Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

sold 04 gto m6, looking for ss or z, need advice

Old 01-05-2006, 01:39 PM
gs1
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sold 04 gto m6, looking for ss or z, need advice

Like I said I sold my 04 gto m6 loved the car but wanted to mod and thought I would lose to much money when I went to sell. To make a long story short I want to buy a 98-99 ss or z with or without mods. I loved my 6 speed but I defenitly want to go with a power adder of some type, not sure just yet on what type. My question is should I be looking for an Auto or stay with the 6speed. I want to take it to the track a few times and do some street racing.
But want a streetable car. Can you guy's guide me in the right direction.
I know this type of thing has been posted many times sorry about that.
Old 01-05-2006, 01:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

You could have always just put that gto on the bottle, made some good power, and if you wanted to sell, take it off

The good ole auto vs manual argument. If you want to make a strip only car, and run quick speeds, not have to get a new rearend as fast, go auto. If you loved driving the manual, I don't see why you would go away from that. IMO manuals are fun to drive, and even if I'm slower at the track, I love the challenge of driver skill on the track as opposed to sit down and hang on.

As far as streetable, with tuning, many things can be streetable. Just remember the bigger cam you get the more surging/bucking you will have on an auto. Manuals can usually have a bigger cam that will be considered more 'streetable'.

In the end, its user preference, if you like what you had, I dont see the reason to change. And streetable has a different definition to different people really. In the end its what you have to put up with to drive, not what others are willing to put up with.

Good luck in your choice, both will make you happy im sure.
Old 01-05-2006, 03:31 PM
gs1
Teching In

Thanks for the advice I will keep looking for a lower mileage ss or 98-99 M6.
They seam to be hard to find with low miles for a decent price. Iwould like to stay under 11k and under 60k miles. There seams to be plenty of a4's that fit in this criteria but I don't know if I can take the heat from my friends on buying an auto.

Thanks Again
Garry
Old 01-05-2006, 06:38 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,466 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Zymosis
You could have always just put that gto on the bottle, made some good power, and if you wanted to sell, take it off

The good ole auto vs manual argument. If you want to make a strip only car, and run quick speeds, not have to get a new rearend as fast, go auto. If you loved driving the manual, I don't see why you would go away from that. IMO manuals are fun to drive, and even if I'm slower at the track, I love the challenge of driver skill on the track as opposed to sit down and hang on.

As far as streetable, with tuning, many things can be streetable. Just remember the bigger cam you get the more surging/bucking you will have on an auto. Manuals can usually have a bigger cam that will be considered more 'streetable'.

In the end, its user preference, if you like what you had, I dont see the reason to change. And streetable has a different definition to different people really. In the end its what you have to put up with to drive, not what others are willing to put up with.

Good luck in your choice, both will make you happy im sure.
Great reply. I agree, and couldn't have said it any better myself.
Old 01-05-2006, 08:13 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by gs1
Thanks for the advice I will keep looking for a lower mileage ss or 98-99 M6.
They seam to be hard to find with low miles for a decent price. Iwould like to stay under 11k and under 60k miles. There seams to be plenty of a4's that fit in this criteria but I don't know if I can take the heat from my friends on buying an auto.

Thanks Again
Garry
The auto will be quicker...
Old 01-05-2006, 08:18 PM
TECH Resident

Is there a reason why your looking only for 98-99?
Old 01-05-2006, 08:28 PM
gs1
Teching In

Just wanted to keep cost below 11k before the mods being,thats why I was looking for a 98-99. I also was wonder about the auto's with over drive should I avoid those or is that really not a big issue. I am not worried about the gas mileage.

PS. I miss having my gto and need something to fill the need for speed.

Thanks for the help.
Old 01-05-2006, 08:41 PM
Shirley Temple Drinker

Don't get a auto, not only will your friends make fun of you, and most people that see your car, you'll hate it. You think you can live with it, but you wont like it. Im tellin ya.

Keep looking, great deals are out their. Might have to budge on those miles though, id say look more for well taken care of, not low miles....
Old 01-05-2006, 08:47 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by gs1
I also was wonder about the auto's with over drive should I avoid those or is that really not a big issue.
they all come stock with OD, unless you found a modded one with say a TH400/350 those are 3-speeds, but much more durable

if your gonna be doing a lot of racing and want to be consistent, get a stalled auto, it may not be "fun" but i have a blast in mine, and the stall is not even in yet
Old 01-05-2006, 08:51 PM
gs1
Teching In

Spuds sounds like sound advice I will keep looking. If you know of any keep me in mind.

Thanks
By the way nice ride.
Old 01-05-2006, 09:07 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by Sgt. Spuds
Don't get a auto, not only will your friends make fun of you, and most people that see your car
Who cares what those people would say. Joking is joking, and it's all in good fun. But clearly they would be ignorant fools if they actually were serious about making fun of a car just because it's an auto. Thankfully most of them will grow out of such practices as they age some and mature.

However, to the original poster, if an M6 is what YOU really want, than that's what you should get. If not, then don't. Don't worry about what 'others' say about the car, YOU will be the one driving it, living with it, and paying for it....not 'them'.
Old 01-06-2006, 12:11 AM
Board Certified Idiot

ya if ppl are like tha acting towards you for an auto.. i say screw them. I just bought My 00 z28 which is an Auto and i love it. And if you Put a Stall on your car i dont think ppl will Be laughing at you then. Will be the other way around
Old 01-06-2006, 12:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

i personally couldnt stand driving an auto. its my toy car though and i love driving a manual. if youre gonna buy something and are not pressured, get what you want. thats my view, and if you want an auto, get one, but if you want a 6spd, get one, or youll be kicking yourself in the *** for it because its not exactly what you want.
Old 01-06-2006, 08:37 AM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by gs1
Thanks for the advice I will keep looking for a lower mileage ss or 98-99 M6. They seam to be hard to find with low miles for a decent price. Iwould like to stay under 11k and under 60k miles. There seams to be plenty of a4's that fit in this criteria but I don't know if I can take the heat from my friends on buying an auto.
I originally wanted an M6, too, but caved in and bought an A4 for precisely the reason you stated - I couldn't find anything good at a decent price. Now, with a small converter, tuning, and a shift kit, I am so pleased with how my A4 works that I don't know that I'd give it up for an M6. If you have an A4 and get it working right, give your friends a ride, and they will quiet down.
Old 01-06-2006, 03:58 PM
Shirley Temple Drinker

No offince, but ive riddin in stalled kitted auto's, and yea, they hit hard, and run strong, but its not going to change my mind

If you want a stick-get it
If you want a auto-get it
Old 01-06-2006, 04:01 PM
Shirley Temple Drinker

Like a drop top?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1998-...QQcmdZViewItem

You could also prolly steal this ugly peice of work

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2000-...ayphotohosting

its been on ebay a few times, and never went...
Old 01-06-2006, 05:25 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Talking

If you want a stick-get it
If you want a auto-get it
Finally, we agree on something transmission related.
Old 01-06-2006, 05:37 PM
Shirley Temple Drinker

BTW, I love it when a4 guys use this smilie hehe
Old 01-06-2006, 06:31 PM
11 Second Club

BTW, I love it when a4 guys use this smilie hehe
never heard of a manual valve-body
Old 01-06-2006, 06:35 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't get a auto, not only will your friends make fun of you, and most people that see your car, you'll hate it. You think you can live with it, but you wont like it. Im tellin ya.

Keep looking, great deals are out their. Might have to budge on those miles though, id say look more for well taken care of, not low miles....
You sound really intelligent.

Search this Thread