Dynamometer Results & Comparisons Dyno Records | Dyno Discussion | Dyno Wars

???About DYNO #'s between 2 Dyno's

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2005, 09:13 AM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ???About DYNO #'s between 2 Dyno's

Ok I need a little understand why a Mustang dyno and a DynoJet dyno read different. Let me explain.
We build nitrous systems and test before and after on our DynoJet to make the jet patterns come out for Rearwheel HP.
Now when I have a customer on a Mustang Dyno the NA power is lower, and when adding the same nitrous as in the DynoJet pull we get a lower nitrous power number.

The amount of nitrous and fuel = X hp to the ground. Yet the Mustangs always seem to lower.
Add 100 only see 70 or so.

On a DynoJet add 100 see 97-105.

Whats up with this..

Ricky
Old 12-30-2005, 11:56 AM
TECH Resident

Mustang dynos are Eddy-current dynos(I think that's the proper term) which add a loan to the car to simulate actually driving down the road. To get #s from a Dynojet, the faster the wheel in the ground turns, the higher the numbers. A Mustang dyno actually simulates loads and real-world situations, thus why you get lower numbers than a Dynojet.
Old 12-30-2005, 12:51 PM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

I gotcha, but since you are comparing a NA to a N2o pass on the same dyno, shouldn't you get the same split just a lower value at each point..
Ricky
Old 12-30-2005, 09:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

The Mustang and Dynojet are two totally different tools that just happen to share the name "dyno". They measure two different things and go about different calculations and such to arrive at a number. The Mustang actually measures torque and calculates HP were the Dynojet, in simple terms, does it the other way around.

Almost like running at too different tracks and wondering why you got two different numbers.

By the way, try running your Mustang pulls at a set accelleration rate of something like 3 to 5 MPH per sec. and see if what your differences are. You are not using vehicle simulation for this but are holding the acceleration constant on the before and after test. This may "give you back" some of your loss you are seeing. LOL At the end of the day it really does not matter unless you are trying to sell a number. Just be consistent and use it for comparing. That is what the tool is really for.