Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

whats the purpose of poly motor mounts?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2005, 07:54 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default whats the purpose of poly motor mounts?

are these necessary for qtp longtubes on a 02 convertible m6 trans am? what are the pros and cons of these?
Old 12-28-2005, 08:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not necessary at all. Only pro is less engine movement, gives you a more solid feel without going to solid mounts.
Old 12-28-2005, 08:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Lots of people use them to keep the y pipe from hitting the bottom of the floor, I didn't want to hassle with the mounts so I got the bumpstop hanger from Thunder Racing.
Old 12-29-2005, 12:03 AM
Launching!

so if i run true duals i dont really need the poly mounts then?
Old 12-29-2005, 12:14 AM
That's what she said...

I would HIGHLY recommend throwing a set in. With my stock cam, my motor was solid as a rock when idling, no movement at all. I think they did worlds for how my car felt. One of my favorite mods has been poly motor/trans mounts. The motor mounts actually made the car vibrate LESS, but the tranny mount gave a little bit more vibration. I got used to that

Thunder sells them for 50$ and they are worth every penny. PLUS installing them is a snap if your installing headers.
Old 12-29-2005, 12:21 AM
Staging Lane

How hard are they to install after the header install?
Old 12-29-2005, 12:53 AM
TECH Regular

not too hard at all

it's something you'll probably only want to do once, but if the headers are out it's about as challenging as changing spark plugs
Old 12-29-2005, 02:05 AM
That's what she said...

Definatly take all the exhaust out, put the mounts in, then put the exhaust on

You will have to unbolt the alternator to get the driverside motor mount bolt out. Some people unbolt the a/c compressor to get the passenger side bolt out, but i've found its not necessary. I simply unbolted the mount from the block, then unbolted the pedestal from the k-member, and removed that whole assembly (loosten the motor mount bolt first for more flexibility).

BE CAREFUL with the alternator. There is a weather tight connector that plugs into the top of the alternator that only has 1 TINY red wire. This wire LOVES to rip out of the harness if you unbolt the alternator and let it swing. The main power wire is strong enough to suspend the alternator from, but this tiny one will rip and you will have to do a little surgery (PM me/search my posts if this happens). Its called the exciter wire.
Old 12-29-2005, 02:25 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by TheBlurLS1
Definatly take all the exhaust out, put the mounts in, then put the exhaust on

You will have to unbolt the alternator to get the driverside motor mount bolt out. Some people unbolt the a/c compressor to get the passenger side bolt out, but i've found its not necessary. I simply unbolted the mount from the block, then unbolted the pedestal from the k-member, and removed that whole assembly (loosten the motor mount bolt first for more flexibility).

BE CAREFUL with the alternator. There is a weather tight connector that plugs into the top of the alternator that only has 1 TINY red wire. This wire LOVES to rip out of the harness if you unbolt the alternator and let it swing. The main power wire is strong enough to suspend the alternator from, but this tiny one will rip and you will have to do a little surgery (PM me/search my posts if this happens). Its called the exciter wire.
......gee, well NOW you tell me.

When I swapped in the mounts I let the alternator hang as well and tore the excitor wire clean off. I thought my voltage was a little low and when I went back to look for potential problems I found it. It broke off inside the clip though and I couldn't get it out, nor could I find another clip like it. I ended up having to crimp on a female quick-disconnect, crip the end a little to make it smaller, and just slipped it on the terminal (threw the plug out). Ya it's ghetto rigged, but all the wire does is switch "on" when the alternator should start charging. Lesson learned and hopefully no one else makes the same mistake now.
Old 12-29-2005, 03:03 AM
TECH Addict

Crap since my headers are going in I should probably grab some of these and get it all done at once.
Old 12-29-2005, 08:38 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do you need to jack the engine up a little to get the mounts in and out?
Old 12-29-2005, 08:58 AM
TECH Senior Member

yeah you will have to move the motor around a lot so it will line up.
Old 12-29-2005, 01:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

It's definately worthwhile to do this while the headers are out. It's not too bad to do it with the exhaust in, but why make your life more difficult, right?

Yes, you need to lift the motor a bit to get the mount out. A prybar works wonders for moving the motor around with the new mount in the get the bolt to line up.
Old 12-29-2005, 06:39 PM
Launching!

me and a friend did this on my 00 and we didnt mess with the alternator at all.