Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cylinder Wall Scratches

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2005, 02:44 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cylinder Wall Scratches

I pulled my driver's side head off tonight, and noticed some scratches on the #7 wall. The scratches run the entire stroke and are deep enough to catch a fingernail on. They are only on one side of the cylinder, and there are three or four scratches that run up and down.

This engine used to be boosted. After my turbo died, I removed it and now I plan to go nitrous. I noticed that the N/A power is way off from before the turbo. I'm now running a mid 13 compared to a 12.8 pre-boost. I was running 5 or 6 psi. while boosted. I wonder if I damaged the #7 piston.

I don't notice any oil burning. I knew I should've done a leakdown before pulling the head! What else could cause scratches like that?
Old 12-27-2005, 07:32 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd make sure that your pistons and rings don't have any damage to them. #7 cylinder tends to run leaner on our cars, so that may be the reason for the malfunction. What are your plans now?
Old 12-27-2005, 09:47 AM
12 Second Club

I'm pulling the other head for a look. I may be pulling the motor and checking #7 piston. I suspect some ring land damage. The power is way down and I thought it was just bent pushrods but they are all straight. If a hone doesn't clear it up, I'll get it bored and run forged. What's a good set of forged pistons cost these days?

I'm planning on spraying a 100 dry shot. Maybe more if I go forged. I'd like to go back to FI down the road.
Old 12-27-2005, 12:38 PM
TECH Resident

You have the same problem that alot of 03/04 Cobra guys have, except they have it worse because of the tight factory piston to wall clearance specs. With all that heat, the piston expanded enough to where the rings started scoring the walls and gradually wore into them. Since you're going forged, have the machine shop hone the walls so the piston fits on the "loose" end of the specified tolerances. It may give some cold start piston slap, but it'll save the walls when running 10+psi of boost through. Also, it wouldn't be a bad idea to upgrade radiators if you haven't done so yet.

Jason
Old 12-27-2005, 03:12 PM
12 Second Club

Thank you for the info guys. I'll be finding out for sure this week. I'll post pics if there is any carnage in there.
Old 12-27-2005, 08:51 PM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll bet you have a broken ringland on the #7 piston. It happens all the time. Bob
Old 12-27-2005, 08:56 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Exotic Performance Plus
I'll bet you have a broken ringland on the #7 piston. It happens all the time. Bob
I'm betting you are right. I just hope I can get by without a bore, but I can catch a fingernail on the scores so I think a bore is in order. Best time to go forged I guess. Maybe a cam while I'm at it.
Old 12-28-2005, 12:09 PM
TECH Resident

Sounds like you'll have to bore it then. Whatever you do this time, get good rings and a good forged piston, Diamond, JE, Wiseco, etc all make great slugs. Since you're going FI, I don't think I'd worry too much about a "light" version of a forged piston. You'll need to handle boost instead of high rpms.

Jason
Old 01-02-2006, 11:27 PM
12 Second Club

Pistons are OK. Must have blown some crap through the turbo. New rings and a hone should do it. What are the best rings to buy?
Old 01-02-2006, 11:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Exotic Performance Plus
Hrmm, but wouldn't you be able to see it? Or could it break and you not see it?

I'm dealing with the exact problems with Pwebbz28's car right now, its down on power bad, has some ticking, and everything "looks good"
Old 01-03-2006, 12:03 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Camaro99SS
You have the same problem that alot of 03/04 Cobra guys have, except they have it worse because of the tight factory piston to wall clearance specs. With all that heat, the piston expanded enough to where the rings started scoring the walls and gradually wore into them. Since you're going forged, have the machine shop hone the walls so the piston fits on the "loose" end of the specified tolerances. It may give some cold start piston slap, but it'll save the walls when running 10+psi of boost through. Also, it wouldn't be a bad idea to upgrade radiators if you haven't done so yet.

Jason
Tight piston to wall clearance??? on an LS1, you must be kidding right?

Ever heard of piston slap?

That is prolly ringland damage or a ring that came unseated or both..
Old 01-03-2006, 12:05 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Brandon
Hrmm, but wouldn't you be able to see it? Or could it break and you not see it?

I'm dealing with the exact problems with Pwebbz28's car right now, its down on power bad, has some ticking, and everything "looks good"
Not necessarily. It could be below the crown, once you take the piston out, it all comes appart.
Old 01-03-2006, 12:48 PM
12 Second Club

I took the piston out and found no damage at all. But there was some crap in the oil pickup. Somehow I sucked in some junk.

Quick Reply: Cylinder Wall Scratches