New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

should i do this??

Old 01-05-2006, 03:41 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default should i do this??

i have a 98 formula (ls1). it has 113,000 miles on it and it is an auto...i am getting exhuast, cam, and lid soon and was thinking about getting headers later and i was just wondering if anyone thinks i am just wasting money on this because it has a lot of miles and it is an auto.

thanks for the help
Old 01-05-2006, 04:34 PM
Shirley Temple Drinker

No problem at all. My cars 13X,XXX miles, has headers, and a few other small mods. I am gonna really lay into the car soon though

NOTHING wrong with modding a old car. Just think about it. Dont put new heads on the motor without new rings and anyother wear parts, you don't want to add compression to something that wont hold it. Modding your cars gonna be just like replacing old parts with new OEM parts, just making it new again. SFC's, and new bushings and all that good stuff will really tighten the car up and make it feel like a new one...

Oh yea, just a BTW, you dont need to tell us that the 98 is a ls1 lol
Old 01-05-2006, 04:36 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,462 Likes on 1,054 Posts

Originally Posted by J_fisch98
i was just wondering if anyone thinks i am just wasting money on this because......it is an auto.

Perhaps you are somewhat new to the automotive hobby, so allow me to pass along some information incase you were unaware. An F-body being an auto does not in any way make it inferior or not worth modding. I'd suggest doing some research in the auto trans section to learn about higher stall torque converters, how they help you, and how to pick one that's best for your needs & setup. There is TONS of information on that topic if you do a search so I'll refrain from going into details on it here......

Now, if you are the type that prefers a manual transmission car above all else, then yes you'd probably be best off getting what you really want. But if all that concerns you is overall performance regardless of trans type, then there is absolutely nothing wrong or "wasteful" about modding an auto. You would be shocked at how quick an auto LS1 can run with very little mods, just by picking the right TC.

As for your mileage, the actual mileage isn't as relevant as the care the motor has received. If it's running strong, and been properly maintained, then 113K miles might not be any big deal at all. If you are concerned about the health of the motor though, you may want to run a simple test such as having an oil analysis done, and for further piece of mind you could have a compression test and leakdown test performed. That should give you a good general picture of the internal condition of the motor.

Last edited by RPM WS6; 01-05-2006 at 05:14 PM.
Old 01-05-2006, 06:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

I just got a 99 t/a a4 with 113k about 2-3 months ago. I already have installed full bolt ons and am going to get a stall very soon. I'm slightly worried about the stall on my "experienced" tranny, but I'm gonna give it a shot.

I would be a little leary of putting a cam or heads on my motor with all the miles though (even though it was very well maintained)...I may just wait a year or two and get a new short block and add a cam / heads at that time.

good luck and welcome to the board
Old 01-07-2006, 01:12 PM
That's what she said...

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just put a 232/234 .600" camshaft in mine with 112k miles. Runs like a scalded *** ape

It does have NEW lifters however. I thought mine were crapped out before i ever decided on a cam swap, so i yanked the heads and replaced them. It's a bitch, but i'm glad i did it. Turned out to be nothing wrong with them

I have a smooth 3k in my piggy bank for when the stock shortblock dies on me though (kinda hope it's soon ). Can't wait for a forged 347 and maby a 200 shot

Search this Thread