Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stock ROCKER arm/sticking valve question!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2006, 11:42 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Stock ROCKER arm/sticking valve question!!

Hello Everyone,
I just got done putting my valve train back together with new pushrods ect...
As I was torquing them down to 22lbsft, keeping in mind that the valve was in the closed position on all the rockers. Once I was done with this, I noticed that my rockers would slide side to side, but not rock back and forth (aka not pushrod to valve tip)...make sense? This is keeping in mind that my lifters have no oil in them and have bleed down.

Is this normal?

On another note when I was rotating my engine I noticed that one of my valves stuck open, so I rotated it some more to open the valve back up, thinking there was something in the chamber, nothing fell and the valve went back up and stopped in the same place. So, I tapped on the retainer, and the vavle popped back up. Could this have been a lock that didn't sit right?

Thanks!!
Adrian
Old 01-03-2006, 12:36 AM
TECH Addict

ttt for the night
Old 01-03-2006, 01:05 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like a bent valve stem hitting the guide or liner. Valves don't just stay open. That's why you have valve springs. If the retainer lock wasn't properly seated chances are both locks and the retainer itself would have popped out when you released the spring tool.

Last edited by eallanboggs; 01-03-2006 at 01:11 AM.
Old 01-03-2006, 06:06 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Adrian,

Before starting the car, I would bring the piston up on the sticking valve, remove the rocker and valve spring (with the piston up the valve won't drop) and then move the valve around to see if there is an issue.

Were these new heads?

How much did the valve stay down?

Something sounds wrong, I wouldn't start the car until you figure it out to prevent any damage should there be a problem.
Old 01-03-2006, 09:00 AM
TECH Addict

Thanks for the responses!....

I know for a fact that the valves aren't bent, I inspected the head and valves before I put them on, and checked for proper P2V clearances, and I had plenty... =)

These heads were not new, but they ran fine before I got them, with only about 3K miles on the springs.

The valve did stay down about a quarter to half inch. I have double springs...is it possible when I took off the springs before, and put it back on that the inner spring didn't seat right and get bound up on the main spring? Thats the only thing I can think of..

The valve moves up and down fine, and nothing is bent. I also put the spring back on and it moves fine after hand rotating the engine about 10 times haha.

Any other thoughts?,
Adrian
Old 01-03-2006, 09:37 AM
TECH Addict

how about the rocker rocking side to side when the valve is closed, and lifters bled down...does this on all cylinders, not just the one that had stuck..

thanks
Old 01-03-2006, 11:30 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Haans249
how about the rocker rocking side to side when the valve is closed, and lifters bled down...does this on all cylinders, not just the one that had stuck..

thanks
There will be a little side to side motion just from tolerances in the bearings, but it shouldn't be excessive.
Old 01-03-2006, 01:33 PM
TECH Addict

Sweet, thats what I thought, thnk you very much vettenuts....you've been great help!