Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

chrome vs impact socket

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2005, 12:18 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default chrome vs impact socket

Is there any reason people with air tools buy chrome sockets and impact sockets. I don't see why you need chrome when you can use impact for hand tool and air tool use. like, for example tool sets from snap on and such come with both? If anyone knows a reason for this please explain. i am planning on buying some impact sockets sets with no intention on ever buying chrome. Impact sockets are supposed to be stronger, and from snap on are cheaper than chrome on the ones I looked at.

Thanks

Last edited by nextstevenash; 12-27-2005 at 12:24 PM.
Old 12-27-2005, 01:03 PM
TECH Addict

I believe the chrome are more resistant to chemicals and the enviorment.
Old 12-27-2005, 01:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I think the walls of the impact sockets are much thicker to take the abuse of the air impact or other tools as compared to the chrome ones. I think, so correct me if i'm wrong too .
Old 12-27-2005, 01:44 PM
TECH Veteran

..impact sockets are thicker and are made of softer steel compared to chrome ones. You could use only black impact sockets but the chrome sockets will fit in tighter places...

...most impact sockets are 6 point and most chrome sockets are 12 point; right?

...after you use chrome sockets with hand tools for a while, you will only want to use impact sockets with air tools....

You can comb your hair using the chrome sockets as a substitute mirror. ...did you ever try that with a black impact?
Old 12-27-2005, 04:02 PM
Teching In

You could always use these

seems kinda funny to me, don't think i'd buy em

If i drop 500 bones on impact sockets, i dont want to pay double to have the chrome ones. I have cheap chrome craftsmen ones if I can't fit an impact on it, which i always have been able to do.

Last edited by nextstevenash; 12-27-2005 at 04:08 PM.
Old 12-28-2005, 04:00 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by robertbartsch
..impact sockets are thicker and are made of softer steel compared to chrome ones. You could use only black impact sockets but the chrome sockets will fit in tighter places...
Exactly I use chrome sockets when i work on cars with aftermarket rims and the impact socket won't fit into the lugnut hole.
Old 12-28-2005, 10:34 AM
11 Second Club

Yep, Impacts are thicker walled. Dont always fit into tight places. Plus cost more than the chrome sockets.
Old 12-28-2005, 11:39 AM
Teching In

the chrome cost more from snap on, don't know about the other companies
Old 12-28-2005, 11:45 AM
11 Second Club

Everything costs more from SnapON. but they are good tools. Only tools I have that are snap on are my line wrenches. They seem to hold the nuts better/.
Old 01-14-2006, 06:59 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by jtmiller92
Everything costs more from SnapON. but they are good tools. Only tools I have that are snap on are my line wrenches. They seem to hold the nuts better/.
I own craftsman and when My car broke down at my grandfathers I had to use his tools (snap-on). More expensive but they are nice..
For my level of mechanical ability craftsman works fine but if I was in a professon using tools everyday I would definatly go snap on.
Old 02-12-2006, 07:51 PM
Launching!

Impact sockets are a softer metal than chrome ones, so they absorb some of the vibration of impact tools. This means less wear on your air tools than using chrome sockets. Thats the main difference between them. Like everyone else said, impacts are thicker, usually 6-point, and dont look as nice. I have a complete set of chrome, metric and standard, in 12 and 6 point, short and deep which does pretty much everyhting. I also have a set of deep impact sockets for my air gun (10-32mm) which i picked up at harbor freight for 20 bucks. Thats what i would suggest doing.

You CAN use the chrome sockets on all impact tools, but they cause a little more wear on the parts inside the gun, and if they break they usually shatter apart when impacted.

Whatever you do, i would suggest getting a 3/8" and 1/2" IMPACT universals.. They will not bind because of the design and are VERY strong
Old 02-26-2006, 01:04 AM
Launching!

ou can use chrome sockets that are craftsman with the lifetime warranty on your impact guns. You crack one... go get another.
Old 02-26-2006, 09:09 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Camaroguy22
ou can use chrome sockets that are craftsman with the lifetime warranty on your impact guns. You crack one... go get another.
That is what I do. I have yet to break a chrome socket with air tools, however I have broke several using just a regular break over. Just take the socket back to Sears and get another.
Old 02-26-2006, 05:55 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

i've broken 3 craftsman chrome sockets. i like that they are still open when the shop closes, so i can get a replacement, if they have it in stock. but there are more Sears locations than tool trucks around after 5 or 6 in the evening.
Old 02-28-2006, 01:58 AM
TECH Junkie

It is POSSIBLE to have a chrome socket shatter on an impact gun and take your hand apart with it....My dad runs a 480 ft/lb wrench at 160 psi....It will destroy chrome sockets pretty easily. They are fine however under less stressful conditions.
Old 02-28-2006, 11:52 AM
Staging Lane

One down side to chrome sockets, I was pulling a set of wheels, put socket on air impact hit the trigger hanging on to the socket loosely. A piece of chrome plating was hanging off socket cut my hand pretty good.
Old 03-03-2006, 04:02 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cbrich
That is what I do. I have yet to break a chrome socket with air tools, however I have broke several using just a regular break over. Just take the socket back to Sears and get another.
yea, same here, even my IR2131 (600lb-ft) doesn’t seem to break them but it does wallow out the drive holes eventually. OTOH, I seem to regularly rip the teeth off the ratchets.

I have a good combination of 3/8 stuff, but with the ˝” stuff I just have a set of 6pt SAE, 12pt SAE and 6pt metric and then all my bigger deep wells are impact since I’ve never run across anyplace that I needed a big, deep well that the thicker impact wouldn’t fit.

The other thing that I’ve found is that I’m fussier with the finish on my smaller stuff, and that all tends to be craftsman or better, where I so hated my tool truck big impacts that I replaced them with some cheap “Pittsburg” impacts from harbor freight that I’ve been thrilled with.

I also have a few oddballs, like I found that the kobalt 12point sockets are thinner walled then the rest so I have one that’s the alternator nut sized to deal with the little dinky alternator pulleys that some underdrive sets come with.
Old 03-06-2006, 10:47 PM
Teching In

Yes impact sockets have thicker which makes the stronger.
But nearly all the sockets made these days have a replacement warrenty. So I am not really worried about breaking a socket or the need of a set "impact socket".

My metric sockets and wrenches are all chrome. My Standard wrenches and sockets are all "industrial finish" which is a black finish. I wanted the 2 different colors to quickly know that I was picking up a metric or a standard wrench. My Snap On guy told me to paint my Industrial finish sockets and wrenches cuz they could rust when playing in water, but I have yet to have the problem.
Old 03-06-2006, 11:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

I don't like using small black tools.

Quick Reply: chrome vs impact socket