then run it through the air pump, to the intake, before the turbo or supercharger.

we had to figure this out as well.
Old 12-26-2005, 10:45 AM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by whynot
for one, having vacume in the crank helps the rings seal better. so with that the breathers are letting out air pressure, but if you run a vacume comming from your crank case, (ether your intake, a valve cover, or a custom spot) place an inline catch can, then run it through the air pump, to the intake, before the turbo or supercharger.

we had to figure this out as well.
Vacuum pump is always a nice thing if you can make it work (mechanical is the only way to go, don't bother with the electric vacuum pumps) but if you can't, I've seen people have good luck with running lines off each valvecover to a simple catch can.

Here's my setup:

You can see the one line off the driver side in this pic but it's the same on the pass. side:

Last edited by LTLHOMER; 12-26-2005 at 10:51 AM.
Old 12-26-2005, 12:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

Ok i see some of the venting. I already have breathers on my valve covers (well i took the driver's side off). Should i not bother with using the valley cover for PCV and catch can going to my intake with a check valve?

I just don't understand why i should do both if i am venting the valvecovers already.

Greg
Old 12-26-2005, 02:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

so lt1homer are you just using a catch can?
Old 12-26-2005, 03:14 PM
Banned

My experience with CAS was not to run breathers at all, the system did not like them. Stock oil cap stock pcv setup with a one way check valve, thats it.
Old 12-26-2005, 03:33 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by ABeasst
so lt1homer are you just using a catch can?
Yes sir.
Old 12-26-2005, 04:46 PM
On The Tree

A DEE O

Did your CAS setup idle crappy before you tuned it?

what do you mean by it didnt like the breathers?
Old 12-26-2005, 06:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LTLHOMER
Yes sir.
so are you running from both valve covers to catch can and thats it?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How to deal with oil coming out of driverside breather filter