Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cutout location ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2006, 12:43 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default cutout location ?

lookin for pics of cutout locations before i buy one if yall dont care...thanx
Old 01-02-2006, 12:46 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what about cutout location for a single???
Old 01-02-2006, 02:30 AM
TECH Junkie

single, double, whatever
Old 01-02-2006, 02:50 AM
TECH Regular

Let me see. I dont have any pics except of what the cutout looks like uninstalled. But i can easily explain where to put it. You wanna go after the Y-Pipe. Under the car the sheet metal after the Y-pipe will start to curve upwards. You put it right there in the curve with the opening pointing upwards slightly. If your doing an electric cutout(which i strongly advise)then put the electric solenoid on and dry fit it. Make sure it has plenty of clearance all the way around. You dont want it smacking on stuck while it shakes. If you doing dual cutouts, i believe they are located where the Y-Pipe is still two pipes(after the cats) and where the bends start. Not 100% sure on the duals though. Here are some pics that are on QTP.

http://www.quicktimeperformance.com/...customers2.php
Old 01-02-2006, 02:57 AM
TECH Junkie

i'm kinda leaning towards the single, but i dont know if i want to put it under the car or at the bend of the I-pipe right before it goes into the muffler, but maybe puttin it that far back wouldnt do much good
Old 01-02-2006, 03:04 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is no major hp difference between the locations, so put it where you want it. I have had a cutout in both locations multiple times, and the spot just before the muffler is my favorite. It's much easier to change and there is less drone inside the cabin.
Old 01-02-2006, 03:08 AM
TECH Junkie

how much of a difference would there be between a single and doubles in the y-pipe ? the only that that sux would be havin to look at em and i'd have to keep my windows rolled up when they were open
Old 01-02-2006, 03:14 AM
TECH Regular

It is ofcourse all up to you and what you like. I like hearing the noise in the car. But i dont like that you can actually feel the bottom of my rear seat get warm. Not hot, but it does warm up some. The location i have it also turns that part of the undercarriage black. But I dont care what the underneath looks like, as long as everything works right, is properly lubricated, and doesnt look like anything is broken. Tomorrow if i get a chance ill gooutside and take a picture of mine for you. One thing i do suggest, if you can. Clean up the inside of the cutout some before you install it. You will notice when you get it that it looks like someone jsut beat a hole in the side of a pipe and then welded another pipe up to it. Does not look like a nice smooth transfer of exhaust gas. Here are some pics of what mine looked like after i opened up the hole more and cleaned it up.

Old 01-02-2006, 03:16 AM
TECH Junkie

i'm building my own and gettin the electric opener, thanx for the help
Old 01-02-2006, 05:52 PM
12 Second Club

Where can you get an electric opener from?
Old 01-02-2006, 05:59 PM
TECH Junkie

lot of the sponsors sell em, just the valve is what I mean or you can buy a complete kit