Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

hardtop to t-top swap

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2006, 03:41 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hardtop to t-top swap

About to perform, looking for anyone around the virginia area who has sucessfully completed this mod, to 6 hours out in any direction. If you have done this before, please reply, PM, email, IM, etc. I don't want to mess this up and if any person would be up for doing another, or has tips on thier conversion, please contact me. Thanks
Old 01-03-2006, 10:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

http://members.fortunecity.com/gripe...onversion.html

Guy from our local club followed this write-up. Measure twice, cut once
Old 01-03-2006, 11:13 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I wonder how much it might cost for a body shop to do it, it doesnt look like that much labor or too hard, I just dont think I would be able to get through it without freaking out. I dont have the ***** to hack the roof off of my car...
Old 01-03-2006, 11:26 PM
On The Tree

If you want a car w/ T-tops buy one.. dont ruin a perfectly good hardtop.
Old 01-04-2006, 04:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

well they put sun/moon roofs into cars all the time. last week i saw a mustang with a moon roof. so i would take it somewhere that does that kind of work. but i doubt they would touch it, seems too complicated and the liabilty of ruining the frame/structure of the car
Old 01-05-2006, 11:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Spdmini
If you want a car w/ T-tops buy one.. dont ruin a perfectly good hardtop.
Wow there's an orginal response

Maybe he likes he's car and has done alot to it where selling it would be stupid. Maybe he wants a challenge. Maybe he's just bored with extra time on his hands and he figures "Why the hell not".
Old 01-05-2006, 12:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

I wouldnt do it... but thats just me. Id be happy w/ a hard top. T-Tops are nice on a perfect day outside, other than that, i could care less to have them. I have them on my 95 camaro and my 02 trans am and the fun factor ran out when I got my TA. Now, the shades keep the sun from glaring down on me and the ttops rarely get taken out...

Just me though.
Old 01-05-2006, 06:25 PM
On The Tree

I like the moonroof idea... adding t-tops seems scary and unreliable...
Old 01-05-2006, 07:00 PM
On The Tree

The moonroof is a worse idea than the T-tops.. if you look at the headlinder of any f-body you will notice that center section is quite a bit lower than the surrounding area, this is for the central brace that runs from the top of the windshield to the hatch.

Oh and PopaPork.. go pork yourself. I was only stating my opinion.
Old 01-05-2006, 08:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

He didn't ask for you opinion, he asked for people who have done it before and had tips or could offer him some help. Not "What do you think about me puttin T-Tops in?" Plus everytime some one says they are thinking about doing this, or asking about it, there's always someone with the sammmme freaking answer, "If you wanted T-tops buy a T-top car" "If you want an M6 buy one with and M" "If you want an SS/Firehawk/insert car here, go buy one"

Opinions are like ********, and on this board everyone has one and they feel the need to share them allllll the freaking time.
Old 01-05-2006, 08:38 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by PopaPork
He didn't ask for you opinion, he asked for people who have done it before and had tips or could offer him some help. Not "What do you think about me puttin T-Tops in?" Plus everytime some one says they are thinking about doing this, or asking about it, there's always someone with the sammmme freaking answer, "If you wanted T-tops buy a T-top car" "If you want an M6 buy one with and M" "If you want an SS/Firehawk/insert car here, go buy one"

Opinions are like ********, and on this board everyone has one and they feel the need to share them allllll the freaking time.

Aww... Muffin!
Old 01-05-2006, 09:25 PM
On The Tree

I have all the hardware to do this as well. Ive thought about doing it when I get my car running . It does not look to hard .
Old 01-05-2006, 09:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

every single sunroof in any car is aftermarket, none are done at the factory
Old 01-06-2006, 07:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

sssiiigghhh. i wasnt sayin put a sunroof/moonroof in!!! i was stating that fact that he could go to a shop that does that, and maybe they can convert his hardtop to ttop. stay on topic people!
Old 01-06-2006, 01:00 PM
On The Tree

If you take out the healiner to expose the metal roof, there may be an outline of where the t-tops are suppossed to be cut out. Thats whats on the 3rd gen cars I know for sure. Would make it a lot easier! Hope its there on this gen. Good luck.
Old 01-08-2006, 03:29 PM
On The Tree

Its not like that on third gens at all. If you wanted to to a t-top conversion on a third gen its alot more complicated. You'd have to cut off the whole roof of a t-top car and swap it onto the hardtop car, making sure you cut in the right spots and your welds are perfect on the a pilliars etc. 4th gens on the other hand, are alot simpler, remove the headliner and cut away the roof, get the t-top hardware, weather stripping t-tops etc. and your pretty much done. Just gotta make sure you don't cut into the structure, just the metal cover roof part. Really its alot more practical on 4th gen then selling it for a t-tops car, 3rd gen on the other hand, well yea sell it for a t-top car is alot better.

To see how its done on a third gen go to these guys www.markscustomkits.com
Old 01-08-2006, 09:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Give the Stenod Performance guys a call. Rumor has it that they have been converting some of their t-top race cars to hardtops recently to save weight. Michigan is a bit of a haul, but they might just have all the parts you need and the know-how to do it.

-Geoff

Quick Reply: hardtop to t-top swap