Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Quick question on Halo lights wiring

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2006, 11:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quick question on Halo lights wiring

I tried the search, it doesn't work, I tried google with limited success.

I am going to attempt to put my Halo lights in which arrived today. The thing I am wondering about the most is of course the wiring. I kinda figured out what wire powers what, meaning the foglights and the sidemarker lights.

I want to Halos to basically come on when the foglights are on because I have my fogs turned on all the time anyhow, so I am guessing it's safe just to wire them into the foglights, right?

Thing is, the foglights have a black and a red wire, the halos I got have a red and a white wire, so I am guessing I am just going to connect the red to the red wire and the white wire of the halos to the black one on the fogs, correct? Or should I mount the white wire of the halos to that ground screw next to the air box? Are the fogs hooked up to a wire flowing more current seeing how they are brighter than the parking lights, meaning, would I risk harming the halos by wiring them into the fogs?

Also about the splicing method, what's the best way to connect the wires of the halos to the foglight wires? What kind of splicing device should I get and where would I get it?

If anyone has any other comments or helpful suggestions I'd appreciate it!

Thanks!

Manny
Old 01-06-2006, 11:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Im going to aggree with you that red with red and white with black wires. The way I did mine was i used scissors then solidered the wires together. I don'ts see how you can harm the halos by connecting them to the fog light wires except that you may have to replace the light of the halos a bit sooner being that they will be on for a longer period of time then if you had them connected to the turn signal lights.
Old 01-06-2006, 11:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I wired mine into the DRL's. Red halo wire to Brown DRL wire. White to the cars frame/ground. They are on all the time.

I used T-Taps available at Radio Shack, etc to connect the wires. It is the easiset method and 100% effective. I recommend taping the T-Taps with electrical tape once installed for added protection and to clean up the looks.

There are several threads on here detailing how to wire them into the Fogs, some people even used seperate switches. What you are looking at doing sounds fine, and I think you can just go ahead and ground the white wire without splicing into the foglight.

Check out my install thread: https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearance-detailing/414220-halo-headlight-smoked-corner-install-w-pics.html
Old 01-07-2006, 12:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

it doesnt matter which ones you pick, as long as you conect one of the halos wires to the red wire from the foglights and the other to ground, the black foglight one works.
Old 01-07-2006, 12:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Hmm, if they are on with the fogs, then they'd only be on at night since the fogs only come on when the headlights are on. When wired to the fogs, I'd assume they also light up when I lock and unlock the car....that would be cool, wouldn't it?

I am gonna stop by radio shack and see if they have those T-Connector you were talking about. How do they work, do you have to cut any wire?

Thanks a bunch for all the replies so far.
Old 01-07-2006, 01:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Mine flash with the headlights when I lock/unlock the car, looks cool, will do the same with the fogs I believe(edit: actually not sure if the fog lights flash with the alarm?).

The T-Taps are just a matter of squeezing. On the halo strip the wire so it is exposed and place it in the T-Tap with the fog/DRL wire(no stripping necessary on this wire) and then use pliers to squeeze the hell out of the T-Tap so it cuts into the fog/DRL wire and clamps shut. I used superglue liberally as I did this to insure the T-Tap would stay closed while holdling it clamped with the pliers for a minute or two. Then secure with electrical tape.

Lastly, I just wanted to make mention that I wired mine into the DRL's so that I could later remove the photosensor on the auto-headlights and have the option of cruising/parking/whatever with just the halo/parking lights on at dusk/dawn.
Old 01-07-2006, 01:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

I noticed when looking at the halo wire that the insulation is a different material, so I am guessing I just strip half of that insulation off, so just that side of the wire where it's going to make contact, and tape off the end that comes exposed from the factory?

I am gonna leave me auto headlights enabled, don't really drive at dawn or dusk for that matter.
Old 01-07-2006, 05:50 AM
Launching!

Thumbs up

Wire them into there own switch. I have mine running straight off the battery. That way if your hanging out in a parking lot they can still be on. Just have to remember to turn them off.
Old 01-07-2006, 10:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by FloridaZ
Wire them into there own switch. I have mine running straight off the battery. That way if your hanging out in a parking lot they can still be on. Just have to remember to turn them off.

Hehe, are you kidding me? My limited skills make splicing a wire a big ordeal, how much more running a new ciruit, that's basically what I'd be doing.

