Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Common Noise (WAV Attached), help me identify?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2005, 08:28 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Common Noise (WAV Attached), help me identify?

Hi, my 1998 Z28 is making a noise that can be heard here:

http://potrod.com:8000/z.wav

This is my SECOND Camaro that is making this exact same noise, and I know at least one other person who is having the same exact noise, this HAS to be something someone here can recognize and identify for me since it seems to be so common (hopefully)

It happens on accelleration only, and only on "medium" accelleration. Ride height or lateral G's or brakes on/off all have no effect on noise. About 1/3 pedal it's there, more or less it's gone. Does it from dead stop all the way to highway speeds, sounds to be 1 "knock" per wheel revolution (hopefully a good sign).

Car is all stock except LCA's (which I shook around and seem silent).

What I am hoping (since I am poor) is that someone will say "this is the outer right wheel bearing and it's easy to replace yourself". :-)

BTW, my last Camaro (a 1993) did this noise for about 60k miles (not a typo) and it never got worse.

I'd be VERY VERY appreciative if someone can nail this one for me...
Old 12-28-2005, 04:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Are you talking about teh Whoop Whoop Whoop sound that slows down as you do? If so It is a wheel bearing. I just did a rebuild because of a sound like that and I had to replace both axle shafts. They were both severely pitted up. I put in 2 new Moser axles shafts and a new Ratech Deluxe gear install kit so I could change all the bearings in the rear. Total was 502.00 when finished. Hope this helps. Good Luck!
Old 12-28-2005, 08:03 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 99M6Z28
Are you talking about teh Whoop Whoop Whoop sound that slows down as you do? If so It is a wheel bearing. I just did a rebuild because of a sound like that and I had to replace both axle shafts. They were both severely pitted up. I put in 2 new Moser axles shafts and a new Ratech Deluxe gear install kit so I could change all the bearings in the rear. Total was 502.00 when finished. Hope this helps. Good Luck!
Welp, more info. I was stuck in the snow a few days ago, don't know if that matters, I was pretty gentle with it, also, just discovered the diff is moist all around the driveshaft yoke and it was about 1/2 a bottle low on fluid it turns out. Just finished refilling and am too pooped to testdrive it to see if that helps it. I hope I didn't cook my diff in the snow or because fluid leaked out. (about every other oil change I have them check the diff and they say it's been fine, maybe the snow incident induced the leak and it's just a fluke and not going to continue...?)

My noise is more of a clear solid KNOCK KNOCK that goes once per wheel rotation, sounds like it's on the right, but being seated left while driving I guess all diff noises sound like they are to the right.

the above WAV doesn't seem to play in winamp, you have to use media player or sound recorder or something if you are having problems getting the sound file. The sound file is pretty clear (and it's small) if you want to check it out...
Old 12-29-2005, 05:09 PM
Teching In

TTT

Anyone else have ideas for me? The sound file is VERY clear, the knocking can be heard easily.

Thanks..
Old 12-29-2005, 06:07 PM
Teching In

Just in case that WAV is giving problems to people, I made a High Quality MP3 out of it too, you can hear it here:

http://potrod.com:8000/z.mp3

I tried to attach it but it won't let me. I could really use the advice on this one.