Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Kooks and QTP dillemna....

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2006, 12:05 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Kooks and QTP dillemna....

I know this has been beaten to death and I have searched these forums ever since I signed on years ago. I'm have money to spend on race headers and a catted y now but am still undecided. It basically boils down to clearance for me. I've seen some pics of good Kooks clearance and shitty QTP clearance and heard all the bad hype about the QTP y-pipe. I've also seen the flange that came on a set of Kooks also and read up on that. QTP has dropped the price and are cheaper than Kooks with HVMC and also has the Flowmaster merge so I've really considered them. The finish looks a bit better also. Before the price lowered on QTP's, I was Kooks all the way. Can anyone really say for a fact that they have experience with both or show some good pics so I can make my choice? Maybe some sponsors could push me in a direction? I don't want to drop all this cash just for my car to high center somewhere and get all fucked up. My TA is lowered on ground controls so there is some adjustability and I'm going to be on 275/35 18's soon but I still like to be low though. I really don't want to go through all the hassle for a custom y to be fabbed up either.

One last question, do Kooks and QTP headers and y come with the necessary band clamps? I know I'll need extensions, bolts, and gaskets. Thanks in advance guys.
Old 01-04-2006, 12:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

I was in the same dilema as you, and chose kooks, I think they are both great products. I have the 1 7/8" headers and y pipe and the y pipe did come with all the band clamps. I am happy with quality of the kooks

Last edited by SMDLS1; 01-04-2006 at 12:19 PM.
Old 01-04-2006, 12:40 PM
11 Second Club

Kooks and QTP stainless steel headers look exactly the same except for the little name tag. I thought QTP's y-pipe was stainless and they offer the race merge collector. I have kooks and wish they offered a stainless Y-pipe.
Old 01-04-2006, 12:46 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm pretty sure that QTP's y is not stainless but thought that the Kook's y was?
Old 01-04-2006, 12:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

SLP's y-pipe is stainless (400 series)... but i would not suggest buying their headers.

Dynatech's Supermaxx 304 system has a stainless y-pipe

Stainlessworks has stainless y-pipes for their headers (2.5 inch)

As far as I know... thats it, Kooks and QTP do not (normally) make stainless y-pipes.

And now that QTP has the **high velocity merge collector** at their regular price... I lean towards them...
Old 01-04-2006, 01:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

if your worried about clearence then i would say kooks. i know the QTP with the HVMC are very tempting with the new low price, but if it was ME i wouldnt mind suffering some performance for fitment!
Old 01-04-2006, 02:15 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by SilverStreak1830
if your worried about clearence then i would say kooks. i know the QTP with the HVMC are very tempting with the new low price, but if it was ME i wouldnt mind suffering some performance for fitment!

Yeah but, is the fitment of the Y's really that much different? I know the Kooks y is squished a little bit. If I could find out the difference between the lowest point of the y on each manufacturers pipe and where they are at it would be great. I have emailed QTP about their y fitment with no reply.
Old 01-04-2006, 02:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

QTP y-pipe does hang a little low, but you can spend some time on it and it will get better, still not as good as Kooks.
Old 01-04-2006, 03:03 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry we where closed last week and trying to get back on track with all the emails and orders. Give us a call and we can answer all your questions.
Old 01-04-2006, 03:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Kooks are stainless. I've installed then on two '02 WS6's, and was very pleased with how tightly they tuck up against the engine/tranny. Also, I lost zero ground clearance. They are well-made (fit well, excellent, slag-free welds), and provide good performance gains. I dynoed my '02 WS6 with just Kooks/Magnaflow cat-back, Jet Stage II programmable PCM, SLP lid, and underdrive crank pulley, and my best of 3 pulls was 350 RWHP/388 RWTQ.

I have never heard anything bad about QTP, but I can't speak for them, as I have no 1st-hand experience with them. Everyone I've talked to says they are a quality product.
Old 01-04-2006, 03:57 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SilverStreak1830
Clearance? Kooks? That's so freakin' subjective. QTP LT's have incredible clearance, fit, finish and performance. Price reduction considered, they bitchslap KOOKs. (That's my 2 cents.)
Price aside, both headers kick ***.

Last edited by SouthFL.02.SS; 01-04-2006 at 04:09 PM.
Old 01-04-2006, 04:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SouthFL.02.SS
Clearance? Kooks? That's so freakin' subjective. QTP LT's have incredible clearance, fit, finish and performance. Price reduction considered, they bitchslap KOOKs. (That's my 2 cents.)
Price aside, both headers kick ***.
im going by the cars i have seen, worked on, and what i have. i have qtp headers and i spent hours tweakin the Y setup and still have some clearence issues. i've spent less time installing a kooks setup and it tucked up much nicer with half the effort. i aint saying qtp sucks, im just saying i have had better fitment results with kooks setup. if i had to do it again and both systems were the exact same price. i'd go with kooks. thats just my opinion!

Jon
Old 01-04-2006, 04:36 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

^ So, you're talking about Y-pipes then? Or the LT's themselves? I'm not talking about Y-pipes.
BTW, sorry if I came off a little strong.
Old 01-04-2006, 04:42 PM
TECH Resident

I helped a friend install kooks on a 98 SS all I can say is unfreakingbelievable they sound nice added hp by means of butt dyno and they sit nice in the engine bay. As far as I know he hasn't scraped his exhaust. only his sphon torque arm.
Old 01-04-2006, 04:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SouthFL.02.SS
^ So, you're talking about Y-pipes then? Or the LT's themselves? I'm not talking about Y-pipes.
BTW, sorry if I came off a little strong.
What y-pipe do you have on yours?
Old 01-04-2006, 05:02 PM
Staging Lane

I had the same question. Finally went with Supermaxx. All stainless headers and catted ypipe, came with everything including O2 extensions and I can't image the fit and clearance could be any better. They were $1320 delivered.
Old 01-04-2006, 05:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

These headers seem very similar. Could the Kooks Y pipe fit on the QTP headers?
Old 01-04-2006, 05:34 PM
Staging Lane

I just installed Kooks with the catted y last weekend and the y pipe fit great. It gave more ground clearance then the stock y did and doesnt bang either. Only problem I had was I had to make a custom bracket to extend the bracket on the y pipe so it could connect, which was no big deal considering how well it fit together and cleared everything.
Old 01-04-2006, 05:50 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Louie83
What y-pipe do you have on yours?
No Y-pipe (I don't have an Fbod right now).
I had the dual cutout ORY from QTP. It is tedious to install, as mentioned already, but well worth the flow of the 4" Flowmaster Scavenger Merge collector. Even with the huge dual QTECs I had better clearance than I did with my old X-pipe, and better clearance than my old SLP LT/ Y-pipe.

The QTP HVMC's and the ORY are putting out 480rwhp right now on my old setup. Only 10rwhp are lost to the muffler, so the Y-pipe kicks ***.
Old 01-04-2006, 05:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

yes i was talking strickly Y pipes, and np, you didnt come off to strong, just a simple misunderstanding. the headers to me are the exact same! between QTP and kooks it really just comes down to the Y's you get wtih each setup. that is why i was saying i would pick kooks if i had to do it again, b/c i like there Y fitment better.

Jon