Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

New Emissions in PHX?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2005, 12:43 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default New Emissions in PHX?

Hey guys,
You asked about emissions in Phx. I just took my step-dads 93' Alante in and they did a visual under the hood. Also they ran Smog tests on ALL that went in. They had a sign posted about more strict emissions guidlines mandated by Federal Law. This was at the testing center right off of Raintree and the 101. Has anyone had to take their F-body through yet?

It seems as though every car may be getting smog tested as well as a visual under the hood. I just want to be prepared when I do have to go in.
Old 12-29-2005, 12:45 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Before you know it, cali emission standards will be adopted by all states. Cool huh?
Old 12-29-2005, 12:56 PM
TECH Resident

I don't like the idea of that. Has anyone in PHX experienced the same thing? Are we going to have to put back all of our AIR and EGR stuff?
Old 12-29-2005, 06:42 PM
12 Second Club

I just smogged the 89 at the station by Brown and Higley. Granted the car is stock. The guys didn't do anything out of the ordinary. I'm not aware of any changes to OBDII cars (but I'm no authority either).
Old 12-29-2005, 06:48 PM
TECH Resident

If you have OBD-II they just plug the car in and check for any codes..thats it!

I am not sure about OBD-I though, i just know they DO a visual inspection
Old 12-29-2005, 11:27 PM
TECH Resident

OK I got a little worried. How do they know if certain cars have OBDII. Are they just that good at simply looking at a vehicle and knowing?
Old 12-30-2005, 12:27 AM
TECH Addict

96 and later cars are OBD II.
Old 12-30-2005, 12:23 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Redneck Z
96 and later cars are OBD II.
+1

if you have 96+ and you arent throwing any codes then you should pass
Old 12-30-2005, 02:53 PM
TECH Resident

OK well I have had the codes tuned out. Just wanted to make sure.
Old 12-30-2005, 03:41 PM
Staging Lane

I just did my 98 Formula. They popped the hood and yes they checked for the air, egr and plugged into the diagnostic port to check for codes. They didn't mirror under to check for cats though. This was the inspection station on Chandler Blvd between Kyrene and 96th St.
Old 12-30-2005, 03:43 PM
Staging Lane

Oh by the way I put the air tubes and egr back on just to be safe because I had removed them. Saved my *** from having to come back!
Old 12-30-2005, 04:47 PM
TECH Resident

Has anyone gone through without the EGR and AIR hooked up?
Old 12-30-2005, 06:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by sdbrown84
Has anyone gone through without the EGR and AIR hooked up?
Yes, along with no cats and long tubes with block off plates. No codes, passed and on my way.
Old 12-30-2005, 06:56 PM
Teching In

Default "Hello, McFly!!! Anybody HOME???"

Did it ever occur to any of you that the website here (especially ANYTHING said about "law" violations, and WHERE it has occurred! ie.: What Smog Station and where?) is being "MONITORED" by "THEM"!!!

Do you ever hear or read anything about the latest "violations" by the NSA (National Security Administration) who just recently was "busted" for placing "hidden cookies" on the general populations computers when vistitng "certain websites"??? When asked why they did it..."was a mistake." damn straight it was a MISTAKE! But the point is, by "BLABBING" all your "info" and the "where and why's" about what you have done or are going TO DO...well, let's just say... not rrrreeaallll bright!

If you have a "secret weapon", you don't tell the WHOLE DAMN WORLD you have one, do you???

World War II saying..."Loose lips sink ships!!!" Get it?
Old 12-30-2005, 11:53 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Orange Peel
Yes, along with no cats and long tubes with block off plates. No codes, passed and on my way.
Dang thats good to know!
Old 12-31-2005, 08:37 AM
Staging Lane

What law did I violate? I got all my **** put on correct. And they checked for it. Letting someone know that a certain location did their job correctly and inline with the law is no BIG secret.
Old 12-31-2005, 02:35 PM
Teching In

Default Missed it...

... the "point" that is.

Unfortunately, California (with all their "Liberal Idiots") influence the "other Liberal Idiots" in many of the states across the country. Especially when they find out just how much "$" California gets from the "Fed's" to harass people about their automobiles.

Why do you think the SEMA Organization has a legislative branch to "lobby" to protect the auto enthusiast?

My "point" is (and has been mentioned on this site by others about California influencing "other" states smog laws aswell) that if you continually "BLAB" all the things you DO to ALTER your vehicle, and... how you "outsmarted" (possibly) the Smog ****'s in your state and further tell everyone and God, what you have and "what" you have done to your car, well...

In Sacramento, the police department received a FEDERAL GRANT (in other words, part of your money) to train the police officers on what to look for on "hot rods" they pull over on "probable cause" violations. (Ever try to fight "probable cause"???)

