Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

comcast digital VS Direct tv (PA guys)

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2006, 01:18 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default comcast digital VS Direct tv (PA guys)

hey guys basically i want to upgrade from my basic comcast subscription and i dont know whether to go with comcast digital or direct tv. the only thing making me lean towards direct tv is the cheaper price and more channels, but on the other hand with direct tv i wont have comcast to watch the flyers sixers and phillies? anyone have or had both of these can give me a hand or soem advice
thanks
Old 01-02-2006, 02:03 AM
Launching!

Cable can suck in its own ways, but not nearly as much as satellite. Go for digital.
Old 01-02-2006, 08:00 AM
12 Second Club

You should make sure they fon't offer those programs I get the celts and bruins with my sat.
Old 01-02-2006, 11:16 AM
On The Tree

I have dish network.
I got rid of Comcast ~3 years ago. The picture through the statellite companies is far superior to Comcast, plus you save a lot of money as well. Dish Network and Direct TV both have sports packages that you can receive more sporting events. With the $ I save on the monthly bill, I bought an HD DVR from Dish and I still saved money compared to staying with Comcast.

Some of Comcast HD/Digital signals are transmitted at a very low bit rate which makes the images blocky during fast movement.

I heard Cablevision is a lot better then Comcast and their rates are more in line with the satellite providers, but they are not available in my area.
Old 01-02-2006, 12:16 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

werd i just switched from basic cable to satallite...dvr in 2 room & 2x as many channels for the same price as basic. Personally I havent had any issues with mine and my dad hasnt had any problems with his direct TV over the past two years...i say make the switch you'll be glad you did.
Old 01-02-2006, 12:51 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i'm pretty sure with dish you can request (and pay for) specific channels. my roomate down here in TX has dish at his house, and he special ordered WSBK (boston tv38) so he can watch the red sox.
Old 01-02-2006, 01:00 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ls1ssws6
hey guys basically i want to upgrade from my basic comcast subscription and i dont know whether to go with comcast digital or direct tv. the only thing making me lean towards direct tv is the cheaper price and more channels, but on the other hand with direct tv i wont have comcast to watch the flyers sixers and phillies? anyone have or had both of these can give me a hand or soem advice
thanks
If your OK with having a maximum of 2 TV's and your sure you have a clear line of site to the satellite. You would probably do a lot better with a dish.

If you have more TV's then go with the Digital Cable on your main TV.
Old 01-02-2006, 01:27 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by steveb1
If your OK with having a maximum of 2 TV's and your sure you have a clear line of site to the satellite. You would probably do a lot better with a dish.

If you have more TV's then go with the Digital Cable on your main TV.
i have cable in 4 rooms now...i think i will call direct tv and ask them if i can get a specific channel like slayer so i can watch phillies and flyers games screw the 6ers lol....either way i go it will be an upgrade and i will enjor it so well see...also direct tv said 60 bucks and that is with the hd and dvr so itll be a lot cheaper than comcast who told me around 95 bucks with hd and tivo
Old 01-02-2006, 01:31 PM
12 Second Club

dtv tvo kinda sucks because you don't get all of the other features that a reg tivo subscriber gets.
Old 01-02-2006, 01:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

they both suck...overpriced and rental fees for set top boxes is bullshit....but their days are numbered.

Verizon is installing fiber everywhere to offer TV...already blowing Comcast away with internet prices...$14.95 for 760k or $34 for 15Mb/s..Comcast is out of bandwidth...

Also soon you will be able to order TV over the net...its coming...someone needs to put concast out of business...and Verizon is the company to do it if they dont get greedy.

Also just get windows media center for your PC and put TiVo out of business too...
Old 01-02-2006, 01:54 PM
Staging Lane

All I can say about satallite is, the one time you wanna watch TV is when its crappy out. Well if its snowen or raining hard.. there goes your signal.... happens at my store ALL the time.
Old 01-02-2006, 02:27 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by SAM98WS6
they both suck...overpriced and rental fees for set top boxes is bullshit....but their days are numbered.

