Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

resleeve 1 cylinder?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2005, 06:18 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default resleeve 1 cylinder?

I am the 3rd owner of my LS1. Due to unfortunate events, I had to pull engine. Now I am rebuilding it to repair the infamous LS1 oil pump failure damage. None of this was in the budget, but I am building a 383 stroker with Eagle crank and rods, Diamond pistons, LS6 ported/polished oil pump, LS2 timing chain, ARP head and main studs.
I believe it was the original owner who dropped a valve in cylinder #8. There are nicks and marks in the top of this cylinder wall. The cylinders must be honed from stock to accomodate the 3.905 new pistons.
Is it going to be a problem by having to resleeve one cylinder. Some friends have asked why don't I spend $500 and buy a new block- sure, since I have a money tree in my backyard.
I need to know what to do as I approach the machinast. Any experience would be great.
Old 12-29-2005, 07:14 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

most people say that it will cost the same to resleeve one cyl as it does to buy another block.
Old 12-29-2005, 07:18 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I assume the honing won't take care of the nick's? If not, the cost to sleeve that one cylinder may cost more than a new block, plus you have the reliabilty issue that comes from a re-sleeved cylinder. I personally wouldn't trust the local machine shop to re-sleeve my block. IMO, you should be able to find you a used block that is capable of being honed for less than $500. You don't have to buy a brand new one. That's what I would do anyway.
Old 12-29-2005, 09:08 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Darton replacement sleeve cost less than 75.00. Any machine shop should be able to install that sleeve for less than 120.00. Machine shops sleeve many types of blocks and 95% of them can do this right for you. This is not the same as doing a complete resleeve with wet sleeves. You should not have any the problems that you read on here about resleeves. Besides if you buy a used block you maybe aquiring someone elses problem at least you know what is wrong with yours.

Quick Reply: resleeve 1 cylinder?