Now, imagine that there are DUMB cops as well, that don't learn real well (as has already happened in Sacramento with people being cited for the wrong thing being "illegal" or "modified").

EXAMPLE: A "painted valve cover" was the reason for the citation! The policeman popped the hood and said that the "painted valve cover was an illegal modification". YEP! Stupid I know, but again, who has the gun and the law on their side???

It was on Nor Cal F-Body website for DAYS! And the further harrassments that followed. Local police even filmed cars and took license plate numbers on vehicles "legally racing" at the Sacramento Drag Strip! YEP!

So, my point (to bring it on home)...

I love my car's and have ALWAYS loved to modify them in many ways. But, I have learned at the expense of others that when someone says "...they can't DO that!" is just a matter of time before they CAN DO THAT!

Why you ask do they DO these things?

First reason (and the ONLY reason the police are "OK'd" to do these "things") is the $$$$$$$ MONEY that it generates! PERIOD.

Second reason, because they can, and most of them are just "bullies" who have seen to many "cop shows" and want to be a TV star!

In my eyes, you haven't done ANYTHING wrong! Nothing. Was just trying to give you ALL a little "view" of the "future" that may await the rest of you in the "other" 49 states.

"Take what you like and leave the rest!"

"The inevitable never happens. It is the unexpected, always."
- Lord Keynes
Old 12-31-2005, 04:32 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by HarryWS6
... the "point" that is.

Unfortunately, California (with all their "Liberal Idiots") influence the "other Liberal Idiots" in many of the states across the country. Especially when they find out just how much "$" California gets from the "Fed's" to harass people about their automobiles.

Why do you think the SEMA Organization has a legislative branch to "lobby" to protect the auto enthusiast?

My "point" is (and has been mentioned on this site by others about California influencing "other" states smog laws aswell) that if you continually "BLAB" all the things you DO to ALTER your vehicle, and... how you "outsmarted" (possibly) the Smog ****'s in your state and further tell everyone and God, what you have and "what" you have done to your car, well...

In Sacramento, the police department received a FEDERAL GRANT (in other words, part of your money) to train the police officers on what to look for on "hot rods" they pull over on "probable cause" violations. (Ever try to fight "probable cause"???)

Now, imagine that there are DUMB cops as well, that don't learn real well (as has already happened in Sacramento with people being cited for the wrong thing being "illegal" or "modified").

EXAMPLE: A "painted valve cover" was the reason for the citation! The policeman popped the hood and said that the "painted valve cover was an illegal modification". YEP! Stupid I know, but again, who has the gun and the law on their side???

It was on Nor Cal F-Body website for DAYS! And the further harrassments that followed. Local police even filmed cars and took license plate numbers on vehicles "legally racing" at the Sacramento Drag Strip! YEP!

So, my point (to bring it on home)...

I love my car's and have ALWAYS loved to modify them in many ways. But, I have learned at the expense of others that when someone says "...they can't DO that!" is just a matter of time before they CAN DO THAT!

Why you ask do they DO these things?

First reason (and the ONLY reason the police are "OK'd" to do these "things") is the $$$$$$$ MONEY that it generates! PERIOD.

Second reason, because they can, and most of them are just "bullies" who have seen to many "cop shows" and want to be a TV star!

In my eyes, you haven't done ANYTHING wrong! Nothing. Was just trying to give you ALL a little "view" of the "future" that may await the rest of you in the "other" 49 states.

"Take what you like and leave the rest!"

"The inevitable never happens. It is the unexpected, always."
- Lord Keynes

Ditto...California makes alot of money harrassing people about their cars. Once other states learn they can get into this big money maker, what makes you think they won't want to follow suit. Do you think the smog test is always going to consist of just a simple check for error codes if everyone and their mother keeps blabbing "ya I went to such and such place with LT's and an offroad pipe, and just deleted my codes, etc." People make this so widely known in the internet that it's just a matter of time before you all get to enjoy a complete "Cali style" smog test. Do you think only car junkies who could care less about smog are the only ones who read this???? I think what HarryWS6 was trying to convey is that there should be some discretion used on the WORLD WIDE WEB.
Old 12-31-2005, 05:17 PM
Staging Lane

I agree 100%. Safety from ourselves to the benefit of Govt. I figured I would post up after always hearing so and so got through with with such and such done to their car and only got scanned, whereas I got tested and the techs actually went through and checked what they were supposed to. My point was it's NOT a cut and dried "OBDII scan for codes and you'll pass emission checks".
Old 12-31-2005, 08:06 PM
Teching In

Default "Thank you..."

...RedneckZ!!!

That IS my point EXACTLY!!!

Quick Reply: New Emissions in PHX?