Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Building my OWN Procharger KIT

Old 01-02-2006, 02:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Building my OWN Procharger KIT

Guys, I figure this would be a Great Idea but I wanted to see if this makes since. I have a LT1 Trans am with a Ws6 LS1 Front Clip. I have a Low compression 383 Shortblock with Ported AFR heads, Ported LT4 intake and a 1300CFM monoblade. I plan on running a P1SC setup for it (nothing too Special but enough for me) Buddy of mine just made 560RWHP and 620RWTQ with basically my same setup on 8lbs with a 12 Rib setup.

Whats Better 12 Rib, 8 Rib, or this SDCE setup that I keep hearing about??????

Heres my question, I am looking at around 3600 For a P1sc kit for my Lt1. Now I don't know much about the kits but I do know I am going to run a FMIC setup So I don't really need the Intercoolers that come with the ATI kit along with the piping Built for the kit THATS WASTED MONEY.

SO I thought would I be better off just buying the head unit, and all the OTHER parts THAT I DO NEED buy them SEPERATLY too, IT would Prolly Be CHEAPER AND BAR FAR Superior to some of The ATI parts.

What Parts to I need to get from ATI and what do I need to get Elsewhere is What I am asking.
Old 01-02-2006, 10:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

This is what I THINK I need.

P1SC Head Unit
Filter and Hat to go on Head unit
SDCE Bracket and Belt setup Tensioner
ATI bypass or BOV (don't know much about these)
OBX FMIC
Intercooler Piping (DO I use regular Exhaust Steel?)
Clamps and Silicone hose to mate the MAF sensor, piping, ETC.

I figure and Exhaust shop could been the pipe the way I need them too.

I heard to use PVC pipe to mock up my INtercooler and Blower Piping.
Old 01-02-2006, 10:59 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's what I did but with a Vortech:

http://home.mindspring.com/~jim_fisk/id1.html

It's a lot of planning and handwork to get it to come out correct and clean. I built all my mounts, pipes, designed the FMIC, spec'd all the parts etc. I've learned a lot and feel like it's more of a satisfying ownership than buying a pre-made street car.

You end up with a unique vehicle, and if you tune it well, a kick-*** hotrod as well.

Jim
Old 01-03-2006, 05:05 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

I can order the complete ATI ProCharger kit for you, but take off the intercoolers and intercooler plumbing. If we ordered the kit starting out with the twin hi flow intercooler option, then deleted the intercoolers, the kit would come with the 12 rib belt for your LT1. This would be the cheapest way to get all the parts you need.
I would also suggest you pay the several hundred extra dollars it takes to jump up to the D-1SC. With the extra cubes, AFR heads, etc, you can run the P-1SC out of breath. Bob
Old 01-03-2006, 11:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Bob, What exactly do you mean I would run the P1 out of Breath, I am such a newbie, lol. I hear a lot of good stuff about the D1.
Bob is there any way you could Pm me some prices on what you could do.
Maybe soem Head unit Prices on the p1 and D1, and maybe some non intercooled kits.

I want all the Brackets for the charger itself, Pullies, head unit, etc. I just dont want any of the piping for it Nor do I want the intercoolers,

I'd Very much appeciate that .
Old 01-03-2006, 12:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

You should get the head unit and the SDCE kit to start. Then you will need the blower intake hat unless you plan on doing something custom. From there, you can do everything yourself really. You need to do something with your fans too. The ATI kit deletes one of the fans. Someone succesfully mounted twin pusher fans on the front of the radiator. They just dropped right in, so that would be something to look at. Do a search for it. Aluminum bends and piping are avaliable online, I will try to find the link.
Old 01-03-2006, 01:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well I figure for the Blower hat I could either get a ATI one of I am sure FI places Sell a Hat to mount onto the head unit, I could run some Rubber Tubing and attach my Filter with some Clamps.

I guess I could call them, but what exactly does the SDCE kit come with (I Figure I could get them to send me the Bracket to mount the Head unit and etc)

As far as my Twin LT1 style Fans, I would not think there would be a Problem with them??? I have a couple of Ls1 cars in the stable and they are setup the same way???

I was planning on running the stock fans and Radiator for the time Being.
Old 01-03-2006, 01:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

First off its a LT1 car not a LS1 so the kits are different..... Id give Bob a call and dont even waste your time with the P1SC. Go with the D1SC and buy the piping prebent off ebay. Buy the couplers you need from Jim at Hightemp siclicone.com
He sells the T-Bolt clamps also. Dont run a BOV on a SC setup.. it will have annoying chirping sound at cruise. Use the Vortech Mondo bypass. Its about $240 from either Jegs or Summit and buy the flange for it straight from Vortech. Its about $16 if i remember right and on there website.

Ask up if ya have anymore questions.
Kyle
Old 01-03-2006, 03:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

I just want to run somewhere in the 8-12lbs of boost maybe even a few more lbs. Buddy just made over 550RWHP and over 600RWTQ with his p1 and he even told me to go with the D1. How much difference is the head unit price if no more than 4-5 hundred dollars then I am game.

I don't really now how you loose boost since the motor is running more Efficent (high flowing heads, cubes, cam, etc) but that could make a whole different Thread, lol)
Then again a High Flowing intercooler Setup lets you make more boost as well, Like a FMIC setup with an Open Grill.

NA$TY-TA Is the Vortech Mondo bypass the best one for my application??
I suppose its better than the ATI bypass.
Also where can this be located and why is it needed?
Old 01-03-2006, 05:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

When the TB is closed after you let of the compressed air from the SC needs somehwere to escape....... Yes it is if you want the ATI race it is $400 the Vortech is $240.....

I said were u can buy it in my first response.
Kyle
Old 01-04-2006, 05:18 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

The D-1SC head unit is only several hundred more than the P-1SC, so it's a very affordable upgrade for the added performance that you get with it. Give me a call for prices, as I can't put into any form of print, my low prices, per ATI's pricing rules. Bob
Old 01-04-2006, 02:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

May have found something I could Use for the hat of the Supercharger. Check it out guys, there is some pretty nice stuff one this Site. I have used these guys before, bought a 90MM TB, 100 Degree elbow, TPS, and IAC setup for a Single plain. Fast shipping and Excellent Parts
NON-SPONSOR

Figure this looked Better than the ATI Hat, as long as the ATI units are a 3inch outlet on the Blower .

Last edited by 777; 01-04-2006 at 03:27 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Building my OWN Procharger KIT