Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine surging....

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2006, 09:11 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Engine surging....

A few days ago my engine started to surge badly around 2,500 rpms or so and above. It has been progressively getting worse that it has driven me to the point of not driving my car anymore. The surge is most noticeable around 3,000 RPMs or so and also makes a strange "choking/suging" exhaust sound. Also, the idle is rougher than usual and even the exhaust fumes smell is worse than ever.

I checked all the plugs and connections and found nothing. I still will double check everything in the morning, but I'm running out of ideas. My other concern was if it was a chance that one of my valve springs was broken. I did break a valve spring a few months ago, but when my valve spring broke before, I had engine noise unlike this time I do not hear any "clanking" sounds coming from the engine.
Old 01-04-2006, 10:12 AM
Launching!

Ttt ...
Old 01-04-2006, 10:40 AM
TECH Junkie

U may start checking all your major sensors that have to do with A/F, Could be a number of things causing your car to run so rich its choking itself. MAF, IAC, Temp sensor in Lid, Engine coolant senors, O2's.
Old 01-04-2006, 11:11 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Im guessing the MAF, my car would surge, buck, smoke, spit sputter etc, when the plug to my MAF was screwed. Try that first. Is the car throwing any codes? Doesnt sound like a broke valve spring, you would be hearing a ticking noise most likely if it was. Are you running a K&N? Ive read where the oil off the filters will cover the sensors in the MAF, causing them to give faulty readings.
Old 01-04-2006, 12:24 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Z'mnypit
Im guessing the MAF, my car would surge, buck, smoke, spit sputter etc, when the plug to my MAF was screwed. Try that first. Is the car throwing any codes? Doesnt sound like a broke valve spring, you would be hearing a ticking noise most likely if it was. Are you running a K&N? Ive read where the oil off the filters will cover the sensors in the MAF, causing them to give faulty readings.
What exactly do I check in the MAF?? I am running a K&N filter.
Old 01-04-2006, 01:49 PM
10 Second Club

Inside the MAF there are 3 little resistor looking things. If they look dirty youu can take some rubbing alcohol and Qtips & gently clean them. Check the plug, maybe start the car let it start surging & etc, then try moving the plug around to see if anything changes. Just a couple of things to check first. Is the SES light on?
Old 01-04-2006, 03:49 PM
Launching!

No, the SES light isn't on. I'll try to clean the MAF to see what happens. But man, the exhaust fumes are worse than ever. I had my car running on idle for like 5 minutes while I was looking under the hood, and I got a terrible head ache because of the fumes. It was never this bad before....
Old 01-04-2006, 04:41 PM
10 Second Club

Then it sounds like a MAF problem, or stupid question but has the car been tuned? I also had a buddys car that used to so the same thing, the main coil pack harness on the drivers side was messed up, so he was getting no spark on that side. The car smelt like straight gas. Ive also read where an A/F went bad resulting in the same problems. DO you have one of those?
Old 01-04-2006, 05:23 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Z'mnypit
Then it sounds like a MAF problem, or stupid question but has the car been tuned? I also had a buddys car that used to so the same thing, the main coil pack harness on the drivers side was messed up, so he was getting no spark on that side. The car smelt like straight gas. Ive also read where an A/F went bad resulting in the same problems. DO you have one of those?
Yeah, the car is tuned. This problem just started about a week ago, and I've had my cam installed about 3 months now or so.

I also have big time loss of power......