Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Boost/ HP limits for a STOCK LS1 shortblock?

Old 01-08-2006, 02:23 AM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Default Boost/ HP limits for a STOCK LS1 shortblock?

My main Question concerns boost and HP. I recently had a friend destroy his rings with an STS running 5-7PSI. Spooky. (Engine had around 20K miles I think). I also have heard in the past that the stock LS1 shortblock can only handle 550HP before the rods and other parts begin failing. I already have LT's, a TR224 cam, tuning, and a K&N FIPKII. The valvetrain is upgraded, but the rest of the engine is STOCK. This is giving me 435HP at the crank...... so adding 100+HP would bring me near the 550hp at the crank limit.

So, what are the boost and hp limits I shouldn't exceed on the stock engine?

I've searched and read...but have no good answer to my question. Any insight would be appreciated. BTW, I have 19K on the engine now and want it to last a good 3 years or so (another 20-30K) after adding boost. This will be with 90% street use and 10% track forays. I'm still researching what I'd prefer (being a single turbo or an ATI Procharger).
Old 01-08-2006, 02:25 AM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

the rods give out at 400 rwhp, the pistons at 416, the block cracks at 450 and the heads lift at 401.

700 rwhp is possible if you know what you are doing, it has almost nothing to do with parts.
Old 01-08-2006, 07:25 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most people that I hear about that ruin their engines when using an STS Turbo, do so because they did not have their combination tuned. Many people seem to think they can bolt on an STS kit and go have fun, and maybe some day, get the car tuned. I would always add larger injectors, a bigger fuel pump and get computer tuning done. The factory air/fuel ratio is way too lean for an engine with forced induction.

With your cam and headers, you could add an ATI ProCharger pullied for 8 psi of boost, and with injectors, pump and a good tune you won't have any problems. 500 rwhp on my Mustang Chassis Dyno is the limit to what we see as the all around dependability of the stock bottom end. You can occasionally push past this, but we try not to do it on our customer's cars. Your engine with it's camshaft, along with the camshaft that you have, would be probably right at this limit. Bob

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Boost/ HP limits for a STOCK LS1 shortblock?