Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is this normal for a big ass cam?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2006, 04:00 PM
SSU's Drunk Typing Whore

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Is this normal for a big *** cam?

Installed the MS3 and PRC heads.

When I fired her up yesterday I was pretty surprised. Well for one the oil pressure never came up so I shut her down after 7 or so seconds - Got to take care of that sometime this week.

Anyway, what surprised me is that she started first try. Idled on her own at 1k and stayed there by herself. Never tried to die on me, never had to give her gas to keep her going either. It also did not sound that different to me? I heard no lope, actually sounded like the stock cam but louder. Not sure if thats normal or not? stock tune, no tb drilling etc..

Kinda surprised me
Old 01-01-2006, 04:02 PM
Banned

well - even idling at 1k rpm - you should still hear a lope with that cam. maybe not as much as it idling at 7-800 rpm, but still. i'd degree the cam to make sure you got the right cam.
Old 01-01-2006, 04:40 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Lithium
Anyway, what surprised me is that she started first try. Idled on her own at 1k and stayed there by herself. Never tried to die on me, never had to give her gas to keep her going either. It also did not sound that different to me? I heard no lope, actually sounded like the stock cam but louder. Not sure if thats normal or not? stock tune, no tb drilling etc..

Kinda surprised me
Hey! Glad to hear you got her running! What was it that was keeping you from starting her? Well, I can tell you that my car did the same thing. Started up, idled at 1200~rpm. Didnt hear much of a lope. I have a ported throttle body, so I ran the idle set screw down, to where she wanted to idle around 600rpm and slowly screwed it up until she idled at 750rpm. She idles now around 700-800rpm. Some small fluctuations there but not much. You can try that if you have a set screw. My old stock TB did, maybe your in luck. Try that out. Oh..get the oil press thing figured out too..did you maybe leave the connector unplugged???

Ski
Old 01-01-2006, 04:45 PM
SSU's Drunk Typing Whore

No I loosened one of those 2 bolts that hold down those clips that go the PCM. That was like 2 weeks ago cause I thought I was going to take it out and send to TSP for them to tune. But I decided not to and just never torqued down one of the two bolts.

I knew it was going to be something reallllly retarded.

Now I have to figure out why there is no oil pressure
Old 01-01-2006, 05:54 PM
12 Second Club

Well, at least it was something small. I'd be more worried about the oil press problem though. Heres the link to my post with the video on it. You can see what I meant about high idle..then we got it fixed..
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...42#post4014542
Old 01-01-2006, 09:12 PM
TECH Regular

i think i would be more concerned about having no oil pressure. did you remove the pump.
Old 01-01-2006, 09:15 PM
SSU's Drunk Typing Whore

LOL yeah I am.

Yeah I swapped it with a ported LS6 pump I bought off of a member on here.

I really dont know why there is no pressure...I know I installed that basterd right...
Old 01-02-2006, 01:44 AM
Staging Lane

Mine also started right up on a stock tune, it was great, then I shortly figured out the thermostat stuck closed sometime during the swap. So my fun too was cut short. With this cam you won't hear a huge lope above 1000 rpm. Don't get too exited though, put a load on the engine and the lack of a tune becomes apparent. Probobly won't start and hold idle that well again, till its tuned.
Old 01-02-2006, 11:43 AM
yak
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

my x3 fired right up the first time. idled a little high about 1000rpm but was fine, could still hear the lope, opened up the cutout and could really hear the lope. try a warm start and see what happens, my car would not hold idle on a warm start for **** until I opened the setscrew, even then it wanted to die.
Old 01-02-2006, 01:52 PM
TECH Addict

Did you put in a double roller timing chain? If so, did you make sure to put the spacers between the oil pump and the block (they can be put on upside down, blocking oil passage)?

If you're still running a single chain, I'd tear her down again and check the oil pump O-ring to make sure it isn't pinched. I had the same problem with a truck I was working on over the weekend and the O-ring was pinched so it had no oil pressure.

Another thing it could be is the oil pressure sending unit. Since you swapped heads also, did you by any chance break the sending unit under the intake manifold?

It could be either of these three, but I'm leaning towards the O-ring. Good to hear you have it all buttoned up!

Quick Reply: Is this normal for a big ass cam?