Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hooker too quiet? On a relatively big cammed 408? I'm doubting that...

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2006, 12:25 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Hooker too quiet? On a relatively big cammed 408? I'm doubting that...

I'm debating between magnaflow and hooker catback to replace the insanely loud/raspy LT/ORY/LM setup I have now. Yes, someone else has a thread up debating these two catbacks as well, but it's a bit of a different ballpark with bigger cubes/cam (408 with a 244/248 635/627 112 cam). I was almost sold on the magnaflow from people saying the Hooker is too quiet.... until I found this clip on ls1 sounds... http://www.ls1sounds.com/Hooker/hook...ads_garage.wmv . The hooker sounds loud as hell, and it's not even on big cubes or a big cam (relatively). If the hooker is that much quieter than the magnaflow then I definitely don't want the magnaflow b/c it sounds like it will be the same as my LM right now in terms of rasp/drone. Bottom line, I want the drone GONE and I want to cut down on the rasp as much as possible. I will entertain ideas such as: go true duals, put a magnaflow on with a catted y and install a (dual) cutout, put a hooker on with (or without) catted y, etc. Either way, explain your reasoning. I would like some sort of definitive answer, if possible, from bigger cube people who have had experience trying to eliminate rasp/drone and how they solved it. If you have sound clips, even better. I'm killing myself here trying to make a decision
Old 01-07-2006, 12:47 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Save your money and buy some real heads...j/k but seriously, true duals will just increase the problem. I would run a 3.5" cat back with a really quiet muffler and a cutout. That way you have the power when you need it, uncorked it will outflow the true duals, and corked will be more comfortable.
Old 01-07-2006, 12:49 AM
Banned

alright i might be able to help you out here...Back home my friend has a TA with a 383 comp 304 cam, LT's, ORY, and Magnaflow...The thing is rediculously loud, to the point where you can't carry a conversation inside the car...Drone on the highway was absolutely horrible, and it is loud at all times...

Now i have Mac headers, ORY, and the hooker catback...It's perfect as far as sound goes, not loud at all around town...It has a nice deep tone with zero rasp...When WOT people have said my car is louder than my friends, and sounds much cleaner and better overall

Personally i think his car sounds like horseshit...if that makes a sound even

hope this helps...
Old 01-07-2006, 01:06 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Nate_Taufer
Save your money and buy some real heads...j/k but seriously, true duals will just increase the problem. I would run a 3.5" cat back with a really quiet muffler and a cutout. That way you have the power when you need it, uncorked it will outflow the true duals, and corked will be more comfortable.
F you In due time, man. First things first... and that is exhaust. What exactly is a "quiet" muffler and does anyone actually run one?

WsSick - I know what you mean, the sound is absolutely insane, it's indescribable.
Old 01-07-2006, 01:16 AM
Banned

maybe a hooker or a choke master. I'll talk to my buddy tomorrow to see what he is running on his mustang. He has a stupid big cam and his exhaust is quiet as ****. I'll get back with more info.

Nate
Old 01-07-2006, 01:17 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,483 Likes on 1,067 Posts

Originally Posted by ArcticZ28
.....to replace the insanely loud/raspy LT/ORY/LM setup I have now.
the sound is absolutely insane, it's indescribable.
I can describe it. At WOT it sounds like a kazoo on crack.

If you want quiet, get an SLP dual/dual. You'll only hear it at WOT. And if you want to make it REALLY quiet, you could toss a Borla XR1 muffler or something similar in the I-pipe of the dual/dual setup.
Old 01-07-2006, 01:36 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
I can describe it. At WOT it sounds like a kazoo on crack.

If you want quiet, get an SLP dual/dual. You'll only hear it at WOT. And if you want to make it REALLY quiet, you could toss a Borla XR1 muffler or something similar in the I-pipe of the dual/dual setup.
I hate the SLP Dual Dual. I'll make an exhaust system out of nothing but flowmaster muffler's in series before I put that on my car. I'm leaning more towards a catted Y with Hooker (two things said to eliminate a lot of drone/rasp/loudness) and go with dual cutouts... unless someone else can come up with something better
Old 01-07-2006, 01:46 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

I hate the SLP Dual Dual.
Why?

It's stainless...

It flows great...

It's very quiet (what you apperantly want)...