Verizon is installing fiber everywhere to offer TV...already blowing Comcast away with internet prices...$14.95 for 760k or $34 for 15Mb/s..Comcast is out of bandwidth...

Also soon you will be able to order TV over the net...its coming...someone needs to put concast out of business...and Verizon is the company to do it if they dont get greedy.

Also just get windows media center for your PC and put TiVo out of business too...
is this the reason verizon is offering discounts on direct tv? i have verizon as my home phone and dsl for my computer and i called and they are giving me a $10/month discount on direct tv? so you guys think that direct tv is the best way to go?.....you reallly lose reception with direct tv in the rain/snow/wind? i thought that was a problem when they first came out i thought they resolved that issue?
Old 01-02-2006, 02:42 PM
12 Second Club

My reception hardly ever goes out it's 100% most of the time.
Old 01-02-2006, 04:17 PM
11 Second Club

had direct for a while but now we have Dish with 4 recievers and half the price. cant beat it.
Old 01-02-2006, 08:08 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by CamaroSS621
had direct for a while but now we have Dish with 4 recievers and half the price. cant beat it.
where are you located?
Old 01-02-2006, 10:02 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Akuma
All I can say about satallite is, the one time you wanna watch TV is when its crappy out. Well if its snowen or raining hard.. there goes your signal.... happens at my store ALL the time.
The dish is probably not pointed/installed properly. I lost signal for less than 30 minutes over the whole last year because of extreme down pours. You loss it for only a couple of minutes at a time. If it continued raining at the same rate when I lose the signal, the street would be flooded in less than 15 minutes. I have not never lost the signal because of snow or wind.

When I had comcast, I lost service a couple of times for several hours, and one time for an entire day all within six months. My comcast signal was always grainy also.

Comcast will have to downsize in a couple of years. They are losing lots of subscribers to satellite and then when Verizon hits the market with the fiber to homes, it will be even more lost subscribers. After I cancelled with Comcast, I received several calls from them where they offered to buy my satellite equipment from me to subscribe with them again. I must say, when I cancelled my Comcast tv service, the customer service rep was extremely rude. As a reward for his rudeness, I decided to cancel my cable modem at the same time and signed up for DSL.
Old 01-02-2006, 11:02 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Well I'm a system tech for a cable company. And without being bias both have they're ups and downs. When it comes to service/repairs with cable you have an in-house tech respond to your issues, if the problem is with our equipment(converters) it is replaced with no cost to you. With satellite you own your equipment (receiver) if that craps out you have to repair it or replace it at your expense. With cable not all the channels are digital(not yet ) like satellite. As for fiber almost all cable plants are hybrid/fiber systems. Meaning the signal leaving the headend is in light form(fiber) this fiber goes straight to your neighborhood into a node were it is converted to RF. Bandwidth is not an issue, on the RF SPECTRUM an average system can go all the way up 1000+Mhz easily. One day just messing around the headened tech and myself decided to fully open up my test modem and see how much it can download and it reached almost 15mb at an END point termination location. At this point cable systems can offer more services than satellite can offer due to that upgraded systems have return capabilities. Thats why phone companies are pairing up with satellite companies to offer discounts/offers.

And before anybody asks I'm not allowed to say how to put digital recievers into TESTING MODE so don't ask

Last edited by Danny2tek; 01-02-2006 at 11:08 PM.
Old 01-03-2006, 07:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

I think Verizon is teaming up with Direct TV now just to take customers from Comcast..

They will drop them soon...Around here its fiber to the home everywhere...not to the neighborhood. Change is coming in the next year or two I think. If comcast doesnt give a better deal...they will be just like AOL is now...suckin *** and losing tons of customers.....

Remember all the lies we were told when the industry was deregulated...Competition will drive prices down...all bullshit...monopolies just bought up all the competition....technology will drive prices down...
Old 01-03-2006, 07:54 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by ls1ssws6
where are you located?
PA west chester/exton
Old 01-03-2006, 12:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

check your comcast bills...they were supposed to have a price increase effective Jan 1 2006 "due to increased cost for ESPN"....Comcast sucks

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10295748/from/RSS

Last edited by SAM98WS6; 01-03-2006 at 12:16 PM.