Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

O2 Sims installed, SES light still on?...

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2006, 12:46 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default O2 Sims installed, SES light still on?...P1153, flashing SES

Just took off the cats and had the muffler shop fab an ORY pipe. I ran it for 2 days...the SES light came on, then I installed the Casper O2 Sims just now. I turned the car back on...SES light still there . I unplugged the battery and will let it sit for awhile...will that kick the SES light off?

Also, the muffler guy installed bungs for the sensors, I took those out and will now attempt to plug them up so I don't have open exhaust going into my car...I completely removed the actual O2 sensors...will the O2 sims just hang there under the car and be fine?...didn't see anywhere to really zip tie them...?? Thanks fellas!

Last edited by pdanrichey; 01-14-2006 at 10:00 AM.
Old 01-08-2006, 03:32 PM
TECH Resident

New problem now. I unplugged the battery for a couple of hours and when I turned the car back on, the SES light was gone...figured everything was fine, although the car was idling much higher than normal...1200 - 1300 rpms. As I'm driving home, the car felt like it was pulsing almost while driving at a constant speed. During hard acceleration, it felt completely normal. I figured the car may have just been learning or such...no big deal. I turn the car off, then get back in 5 minutes later and drive somewhere else...the freaking SES light is on again!!??...but it didn't seem to "pulse" once the SES light turned back on. The O2 sims are on and should be working...what the crap is going on??
Old 01-08-2006, 04:39 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd say check the code and see what that tells you.
Old 01-08-2006, 05:14 PM
Launching!

Your code is probally an o2 code, obviously. Probally since it didnt detect the post-cat o2s, or it could be from the pre-cat o2 sensors. Did you use o2 extensions, or did you splice into them? You could be getting a slow singal from the o2, which would cause the pcm to turn on the MIL. Disconnecting the bettery couldve cause the pulsing, but may have not. Our cars do adapt to their driver, and by unplugging it you erased all the data it had, so it simply had to re-learn your driving habits. Or it could be something else with the o2's again. Let me know when you get the code pulled.
Old 01-08-2006, 07:58 PM
TECH Resident

I didn't splice into anything. I simply took the O2 sensors out completely, plugged the hole in the piping where the bungs were and then plugged the O2 sims into each post cat sensor. They don't really hang down much from under the car, I simply just plugged the O2 sim in and figured all was fine. It was for 25 miles later that the SES light came back on. I'll try to make it to Auto Zone tomorrow to run the codes. I'm thinking I should just deal with the SES light until the end of this year when I'm going to do a few things to my car...I'll get a real tune and I'll sell my Hypertech programmer and the O2 Sims...probably will pay for almost half of the tune, in which case, I'll probably get more out of it than I do now. Does that sound like a decent idea?
My next question is, even if the LS1 edit takes the post O2 sensors out of the PCM and the SES light turns off, when I get my car inspected, it's not going to throw a code will it????
Old 01-08-2006, 08:04 PM
Launching!

I meant, did you splice into the pre-cat o2s... seeing as stock they wont reach the new bungs on the LTs...
Old 01-08-2006, 09:47 PM
12 Second Club

I think you should get it scanned for codes. It might not be the O2 after all. It could be something else like the AIR system..
just my .02 cents
Old 01-08-2006, 10:39 PM
Launching!

Wouldnt a problem with the air in turn also throw a o2 in most cases?
Old 01-08-2006, 11:08 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by BlutVonSchwachen
I meant, did you splice into the pre-cat o2s... seeing as stock they wont reach the new bungs on the LTs...
I didn't touch the pre cat O2 sensors.
Old 01-09-2006, 04:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Like said above, need to check the codes. Might me more than one
Old 01-10-2006, 09:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

perhaps its because you are a big stupid homo.

just kidding dan, this sucks
Old 01-12-2006, 12:14 PM
TECH Resident

The code it is throwing is P1153, which means a bank is running lean??... What the crap is this all about? I have noticed that at times, the car is idling harder than before and this morning, about driving for about 3 minutes, I gave it gas in 4 gear to accelerate at about 25mph...the car had nothing...like it was starving for gas. It was pulsing if you will. Then, about 10 seconds later, the car was running fine. I love cars...but I hate them!
Old 01-12-2006, 01:32 PM
10 Second Club

check you plugs...see what they look like and see whast cylinder is running lean

that will help us diagnose it better
Old 01-12-2006, 01:34 PM
TECH Resident

Is it a cylinder doing it or does it have something to do with the exhaust after deleting the cats? Everywhere I have read regarding the P1153 code indicates I have an exhaust leak...or not enough heat is getting to the passenger side front O2. I have been meaning to pull the plugs though lately...make sure there are no aluminum shavings or anything.
Old 01-13-2006, 03:50 PM
TECH Resident

Freaking A...this morning, the SES light started flashing at me for about 10 seconds! Why the hell is the engine misfiring??? All I did was take the stupid cats off!!!! This makes no sense to me...anyone have an answer to that?
Old 01-13-2006, 06:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

what the gay?!?! i guess we will have a craptacular sunday
Old 01-13-2006, 07:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by pdanrichey
Freaking A...this morning, the SES light started flashing at me for about 10 seconds! Why the hell is the engine misfiring??? All I did was take the stupid cats off!!!! This makes no sense to me...anyone have an answer to that?
How many miles are on your O2's?

Removing the cats normally causes these cars to run a little rich. With the problems you are seeing, I'm wondering if your O2's might be shot.

Also, might want to change the plugs.
Old 01-13-2006, 10:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

his car only has 20,xxx miles on it, i dont think either the plugs or teh sensors should be bad yet...right?
Old 01-14-2006, 09:49 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by WILWAXU
How many miles are on your O2's?

Removing the cats normally causes these cars to run a little rich. With the problems you are seeing, I'm wondering if your O2's might be shot.

Also, might want to change the plugs.

Ultimately, this is what will end up happening. As The_Supra said (my bro in-law), we'll have a very craptacular Sunday!!...pulling a plug or 2 on the passenger side...re-installing the passenger side front O2...etc. I hate my life! Aspirations of turbos and playing Battlefield 2 is all that keeps me sane! Other than that, life sucks!! If I have to drain my freaking turbo fund to repair my fagtard car, I'm going to be PISSED!!!!!!!

On a plus note however, I could always tell my wife...the car is broke, I need X amount of dollars over my turbo fund to fix it. Then, go with forged internals, etc...hallleeerrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!! ****, she's here!...later

Quick Reply: O2 Sims installed, SES light still on?...