Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

even MORE cut out questions

Old 12-31-2005, 11:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default even MORE cut out questions

hey, I hate to ask even more questions, but I've never modded my car and I'm really anxious to start but I don't want anything going wrong, so thanks for the patience.

I want a cut out, and I found the 3inch will fit best. But I'm completely incompetent when it comes to the exhaust piping terms... where exactly is the I-pipe? is that the long part after the pipe after it merges and before it bends over the rear end?

And is the cat that big bubble I see in the exhaust right under the passenger door, before the pipe merges? And can someone explain to me the best place to put the cutout so that a complete idiot will understand? Thanks a lot.

I'm pretty ignorant cause I don't have any friends that know enough about cars to tech me anything so I have to get my info on message boards and it's alittle different. But I'm hoping to start learning more when I start modding.

thanks again for the help
Old 12-31-2005, 12:00 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Using my old car as a prop, one must consider that the I-pipe in my old car is much shorter than it is in others due to the length of that huge Flowmaster Y-merge collector, but the I-pipe is the segment that goes from that merge of the Y, to the rear axle.

Once the I comes up to the rear axle, it becomes the "over the axle pipe", and loops over the rear axle. It then snakes into the muffler.

In the 2nd picture, there is a niche in the floorboard under the passenger seat. That's where the cutout goes.

The cats normally are found in the Y-pipe, just aft of the long tube header collectors. The Y-pipe you see here has no cats. It has elect. cutouts instead.
Old 12-31-2005, 08:38 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

back when i had that thing on my car.
http://www.stealthram.com/qtpcutout.html

Old 12-31-2005, 09:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

You have a few options. The ideal place for the install is the cavity just forward of the passenger rear wheel. Most cutouts, electric or manual fit nicely in this cavity (it almost appears as it if was made purposely for a cutout). Or other locations as shown in the pics on this site.

http://207.127.219.37/cutout.htm

If you go manual and not electric, then the best place is IMO is aft of the rear wheel. It's easy there is reach in with a wrench and remove the three nuts to remove the cap (see pics) without jacking up the car.

Lastly, if you go manual, get a stainless one rather than steel.

Search this Thread