Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

boot replacement

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2006, 11:45 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default boot replacement

My passenger side boot on the rack and pinion is torn up. It is leaking fluid out when I turn the wheel. Can I replace the boot and fix it or is there not suppossed to be power steering fluid in there? Everything is working fine, just leaking when the wheel is turned either way. The tear is on the top and I can see the shiney bar, or whatever you call it, that comes out of the rack and pinion. It doesn't leak just sitting there. It holds the fluid in until you turn the wheel to bind the boot up. Thanks for any help.
Old 01-03-2006, 07:03 PM
On The Tree

Does anyone know if there is supposed to be power steering fluid in the boot or not? Will a new boot fix it or not? Or will I need to buy a new rack and pinion or can I rebuild the rack and pinion or what? It seems that a new boot will hold the fluid in as the torn one does until I turn the wheel to bind it together to force the fluid out through the torn area. Thanks for any help.
Old 01-03-2006, 07:40 PM
Teching In

there is not supposed to be any fluid in that area, your rack is most likely leaking internally, it will have to be rebuilt or replaced
Old 01-03-2006, 08:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My is torn too for some reason. What's involved in replacing the boot? When I was under there, it looked like there's some major alignment components that I'd have to take off to get a new boot on there. Anyone replaced one of these before?