Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how can i be emissions legal with an ORY and no cats

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2006, 03:28 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question how can i be emissions legal with an ORY and no cats

whats up....right now i have a stock set up on my camaro and im thinking of buying MAC mids with an ORY from my buddy in the spring, now my question since ive heard some ideas and im not understanding them all well is what should i do or could do to eliminate the SES light on the dash and make it emissions legal. Here in illinois, i dont know about other states, they plug in the OBD2 under the dash and get the read outs through there.......what are some ideas???? ive heard of O2 sims, or tunes, but how do those work? some one told me the tune eliminates the code all together in the PCM but wouldnt they know that when then test the car???
Old 01-04-2006, 03:34 PM
Banned

Bribe the inspector....
Old 01-04-2006, 03:40 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1. Find someone with HPTuners that has a license for your year F-body ('01 I'm assuming)
2. Tell them to pull your tune, go to the DTCs portion, and set the emissions codes to "SES Enable, No Error Reported" (I'm pretty sure that is right, someone please correct me if I'm wrong).
3. Pay them $20, take them out to lunch, buy them a beer, whatever.

Done properly, everything will report "ready" on the first start of the car with the new tune, no SES lights, nothing.
Old 01-04-2006, 05:08 PM
10 Second Club

Have your car tuned
Call Outlaw Motorsports(sponsor) ------->
Ask For Tony tell him Brian sent you.
Old 01-04-2006, 09:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Andy, listen to these guys...very wise advice. I'm going through Tony for my tuning, as is Rob, and everything he does is top notch. He's still going to have Mike doing his tuning, who is a damn good tuner. Listen to SgtB too, I've had the pleasure of dealing with him a few times and he's awesome. I would recommend those midlengths. If you want to kick some Mobscene *** this spring and summer, and if you ever want to be cammed and stalled, you'll need them. Plus, you already know how your car would sound with them. Talk to you later, man.
Old 01-04-2006, 09:32 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Technically you can't be legal. Tuning is key. If you have a visual you are SOL though. Unless you want to weld a shell of a cat on your ORY. I hear it works great.
Old 01-04-2006, 09:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Be ready for a warm foul taste in your mouth...

j/k

Out of all the things listed most sniffers you'll still fail maybe a good tune will help you slide but by the book you never will pass. Ask around someone in your area will be able to help best.
Old 01-04-2006, 10:14 PM
12 Second Club

As long as they don't do a visual inspection and just plug in the scanner a tune will be what you need as stated already.
Old 01-04-2006, 11:45 PM
10 Second Club

IL is a plug and scan state.....
he will be fine with some good tuning

8banger thanks for the compliment

yes Tony is a great guy and has a great tuner...I HIGHLY recommend the new shop.

personally, if I was you I would get some long tubes over midlengths as they flow better and as 8banger said if you go stalled and cammed later you will want all the exhaust flow you can get.

if you have anymore questions let me know.
Old 01-05-2006, 02:54 AM
Teching In

hey man thanx, yeah im listening to 8banger, he's a good friend, ill try to listen as much as i can from him .....only reason why i was thinking mid lengths is cause i could get them and the ORY for a good deal. hey i do have a q.......do you need 02 extensions? sounds stupid, but tryin to learn as much as i can, gota start sumplace.
Old 01-05-2006, 05:47 AM
TECH Addict

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1TA01
whats up....right now i have a stock set up on my camaro and im thinking of buying MAC mids with an ORY from my buddy in the spring, now my question since ive heard some ideas and im not understanding them all well is what should i do or could do to eliminate the SES light on the dash and make it emissions legal. Here in illinois, i dont know about other states, they plug in the OBD2 under the dash and get the read outs through there.......what are some ideas???? ive heard of O2 sims, or tunes, but how do those work? some one told me the tune eliminates the code all together in the PCM but wouldnt they know that when then test the car???
Without CATS you will NEVER be emmissions legal. All you can do is decive and try and hide the fact that your car is not legal. Many have done this, but remember law can, do and WILL change.

Without cats you will not pass a visual or a sniffer test no matter what else you do.
Old 01-05-2006, 09:30 AM
10 Second Club

hey man thanx, yeah im listening to 8banger, he's a good friend, ill try to listen as much as i can from him .....only reason why i was thinking mid lengths is cause i could get them and the ORY for a good deal. hey i do have a q.......do you need 02 extensions? sounds stupid, but tryin to learn as much as i can, gota start sumplace.
I understand that you were getting a good deal but in the long run of you want to make any kind of real power you will need long tube headers.

Yes you will need O2 extensions because the location of the O2 sensor on LT's is located further away...so in order to make the wires connect you need extensions....our sponsors sell them at good prices.

Originally Posted by 300bhp/ton
Without CATS you will NEVER be emmissions legal. All you can do is decive and try and hide the fact that your car is not legal. Many have done this, but remember law can, do and WILL change.

Without cats you will not pass a visual or a sniffer test no matter what else you do.
You are correct sir...but the state he lives in does not do a visual inspection or a sniffer on 96 and newer vehicles...its just plug and test....

How do I know this....oh because I passed with LT's, ORY, big cam and was spitting out raw fuel....but the PCM was not setting any DTC's so I passed.
Old 01-05-2006, 08:57 PM
Launching!

how about in ct?
Old 01-05-2006, 09:49 PM
Teching In

how is it in PA??
Old 01-05-2006, 09:52 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by honkers101
how is it in PA??

As far as I know it's just a plug in test. No visual. Of course if you "know a guy" there is never a visual test
Old 01-05-2006, 11:09 PM
10 Second Club

you should check your states laws...there should be a EPA website for each of your states somewhere.
Old 01-06-2006, 12:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

If nothing else, man, learn from my mistakes...haha. I do not regret longtubes for one minute. If you got an ORY, your car would still be quieter than mine, and with high flow cats, it would be a little quieter and smoother. Either way you need to open up your car's breathing ability.
Old 01-06-2006, 07:56 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 8banger
If nothing else, man, learn from my mistakes...haha. I do not regret longtubes for one minute. If you got an ORY, your car would still be quieter than mine, and with high flow cats, it would be a little quieter and smoother. Either way you need to open up your car's breathing ability.
He is correct....the better the car breathes the more power it will make....it doesn't matter if we are talking intake air or exhaust....the more air you can pump in and out the more power you will make.
Old 01-06-2006, 08:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'm telling him to just pick up some longtubes and a catted Y. I know how he is in terms of preferences, and he wants his car quieter than mine. I figured the catted Y, with high flow cats, would be a bit quieter, smoother, and more refined, so it might be a better choice. Plus, it would still make better power than the Mid's. With a cheater cam, and tight converter, this car will be nice and stealthy.
Old 01-06-2006, 09:08 AM
Launching!

IL is a plug and scan state.....
he will be fine with some good tuning
I can vouch for that. When i went to get my emissions test they just did the plug in scanner and that was it. I was there for like 15 minutes and thats it! You dont have to worry about the sniffer test in illinois unless you have an older car (cannot remember the exact year)