So if you do wire them into the parking lights, they won't come in with the DTR's right? Problem is...which are the DTR's and which are the parking? Are the parking the side marker lights?

Manny
Old 01-07-2006, 10:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Daytime running lights are the inside bulb, if you hook them up to that, they will run when those are on. Thats why most of us who get halos, disable DRL's, so the halos and fogs will be on when we want them to be, not when the system turns them on because of lighting.
Old 01-07-2006, 01:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

I think I am getting the halos more for the looks of the headlights with the halos off than anything else. I am not a parking lot stand arounder that talks to other car guys much, so I am not gonna park with the halos on. To me it's enough if they come on with the fogs so it looks kinda cool when I unlock the car and lock the car. My car is cammed, so I like it to idel for a few mins before I go anywhere because otherwise it's a big pain to drive. So while it's sitting there ideling and the handbrake pulled, I can always flick my light switch to the first position and the halos and the fogs should come on which should make for a cool look while the car is loping away...hehe.

I was thinking about the grounding thing. Since the red and white wire from the halos are in that protective plastic hose, I can't really reach any good pre-existing grounding surfaces anywhere, so I guess it's better to just connect the white wire of the halos with the black one on the fogs. Because if I take the white wire out of the protective hose to mount i with the ground wire next to the airbox, then I defeat the purpose of the hose protecting it...same goes for extending the ground wire with some other wire, unless I go out and buy some mini wire loom or tape the whole wire up. Hmm...dunno, what seems to be the best solution to you guys?
Old 01-07-2006, 07:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You're overthinking this a bit. Just put the white wire to any metal part of the car body, I have an example in my thread above and it will be ground. I've had them on for months with no problem. A ground is a ground is a ground. The red wire is the one that you should focus on, wether you want it wired to the fogs, and independent switch or the DRL's.

IMO the easiset way to reach your stated goals of: "it's enough if they come on with the fogs so it looks kinda cool when I unlock the car and lock the car" is to actually use the DRL's. They are far easier to reach and splice/T-Tap into without a lift/no jacking, etc, and will flash on and off as you want with your locking/unlocking as well as being on whenever it is dark and you are idleing the car or turn the light switch to the middle notch as you would need to do to have use of your fog lights anyways. Just my .02
Old 01-07-2006, 07:14 PM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

I used the fogs to wire into. Disabled my automatic headlights and used the ground screws by the air lid. Works perfectly.
Old 01-07-2006, 08:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Easy just dont wire them
Old 01-08-2006, 03:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Well folks, the deed is done.

Got them installed, but had some trouble as expected! As far as the wiring goes, I did put them on the fogs, but those damn radio shack connectors where a pain to work with, so we ditched them and broke out the soldering iron and soldered it and then put electrical tape around it and put the protective plastic hose back on.

The real problem was getting them in....now I can do it in my sleep. The key is to set the adjustment screws in such a way that they bring the bracket closer to the actual headlight. Once that's done, they slide in much easier. Once mounted, you use the adjustment screws to draw the lights into position. It's important to keep an eye on the rubber seal where it meets the fender, that's where the cut is as well. I kept my finger on it to make sure it wouldn't get torn out of position as the light is drawn forward into the fender.

I had one major misshap though. Basically, the headlights are just held in by that straight bracket which is mounted to the car up top by a black screw, and then holds the light in place with a grey screw at the bottom of the bracket. Well...dummy me didn't test the screw first and I was just wrenching away while talking to my buddies. A piece of plastic got caught and cause the screw to cross thread....oops...it gets worse, after a while of wrenching I noticed that the headlight is still not snug against the bracket and that no matter how much I wrenched, the screw no longer made any progress. So yeah...the thread bushing got lose and it was spinning together with the screw in the headlight. It sill is that way now....and the only way that I could "fix" it was to fold up a piece of paper and shove it in there to make the headlight tight. That actually worked, but I am gonna have to find a more permanent wedge. That screw is in there now, and it won't budge...won't go forward or backwards. So yeah...I messed up.

What I didn't like on these headlights is the locking mechanism for the high beams. While similar in design to the stockers, they used a very thin, flimsy piece of metal, so it took some tweaking to get the bulbs in without them feeling lose.

Tomorrow I am gonna re-aim the headlights again since I kept messing with it tonight.

Thanks for all the input guys! And I love how it looks when I lock and unlock the car.

Manny

Quick Reply: Quick question on Halo lights wiring