Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how much i pipe with hooker catback?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2005, 02:23 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default how much i pipe with hooker catback?

Hey guys. I have the dynomouth exhaust right now, but am going to switch to hooker b/c I am going to get longtubes in the near future.

How much extra pipe does the hooker catback come with - because I'm going to have to cut off my exhaust in front of the current bullet muffler. That's about 4 inches from the y-pipe, which is not much room.

Will I have to get a small piece of straight pipe, or does the hooker come with enough pipe to go to the y?

Thanks for all your help!
Old 12-30-2005, 02:43 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

I would think that it comes with as much I pipe as your current LM, to mate up into your Y-pipe. Is your Y-pipe welded to your I-pipe? Or is you bullet welded on to the merge of the Y-pipe?
I don't see what the problem is. You shouldn't have to cut off anything, just undo your LM and put on the Hooker.
Old 12-30-2005, 02:43 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The hooker catback has enough piping to reach the Y-Pipe
Old 12-30-2005, 04:20 PM
TECH Addict

Thanks south and bastien.

I actually have a semi-custom dynomouth - never had a real lm installed, just had a bullet muffler in the I pipe, and minus the school bus muffler!

glad to hear it comes with a long pipe though.
Old 12-30-2005, 04:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have Hooker LT's with no cats, along with the Hooker cat back. I've had the Hooker cat back 4 1/2 years no problem. When I put the LT's in and removed the cats I had to put a Dynomax 24" in the the I pipe to control the rasp. If you have a flow through bullet in the I pipe think about leaving it in!!!
Old 12-30-2005, 04:47 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by bigdsz
I have Hooker LT's with no cats, along with the Hooker cat back. I've had the Hooker cat back 4 1/2 years no problem. When I put the LT's in and removed the cats I had to put a Dynomax 24" in the the I pipe to control the rasp. If you have a flow through bullet in the I pipe think about leaving it in!!!
haha, good point man. the bullet is just before a bend, so If i can get a bend into it, I will keep it. If not, bye-bye...it goes

I plan on keeping my cats however.

Thanks again guys!
Old 12-30-2005, 07:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

If you keep the cats you shouldn't need the bullet. The cats tend to kill the rasp.