Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam bearing replacement

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2006, 05:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Cam bearing replacement

I'll be doing h/c soon and I'll be pulling the motor to make it easier along with a few other upgrades I'll be doing at the same time. I'd also like to replace the cam bearings, mainly for piece of mind during the swap. Does anyone have instructions and pictures about replacing the cam bearings on ls1's? What exactly is involved?

Thanks.
Old 01-08-2006, 08:08 PM
wrencher

Removal of the engine is required. That is a precise installation that takes special tools & the know how to install them. That is generally a rebuild/overhaul operation.
Old 01-08-2006, 08:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wrencher
Removal of the engine is required. That is a precise installation that takes special tools & the know how to install them. That is generally a rebuild/overhaul operation.
I will be removing the engine. What special tools would I need? What is the process and the "know how" needed for this task?
Old 01-08-2006, 11:15 PM
LS1TECH.com Sponsor

You need a special Cam Bearing Remover/Installer Tool. Lisle Tools makes a kit, but if I remember correctly its around $200. Most will let the machine shop perform this task as they have the tool and have done many in the past. If you arent going to do it more than once, it really doesnt warrant getting the tool.

Old 01-09-2006, 09:11 AM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by wrencher
Do you know if it is possible to replace just the front bearing w/o pulling the motor? I was doing a cam swap this weekend (my first) and when I pulled out the old one I could see that the front bearing does not look good. I don’t know if the others are OK yet but I am borrowing am endoscope to check them out. If it’s only the front bearing I would like to avoid pulling the engine if at all possible.

Quick Reply: Cam bearing replacement