Yeah it's heavy, and the tips aren't pretty; but tips can be changed if that's the issue, and as for weight if you're building a 408ci motor I don't think an extra dozen pounds will make much difference.
Old 01-07-2006, 02:10 AM
TECH Addict

I went from a LM to Hooker, and it's night and day. All the drone/ rasp is gone, cops barely notice me driving by, yet it sounds very deep and muscular at WOT, perfect really. With the LM it was obvious I had a cam, with the Hooker, it takes an educated ear to tell. My only warning is that you have to tack weld the tips, they come loose just tightening the allen screws. Lot of bang-for-the-buck too. Two thumbs up!
Old 01-07-2006, 02:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
Why?

It's stainless...

It flows great...

It's very quiet (what you apperantly want)...

Yeah it's heavy, and the tips aren't pretty; but tips can be changed if that's the issue, and as for weight if you're building a 408ci motor I don't think an extra dozen pounds will make much difference.
I hate it b/c you're paying $600 for the "SLP" on it. No way I'm gonna pay that much for that. It'll cost less to put cats on AND buy a Hooker cat-back.

Predator - The thing is that the Hooker does sound quieter with stock cubed motors, but with bigger cubes and big cam it gets worse (at least that's what I'm hearing from the clips). Any possible way you could get some clips for me so that I can hear your setup at least? I'd really appreciate it.
Old 01-07-2006, 07:03 AM
TECH Addict

Arctic, good point, the thread was about Hooker with a 408ci engine, not 346 like mine.

I wish I could post you a sound clip, but right now my car is stored until spring. If you're still interested I could send you a clip in the spring. Sorry.
Old 01-07-2006, 07:59 AM
TECH Junkie

I knnow that my car is not bigger cubes but my combo sounds great. somewhat quiet at idle, and loud at wot. If I were you I would get a catted y-pipe with the hooker and run electric dumps. The car would still soumd great at idle with the catted y and hooker. Doing it this way is even price frendly, and sounds good. are you running 1 7/8 headers yet?
Old 01-07-2006, 08:46 AM
TECH Addict

i think the hooker with the catted y and dual electric cutouts would be your best option also.with your hp i don't think hardly any muffler will actually be quiet but the hooker can tame alot of sound.the hooker has alittle rasp on the low revs but the cats should take care of that,obviously.
Old 01-07-2006, 10:56 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

I hate it b/c you're paying $600 for the "SLP" on it. No way I'm gonna pay that much for that. It'll cost less to put cats on AND buy a Hooker cat-back.
Understood.... but what about a used system..or even just a used dual/dual muffler? Would that be an option?

You could reuse the LM I-pipe and resonator, then have an exhaust shop cut your system at the axle and build a new rear section with a small bit of 3" pipe for the inlet and reuse however much is needed of your LM tail pipes & tips for the rest. You could have a cutout put in the I-pipe at the same time for track use. This way you have a LM resonator + a dual/dual muffler for cruising and just open the cutout for full power......

Just a thought.
Old 01-07-2006, 10:58 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know this is concerning a bigger cubed car, but my buddy runs Mac mids, ORY and Hooker with a bullet in the I-pipe on a H/C car. One of the best sounding cars I have heard. No drone, no rasp and it is so beefy sounding. However, it is very tame even at WOT. It is somewhat loud, but not too much at all. And you really do hear when you want to. Even with normal cruising, it is there, but not intrusive at all. Adding in the bigger cubes, I think it would still be badass sounding, but not too much. My system is quite a bit louder, and I don't have that much done at all.
Old 01-07-2006, 11:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

black01 - I'm running stepped 1 7/8 LT's

RPM - thanks for the hackjob idea j/k. I think I'm leaning more towards the Hooker, catted y, and cutouts. That seems like one of the better options right now.
Old 01-07-2006, 11:32 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

RPM - thanks for the hackjob idea j/k.
LOL.....

Seriously though, if you go to the right exhaust shops, their 'hackjobs' can become a very nice custom system. So long as the welder is very good.

I have a local shop that I've used in the past to swap out mufflers only and reuse the remainder of an exisiting system, under certain circumstances, and they've always made it look damn near perfect from the back and underneath. They've also done Y-pipe customization (cut/paste) work for me that looked/fit great.
Old 01-07-2006, 01:36 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have jet hot Lt's, hooker y and hooker cat back on my 383ci 246 248 .615 114. I say its too quiet at idle. I does sound good at WOT. Loud but not to loud.
I want to switch to duals cause I like hearing the big cams with duals.
Old 01-07-2006, 01:46 PM
SSU's Drunk Typing Whore

Magnaflow and a cutout
Old 01-07-2006, 07:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

RPM - I'm gonna try out my "plug and play" options first, but I do have someone that can fab up whatever I want. It's just a matter of what I want to do. I'd like to get something off the shelf that fits my needs... but the question is if i can even find something like that.

Lithium - how bout you send me a clip