New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would you recommend this 2000 Trans-Am?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2006, 08:38 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Would you recommend this 2000 Trans-Am?

Hey guys, I'm new to LS1tech but I've heard good things about this forums, so I decided to try you guys out (If this is in the wrong forum, please move it). Well, I have a question. I just sold my 11sec Mitsubishi Eclipse last week and I been looking for a new car. I want something decently fast stock becuase I don't really wanna get into performance mods anytime soon becuase I want to get a warrenty. Also I want a car with decent reliablilty. Once you've had a fast eclipse, you realize how important the reliablity of a car really is. I drove my car a total of 5-6 months and I have it about 18 months. Well anyways, I've been looking around at Srt-4's, SS Camaros/Transam WS6's, WRX's, and cars like that. Well in my looking, I found this car out in San Diego. What do you guys think about it. I was originally interested in a WS6 but I thought this was nice.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...dist=78#vdptop

The mileage is the thing that really gets me. I called the dealership and they said that there was only one owner, the owner was an old man and he got all the matinence and everything done at that dealership. Plus when he initially purchased the car, it was at this dealership. I asked them, if I were to come down, could they provide a carfax, and they said yeah. Also I always ask them whey the car was traded in, and they told me the guy actually traded it in for a C6 Corvette Z06. So, sounds pretty cool but I'm just not sure.
Old 01-05-2006, 08:57 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Definetly an internal engine thread! Just busting *****...

Very nice car...I'm sure you'd be a lot happier with a T/A over your other choices listed, those cars dont even compare. I do think the price is a bit on the high side for a non WS6.
Old 01-05-2006, 09:07 PM
Teching In

even with the 34k miles you think its a high price? Wow. Well I live in california and all the WS6's out seem to be at least $18,000 or more. The car I actually want is a WS6 though, but I was thinking this might have been a really good deal that I shouldn't pass up on.... Maybe I was wrong.

(please move this thread to the correct forum... sorry)
Old 01-05-2006, 09:46 PM
7 Second Club

test drive it and check for modifications.... if it has mods you can bust their ***** and get a lower price
Old 01-06-2006, 12:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

you can always get a WS6 hood and some rims afterwards if you like this one enough. looks like a decent price, especially for cali. looks clean and nice, id say go for it if ya want it. i cant blame you, T/A's look killer in red.
Old 01-06-2006, 12:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

wow...i just noticed, that non hurst stock stick is really frickin tall. get yourself a shifter in that thing ASAP
Old 01-06-2006, 04:02 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it isn't too far of a drive, I'd say that it was worth checking out, the price seems decent considering its got low miles on it, as them to see the maintenance records (if the car was maintained at that dealer of course), drive it, and if you like it, get it
Old 01-06-2006, 05:27 PM
TECH Junkie

although that is a high price for here, a well maintained car can be worth the extra money. 34k miles is nothing. i have put 40k on my car over the last 2 yrs alone. take a test drive, get a compression test done(although not critical on a low mileage LS1), and inspect everything you can. if the tires are not brand new, id haggle on that. also see if there are any rock chips on the front, as that might help get the price down too. out of the cars u listed, id take a LS1 car over the rest.
Old 01-07-2006, 08:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Swang
wow...i just noticed, that non hurst stock stick is really frickin tall. get yourself a shifter in that thing ASAP

Yea i see that also! might accidently change the radio staion hitting 3rd or 5th lol
Old 01-07-2006, 08:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Get the SS, but all good fast cars and for the miles seem like a really good deal to me. Being that its at a dealer you can get 2 to 3 thousand dollars knocked off the price.
Old 01-09-2006, 03:14 AM
Staging Lane

I am sure that since it is a dealer you will have to pay tax, title, and license fees on top of the asking price. A lot of dealers will tell you that the vehicle was owned previously by the proverbial 'older man or woman' and that it was 'dealer maintained' to make the car sound better to potential buyers. But how can you really be sure? Dealers can be snakes and will do/say anything to make a sale. That would be the deal breaker for me. Any luck with finding one from a private party instead?