Sponsored by:

Rocker arm bolt hole, stripped...HELP

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2006, 07:09 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rocker arm bolt hole, stripped...HELP

My Problem:

I am replacing the valve springs on my car and a friend of mine stripped out the rocker arm bolt hole. The bolt is out and we tried to re-tap it with an 8mm but its too stripped. In the bolt hole the lower part of the hole is totally stripped, the top half is not(if that makes any sense).

My Question:

What can I do to fix this? Go to a 10mm tap? I am without a car and am clueless. Any help is much appreciated.
Old 01-05-2006, 07:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Hopefully the hole is accessable. You need to get a heli-coil kit for it, Autozone will have it. You drill out the hole to the required size, thread it for the heli-coil and then install the heli-coil in the hole and break off the tang. If the hole is open on the bottom like some ported heads, you need to be carefull breaking off the tang so it doesn't go in the motor.

The kit will have several heli-coils, if you have never done one practice on some other piece of scrap first so you understand how to do the installation.

You also need to figure out how it happened, in case you have a problem with your installation methods so it doesn't happen again. Things like correct torque value, the rocker on the base circle when you tighten the rocker, etc.

Good luck.
Old 01-05-2006, 10:13 PM
Teching In

Thanks so much for your help. I am very grateful!
Old 01-06-2006, 11:24 AM
10 Second Club

yep, had this happen last time I put on the heads. got a heli-coil kit at NAPA. my advice is to take the head back off the car. drilling out the hole will get shavings all over the place
Old 01-06-2006, 04:03 PM
Teching In

Yeah your right, lol. I also was told to have a local machine shop do it instead of me attemptimg to drill the hole. SO I am gonna remove the head and take it there and have it done, I just cant afford any more screw ups. lol. Thanks again for the help guys.
Old 01-06-2006, 04:05 PM
11 Second Club

HELICOIL is really easy, if you can drill a hole straight, you can do it.
Old 01-06-2006, 05:39 PM
10 Second Club

Yeah, make sure you drill it streight and get the tap started streight. The rest is down hill. I just bought a 10mm helicoil kit at napa and it costed about 45 bucks. And that was with out a drill bit.

You have to have the exact size drill bit it calls for. For the tap size that is.

You can do it.
Old 01-07-2006, 12:11 PM
10 Second Club

its pretty damn easy. drilling the hole straight isn't a problem, because the hole is already there, you're just making it bigger. it would be really hard to screw up

Quick Reply: Rocker arm bolt hole, stripped...HELP