Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Upgrading From Stock Headlights/Foglights

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2006, 01:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Upgrading From Stock Headlights/Foglights

My car is going to be fixed in a couple of days, so I'm going to do a couple of cheap mods. First I'm going to fix my right blinker, by replacing one of the flashers, not the blinker flasher but the hazard one that somehow trips the blinker into lighting up but not blinking on the right side of the car.

Since I'm doing this I figured I would spend some money and replace my headlight/fog light bulbs, because my headlights aren't very bright, and one of my foglights is burnt out. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on a bulb to use, that isn't too expensive? I just want a nice clean, white light, it doesn't have to be Xenon bright but I want something you can tell is not stock. Also, how hard is it to get to the foglights? I figure you just take off the black thing underneath the car and can get to them about the same way you can get to your blinker sockets. I want to match the low beams, I'm not doing high beams since I rarley use them, to the foglights, no mismatching the bulbs to look different.
Old 01-05-2006, 01:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

I replaced my low/ high/ fog lights with street glows products. The low beams are bright white as the high beams have a slight bluish white tint. The fog lights are also a bright white. The bulbs arent cheap but they work very well.
The fog lights are accessed through the plastic panels under the car, take out the screws pull the panel down. The fog lights come out by turning them, the angel you have to go at is awkward unless you are under the car.
Old 01-05-2006, 04:53 PM
Teching In

where can u purchase streetglow bulbs?
Old 01-05-2006, 06:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm going to have to look into those, and when I do the change I'm going to jack the front up a little bit so I can have easy access at all my lights. Once my car is back Saturday I plan on ordering something.
Old 01-05-2006, 11:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Here is the link to the bulbs. https://www.streetglow.com/cgi-local...=/page=hid.htm to make it easier, You will need the H9005 (high beams), H9006( low Beams) thef og lights are 894's. Thats for LS1.
For the LT1's the low beams are H4351, High beams are H 4352, the fogs are 885's
Old 01-05-2006, 11:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

all the ones for LT1's are sealed beam, there isnt much of a choice of replacement unless you go with stock hallogen bulbs
Old 01-06-2006, 07:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

for 93-97 its easy. i went with silverstars. they are an awesome light i highly recomend them. i think for low beams and fogs you will spend maybe 65ish? i forget though. to get them to work in ur headlights its easy. follow these steps

1. take headlights out of car, with a flat head screwdriver pry the old light bulg off the house, be careful but itll prolly end up crackin but its ok to crack the old bulb, since its garbage. just make sure u dont ruin the housing
2. take ur new light bulb put a lil bead of rtv sealent around the outside, and place light into/on housing.
3. use the rtv sealant one more time and make another bead where the light and housing fit, just so its water proof
4. ur done, let dry and hook back up to car, its that easy

foglights ur on ur own, i have no idea
Old 01-06-2006, 09:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Better yet, since doing the silverstar mod causes the bulbs to fail within 6 months, get Eurolights.com's headlight conversion; much better mod than having to silicone your bulbs in every single time. I used to do that, but damn those bulbs would fail in no time, I was buying them every 5 months, and I never once got any silicone on the bulb, never touched the bulb with my bare hands, nothing. The eurolights.com conversion you can just "plug" the bulb into the socket of the headlight and it locks it in place, you can use any 9006 bulb. http://eurolamps.com/eurolamps/camaro_headlights.htm
Old 01-07-2006, 01:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for the info guys, I think I'm going to buy that kit, and run there Xenon bulbs, I've always liked the Xenon lights although there blue, because they do give off great light, plus people know a cool car is coming with those headlights, or at least I notice them and pay attention to whos coming .
Old 01-07-2006, 10:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I want to run the low beam kit, but what would I run for foglights? Just Xenon fog lights, I want them too match, and I never turn my foglights on because one has been burnt out since I've had it.

Edit: Appologies for the double post.
Old 01-07-2006, 10:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

i never had problems with my silverstars, maybe u were doin something wrong?
Old 01-07-2006, 11:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hmm, not sure, I never touched the bulbs with my fingers, the bulb never touched the silicone, and the silicone was 100% around it so no problems with fogging up or moisture, but still they'd only last about 6 months for me. The eurolights.com conversion, imo, is a lot better way to go, and the price isn't bad either. 90 for a set, and then being able to always just plug a bulb in and not have to worry about siliconing to me is a sweet deal.
Old 01-08-2006, 02:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Renegade
I want to run the low beam kit, but what would I run for foglights? Just Xenon fog lights, I want them too match, and I never turn my foglights on because one has been burnt out since I've had it.

Edit: Appologies for the double post.
The Xenon Fog lights will match the head lights. They are a huge difference.
Old 01-08-2006, 11:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by blown 346
The Xenon Fog lights will match the head lights. They are a huge difference.
Thanks, I plan on ordering those too. I will have them ordered sometime this week, and will get some pics up once the install is complete .
Old 01-11-2006, 12:30 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was running the silverstars sealed beam for the headlights, and silverstars in the foglights. Let just say I was always very careful and the fog lights just dont last. They are 20 a pop, so I've sprung already around 80 bucks to keep them going. There was a lighting improvement but nothing amazing. I just did an sealed beam to H4 conversion with hella equipment and couldnt be happier with the look and the lighting. It is by far the best option in lighting I've done thus far. They can be found here. http://www.rallylights.com/hella/165mm_lo.asp . I went with the 100/80 watt hella premiums. I'll post pics asap.

-Brian

Quick Reply: Upgrading From Stock Headlights/Foglights