Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Header install question

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2006, 09:12 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Header install question

I want to install FLP Lt w/ off road ORY on my 99' SS Camaro. I am buying these used from an 01' Camaro. Do I have to install block off plates and o2 simms. I am not sure what I need for the install process. I do not have emmissions test where I live, and I have had my car tuned with the Diablo Hand held. I did not know weather I could tune it so I do not have to buy the simms. Please, help me with some suggestions. Thanks
Old 01-06-2006, 09:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Are the headers 'race' style headers, without emmision fittings? If they don't have a place for emissions (EGR and AIR) to bolt up to, then no you don't need block off plates. If they do, and you want to keep emissions, then you don't need block off plates. Other wise www.speedinc.com has some for you.

02 sims arent required, but if you are deleating the cats, you will throw a code, causing your SES light to come on. If you don't want that (no harm to your car at all, will still perform normally), then you can get 02 sims. Another option, get them tuned out (Usually around 40 bucks I beleive).

Just remember because they are long tubes, you also need o2 extensions, and you should be set.
Old 01-06-2006, 09:33 AM
TECH Resident

Since you have a 99 you will need the block off plates unless you take off the egr/air then you will not need them, just depends on if you gonna keep your egr or air on. Since you don't have emissions you can also take the cat's off and just skip the o2's all together and have it ls1edited to delete the codes.. Not sure if the Diablo will do that or not.
Old 01-06-2006, 09:34 AM
TECH Resident

^^^ beat me too it, I type to damn slow haha.
Old 01-06-2006, 10:51 AM
Teching In

Default Add

The headers are non egr. So for my 99' what do I have to do to make these work? And how much trouble is it? Thanks.
Old 01-06-2006, 12:24 PM
TECH Resident

you'll have to take the whole egr assem off thats just the case of 2 bolts I belive, also you'll have to find a cap or something to block where the egr hooks up to the ls1 air intake.and you'll have to take off the A.I.R system, Unless you want to block that line off since you can't hook it up to the headers, but since you can't use it I'd take it off and free some wieght
Old 01-06-2006, 01:13 PM
Teching In

Default Ok

Thanks for the info, but not sure how to do all that. Is there a thread that tells me how to do it?
Old 01-06-2006, 01:22 PM
TECH Resident

you can do a search for !egr !air or just place remove in from of the two. after you take the egr off there will be a hole on the air intake I've seen alot of people push a 35mm film canistar in the spot. The egr should be a breeze taking off but I'm not sure about the air because I kept my cats so i kept my air system, I'll try and look throgh my links and see if I can find something for you.
Old 01-08-2006, 03:18 PM
TECH Veteran

If you remove EGR you need to have it turned off in the computer as well or it will throw a code and your SES light will come on.